View Full Version : Help Needed - Flickering Light

10-15-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm trying to create a flickering effect in the bathroom of my haunted house. My goal is to use a greenish light and have it flicker occasionally. I'm going for a Saw-ish feel to it, making people as uncomfortable as possible while in the bathroom. In the tub, there will be a dead body and a toaster. REDRUM will be written on the wall across from the mirror.

Any tips would be a HUGE HELP!!!

Also, any tips for cheap and border-pushing effects is helpful. I want to make people want to vomit a little. This isn't a kiddie-party!


10-16-2007, 08:21 AM
First let's start with the light itself. You can find green colored light bulbs (don't buy any that exceed 500 watts) at any hardware store (Home Depot./Lowes). Now you need a lamp to put your light blub in. Here's the hard part, I say "hard" because this costs the most. Surf the internet for something called "Lighting FX". This little box will make your light flicker to music of your choosing. It'll come with directions on how to connect everything. Once everything is connected, hide the FX box in or behind something; cardboard boxes, whatever you see fit. I don't suggest you place it under the sink, due to risk of water leaks. You may hide the lamp or light source in the same way if you want people to not see where the light is coming from. If you do hide it, remove the lamp's shade to create more light.

Big Bear
10-16-2007, 11:39 PM
look for a flasher circut. I got mine at the local hardware store. Its a littile plug that will go inline with your lamp cord. the cost about 5 bucks and are used buy others for xmas lighting.

10-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Another very inexpensive option is a fluorescent lamp starter. Most any hardware store will have these. They come in different values, depending on the tube that they were designed for. Grab 2 or 3 different values and go home and try them.

Almost any basic light fixture will work. You simply need to cut the cord open and using the black or brown wire (or, "hot" wire if it's just 2 conductor lampcord like that found on clamp-lights). Wire the starter in line of the hot conductor and ta-da. Flickering lamp at random.

damon carson
10-22-2007, 05:06 PM
You can use something called a flasher plug or button. You can get them at a hardware store. They run about 3 to 6 bucks. It will give a party bulb a random flash. Not at cool as the other things mentioned but maybe good enough for what you want. Looks cool if the lamp has a shade on it. Also you could get an inexpensive light mixer plug any light or lamp into it. Then make sure the mixer has a sound input or reacts to sound. Then it will blink or flash with your music as well.