View Full Version : Does anyone know where I can find?

Dylan Jacobs
11-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Old looking (Reproductions) oil lamp wall sconces? Maybe 1800's era. All I can find is authentic ones that are $200 +. Any help would be appreciated.

"Keep up the good haunt"

Front Yard Fright
11-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Keep an eye out for them at local antique malls or look into creating them yourself.

I'm sure Allen will chime in, but I'd look into buying just the glass part of the lamp and seeing if you can make up a fixture out of PVC.

Allen H
11-11-2012, 12:47 PM
*Chiming in* Can you post a pic or a link to a style that you like? then I will know how to best help you.

Dylan Jacobs
11-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks, here is a photo. I will be drilling the bottom out to insert a flickering light bulb.

Allen H
11-11-2012, 01:32 PM
How many do you need?

Dylan Jacobs
11-11-2012, 01:43 PM
How many do you need?

Im shooting for two right now, but may need more depending on my plans. Thanks

Allen H
11-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Fabrication will be your best bet. Looks like you will come out about $20 a piece or a bit less. Do you mind real glass or do you want plastic?
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000083906711P?sid=KDx01192011x00 0001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=33-104982175-2
forget the bottom, you dont need that part, you are paying the $5 for just the top glass and holder.

These book ends will attach to the wall and make the shelf to hold the lamp. Metal shears will cut them to shape where needed

The rest of the lap is made from good thick garage sale or warning Dog signs
Look at the lamp you wantyou will need to glue a piece of sign to the back of the bookshelf to get the back plate. a piece on the bottom to be the base. Leave tabs when you cut them to fold and glue them together (super glue will work great). the curved front and sides is another piece, then a top piece that will have a hole in it to hold the lamp. You might want to add a few supports into it for structural integrity, and details like the match book holder, handle, and extra glue on pieces that look like the folded metal edges along the back plate.
Then hot glue the seams just a bit so it looks like a weld. take the Glass and metal off coat it with spray adhesive and let it dry (it will stay tacky) then spray paint your base color. The adhesive will help the paint bind to the plastic. You are going for a galvanized look so paint accordingly. That should help you recreate the look that you are going for.
Hope that helps,
Allen H

Dylan Jacobs
11-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks Allen, I will see what I come up with and will post it. I got me a Kmart to hit up. Thanks again.