View Full Version : Flicker Switches

05-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I know of the flicker switchs that are great and only work for Incandesent light bulbs, but do any of you know a way of doing it with a long florescent light where it flickers like it would have a bad ballast. ( <---- Jim insert joke here). We would really love to have that effect but would like it to do it right.


05-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Find an old ballast....
and yes it creeps people out. light but no light

05-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Hay Joe looking at your avter screws with my eyes, no joke it makes them go out of focus just a little. Is that happening to anyone else or is it just me? As for the post, I'm not sure this will work as I have not tried it but I was told if you put some tin foil on the light from one end to the other and have it touching the ring on both ends of the bulb it will keep shorting out and flicker. Not sure that will work or even if it is safe but, you could try it.

05-13-2007, 03:36 PM
It is designed to do that....
Cool effect. I wish I could get it portrait sized and hang in the haunt.

Jim Warfield
05-13-2007, 11:18 PM
To heck with a photo, call her agent , book her to appear!

05-14-2007, 10:52 AM
The home made florescent light flicker has been one of my holy grail projects for a long time. No one I know has been able to come up with anything that will work reliably.
GEP Productions (http://www.gepproductions.com/accessories/black_lights.html)has a strobing florescent blacklight unit that might be able to pull off the effect, but it sales for $695. That is a little high for a flickering light effect.

05-14-2007, 07:58 PM
i know something i been using for yrs that will work.and its cheap,but reliable http://cgi.ebay.com/HALLOWEEN-HAUNTED-HOUSE-SPECIAL-FX-LIGHTNING-UNIT-New_W0QQitemZ150122641727QQihZ005QQcategoryZ910QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

05-14-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't think that will work with a florescent light. I don't know, maybe it will. Have you used it with florescent lights before?

Horror Master
05-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Pale Night Productions who were at TransWorld had a Damaged Light Emulator that was designed to be used with florescent fixtures. Its listed on this page: http://www.palenightproductions.com/fxsupplies.html

05-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Wow, That is great... This is a bit more then I was hoping to pay for. I thought that there might be a cheaper alternative. I guess I will just use a basic flicker switch with a incadesent bulb. Thanks again.


05-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Now that you got me thinking again on this problem, I came up with a new idea that might work. It is a simple idea that will be a lot less expensive. Let me test it out, and I'll get back to you. Off to the laboratory!

05-18-2007, 04:23 PM
You could build one out of a spare Prop1 (or 2) output if you're into that...

06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, I tried my idea, and it worked. Basically all you need to do is buy a white neon light, the kind they use for under body lights on cars, attach a 12 volt dc wall wart to it, use paint to frost the outside of the tube, and then hook it up to any regular incandescent flicker circuit. The diameter is a little smaller than a normal florescent bulb, but the effect is just like a florescent light going bad.

06-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Where do you buy the white neon bulb and/or fixture?

Any kind of make or model that I should look for?


06-08-2007, 08:29 PM
You can get them at Autozone or off e-bay. Here is an e-bay auction with a set....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Underglow-Underbody-4-Pc-Car-Neon-Kit-Lights-WHITE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33714QQihZ002QQit emZ120127858371QQrdZ1
Those are in a set, but you can get them at Autozone in sigles in different sizes.

damon carson
06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I havent tried this out myself but I know it would work it just depends if you want a room with any kind of sound or effect. If anything you could use the sound effect of electricity where it sounds like the bulbs are going out but anyway. Before you go saying what the h e double ll is he talking about. Try getting a light mixer that works on sound. Plug the florescent light fixture in it. Adjust the mixer on the ratio you want the lights to flash. Come to think of it I have done this with a regular florescent blacklight to make it strobe. I bought some of the thirty dollar ones at spensors but then after I bought them a light bulb went off in my head. And I got tinkering around and this worked. Its worth a try. On my light mixer it even strobed to patterns ect. Dont know how long it will work before it burns the bulb completely out but I imagine its not anything worse than the fixtures on the strobing blacklights I bought.