View Full Version : Flame Retardants

05-19-2010, 08:19 AM

I'm curious what flame retardants do you use to treat your walls, etc?

Also, do you typically get the FR that you mix into your paints or do you get the kind you apply first, then paint your walls on top of that? Also, what are some of the best prices available that meet the class A rating?


05-19-2010, 02:12 PM
You need to check with your local fire authority to see what they will allow you to use.

Our haunt falls under the jurisdiction of the Georgia State Fire Marshall. His orginal request was that we use fire retardant plywood sheeting. He did not trust the use of applied flame retardants. If we wanted to use the applied retardant we would have to prove to him that it was effective so we built several 4' x 4' panels and brought them to the local fire departments burn furnace for testing.

Here are the results:

Raw wood wall panels sprayed with New York Fireshield passed.

Wood wall panels painted with New York Fireshield intumescent paint passed.

Wood wall panels sprayed with NYFS and then sprayed with Senergy passed.

Wood wall panels sprayed with NYFS and covered with "flame retardant" vacuform panels FAILED. The vacuform melted and turned into a puddle of molten plastic. As a result the Fire Marshall will not let us use full vacuform panels. He is allowing us to use vacuform patches.

2" thick EPS sheets sprayed with NYFS and painted with NYFS intumescent paint passed.

The moral of the story is check with your fire marshall before you build or spend lots of money on materials that will not be approved!

05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Excellent info and advice than you Kevin.

What kind of vacuform were you using?