View Full Version : Audio production ?'s

03-21-2012, 06:32 AM
I been wondering. I have a guy wanting to help with a commercial or two for our haunt. He's suppose to be "good", but we'll see. I was curious as to permissions with purchased music? I have a midnight syndicate cd somewhere and a few others. My question is this. If I purchased a MS soundtrack cd, should I be allowed to use it in my commercial? Since I'm using it in the haunt?

that... that's about it. Thought I had more questions but I guess not. I can b.tch about the keyboard i'm using I guess. It sucks. Shift doesn't wanna work half the time and neitherdoesmyspacebar.



03-21-2012, 06:57 AM
You need permission as you're now using it to make money.

Dr Spooktakular
03-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Just go on MS's website and send them an email letting them know what you'd like to do. All you have to do is ask them and then display one of their posters at the haunt and you're good to go. MS peeps are awesome, I've never had them say no to any requests, they're awesome peeps to work with. Virgil is the same way, easy to work with. STAY AWAY FROM NOX ARCANA!!

Prelude to a Nightmare
03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
I am a composer of haunt music and know this in and out. With any group like Midnight Syndicate or Nox Arcana, or myself you usually just need to register, this means go to their site and let them know. It is a legal issue, but for the most part we are more than happy to just know who is using it and send you advertisements and such. It's a fair trade, since we spend ALOT of time on the music. I can only speak for myself and say, I'm more than happy to just have you register, I don't speak for Midnight Syndicate of Nox, But I'm sure they feel the same way, as long as you let them know. Hope this helped. Any more questions you can contact me at preludetoanightmare.com (http://www.preludetoanightmare.com)

03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Thank you much guys. I'll get on it this weekend and see what happens.


03-23-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm an audio engineer. I do TV and radio commercials. The use of licensed music is tricky. You can't use commercial music without getting rights to use it. That's expensive. You can however use about a 10 second sample without any legal problems but has to be used in the correct manner.

Since Ed at Midnight is easily approachable and available for contact it's much easier to acquire permission to use their music. Most the time they will do a trade like a banner exchange or something. As far as using their music in your haunt he just asks that you register and hang up a poster. Very easy.

Nox I believe now charges $100 or so for registration and the use of their music in your haunt. I can't remember exactly but I think they have a clause that states it can't be used for commercial use though. So look into that.

Aside from just the use of music you also have to get permission to edit the music. It's illegal to re-edit music from its copyrighted form. If your doing a :30 or :60 second commercial you have to get permission to edit the music to your liking. Most songs run around 3 minutes.

When you buy a CD or download an album you are only allowed to use that music for personal use, not commercially.

There are numerous composition companies that you can get licenses to use as well. You simply just set up an account with them and pay for the tracks you use. We call that needle drop music in advertising. Killer tracks, Xtreme music, non stop just to name a few.

You can use public domain music without permission but remember the laws were changed many years ago. Public domain is now anything before 1922. Anything after requires permission.

One more thing to keep in mind, If you are using commercial music in your show that has been copyrighted you must register for an ASCAP license. That covers you for the use of music in your show. If you don't have that license and you attract a lot of attention you could possibly get slammed with a massive lawsuit. Better to make sure your safe just in case. It's very affordable. Also, If you have live bands and they play cover tunes you also should get a BMI license. Thats for live performance.

Hope that helps..

03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks, it does help a lot.