View Full Version : making a chainsaw spark

10-17-2009, 11:56 AM
is there any other way to make a eletric chainsaw spark besides hooking a car battery and chainlink fence.i use a chainsaw in my act ,i want to make it look like it still has a chain on it when i scrape the ground near there feet.thanks for the help.

Allen H
10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
A magnesium strip will spark against metal and rare earth element will make a spark against concrete and stone.

10-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Okay.... heres a couple quick fixes for you.... ( Not much time left ~ the year is almost over so ya better hurry ! )

Yes Magnesium will spark against metal.... but be careful ~ sparks in the wrong place can cause a problem and fast !

Search your local surroundings for some Magnesium or a magnesium round bar. ( You can cut it down to size and shape it as needed ) Attach this piece to the end of your saw blade by drilling 2 holes one at each end of the bar as well as 2 holes alined with the others. ( COUNTER SINK THE SCREWS / BOLTS ) the last thing you need is a sharp edge !

VIOLA !! - Magnesium throws redish orange sparks

Another idea ~ and I had experience with this is TITANIUM .... Low riders use it to throw sparks when they drag their vehicles... now, I dont know how it works at lower speeds.

Both of these you can purchase locally in round bar stock - cut em down and try them out. I do know Magnesium only works on metal surfaces ( Not on concrete )

( Remember ) if you happen to have a Magnesium fire, DO NOT TRY TO PUT IT OUT WITH WATER !!!

Magnesium creates its own oxygen when water is applied making a brighter, stronger, more intese fire.

Another idea is to get flint steel and attach it the same way - this only works on metal surfaces

Ken Spriggs
01-20-2010, 12:29 PM
SOOOOO if I have a magnesium fire.......hit it with a bucket of water.....right?
Hmmmmm wonder what kind of trouble I can get in.

03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Just to maybe help you out and keep things safe here is a small amount of info on magnesium. This is a class D fire and WILL NOT be put out by water. That will make things worse. Also you should know that a common ABC extinguisher will not put this out. You will need a class D extinguisher and these are a little spendy. Just trying to help out.

03-13-2010, 10:15 PM
We have done a haunted for about 15years and this was the frist year to use a chain saw and we had more scary then ever but I did not like that fact that we had so many people come a say that they got hit or tuched even when I now it didnt happen because i worked it for a nigh or two and they say I tuched them and I now I didnt so we are not going to use it any more frist and last year for that lol