View Full Version : Getting the towns ok

06-25-2011, 07:18 PM
How do you sweet talk the zoning board or get their blessing? Building owners seem confused as to how to classify me too. I was told by a Fire Marshall it's a public assembly.

06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
"Sweet talk" may be a little high in the expectations dept, but you can gain favor by being 110% prepared and ready to speak thier language when you meet. Your fire marshal is right- it is a public assembly, and our process ended up as our haunt being coded like a museum- public assembly with no seating.

I was polite and respectful when we met more than a half dozen times to exchange information- and I always returned with the answers to their questions. Our building is zoned light industrial, but gained approval for its use as a public assembly without a zoning change.

Make sure to ask for approvals in writing.

06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Per NFPA 101 Life Safety Code a haunt is classified as a special amusement occupancy which has stricter requirements than a general public occupancy.

Dark Scares
06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
We are classified as Special Assembly or Public Assembly as well. I am guessing other cities will be different. Read your codes and know them before you go in. Be polite. It is all about getting those permits.