View Full Version : Where to buy an AC horn/buzzer/whistle?

08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm looking for a horn/buzzer/electric whistle that I can plug into a floor mat sensor and have it go off when somebody steps on it. All I keep finding are horns that connect via 12 volts to an automobile. Does anybody know of a website where I can buy an electric whistle (which would be my ULTIMATE choice), a horn, or a loud buzzer that comes with a power cord that simply plugs into a regular household outlet and simply is on the whole time power is going to it?

Thanks for your help!!

Dark Attraction
08-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think it is safe to run AC directly through a floor mat. Be sure to check the rating first.


McMaster-Carr is the best place to look for anything and everything industrial. You will find all sorts of bells and whistles there. Literally.

08-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah the floor mat is a switch connected to a power outlet. You can use up to 100 Watts on it but I just can't find a horn or buzzer to actually plug into it.

Jim Warfield
08-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Sells a transformer taking 120 volts and turning it to DC current. Hook the 12 voltDC bell into such a transformer and then switch the transformer's 120 volt power source.
transformer "ON" = Bell "ON".
I wire most transformers this way to eliminate the transformer being on so much.

Atrox Freak
08-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Check at your local supply houses like Grainger. We looked into getting some from there one time. It is a Claxton type buzzer used in some fire houses. Hope this helps.


08-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Ok I found a transformer for 110v-12v and it can connect to a cigarette lighter plug. I bought a cigarette plug to 2 lead adapter so now I have 12 volts on my 2 leads.

Only question I have is where do I find a 12 volt horn/buzzer/whistle that is less than 100watts and under 1 amp?

Also does a horn require anything fancy to operate or is it just connect the 12 volts and it starts? Do I need a relay or anything?

08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Here's the two things I bought so far:



The horns I keep coming across all seem to be over 1amp and according to Amazon.com it can only handle 1 amp.

WOW...I never realized it'd be this complicated to set up a scare. Any sample playback devices out there with a built in speaker I could use instead and just put a whistle or buzzer sound on it??

Kelly Anderson
08-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I prefer to run my electrical controls in low voltage (24vac). We've used a fire alarm bell in the past that operates off 120vac. And use a 24vac transformer to operate a relay that switches on and off the 120vac bell. This way you would only have low-voltage wired out to your switch matt.

Items needed:
qty. 1 - 120vac fire alarm bell (fire safety supply, possibly grainger)
qty. 1 - 120vac to 24vac transformer (doorbell section at home depot)
qty. 1 - 24vac relay (grainger) check heating and cooling supplies
qty. 1 - switch matt

If you look around you may be able to find a bell operating from 24vac. And in that case you wouldn't need the relay. However you would need to make sure the transformer has enough amps to power the bell.


It is also possible to get a 120vac to 12vdc transformer. In that case you wouldnt need the relay either if you use a horn from an automobile which is also 12vdc. I would wire the switch on the low-voltage (12vdc) side for safety. Especially if it is in an area where it could get walked on. And even in that case you should protect the wires as much as possible. But again you would need to make sure you have enough amps from the transformer to operate the horn.