View Full Version : what size ?

bone collector
06-16-2010, 07:09 PM
What size plwood is usually used for wall panels 3/8 1/2 or 1/4 ? Just curious dont want to over build them . Just wandering what the norm is . Thanx

Front Yard Fright
06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Whatever's cheaper.

06-16-2010, 09:46 PM
We do 2x3 with 1/4 inch plywood

06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
If it is structural and is supporting something or being ran or bumped into I would use 1/2" 3/8 or 1/4 would be fine for none action areas.

Dark Attraction
06-19-2010, 10:02 PM
3/8" for everything. Perfect balance of weight, cost, and durability. I always use exterior glue plywood, CDX or Struct 1 (never OSB.) It costs more but you get what you pay for.

06-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes osb sucks for long term building...

Jim Warfield
06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
if you are putting a big scare in a hallway place the thicker plywood across from it to handle their possible reactions.
Just a walk through hallway can survive 1/4 plywood unless you have a roudy wall-punching(testing) bunch of drunks or simple-mined idiots who deem it necesarry to punch and kick everything around them for no real reason. (You will find some of these on the loose)
If you need to buy thinner stock and are concerned about possible impact areas, reinforce from the inside with addtional cross memebers 2 by 2 or bigger in the possible punch and kick zones for the average sized person.
If you need a strong wall on both sides you can save on wall thickness by going to 3/4 plywood and save on the crossmembers you won't need. The additional expense will pay for itself over flakey osb each time you have to handle/install it again, someday these thicker pieces could even be used to build something perminent, the odds of osb being there and usable years down the road are slim to none.
I HATE osb, when you saw it it throws nasty flakes all over you . Paint it..try a dozen coats to stop it from looking like crap..just the time saved (that you could be doing something else) is well worth the cost of the better product.
Many walls here I have built are steel angle reinforced plywood, bolted to it or poured concrete and bricks (for looks) The steel angles were bed frames in their previous life. Some bed frames cannot be drilled though and some of them seem to weld, then much later fall apart because of the type of metal they are. Possibly a breed between cast iron and ductile?