View Full Version : Town liability??

01-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Next week our organization will finally sit down with the selectmen and town manager with our proposition for the outside haunted attraction this fall. We have pretty much memorized answers to any and all questions they will most likely ask except ONE MAJOR ONE: LIABILITY! Basically, our proposition is that we will created a haunted trail on town owned land. All profits will be going to the animal rescue center in our town. So what do we say when they ask us about our idea of liability?? I really need more info about this, as this could be the fine line between the "go ahead" or the "sorry its just too much risk for the town". Please help. Thanks so much.

Haunted Hollows

Frighteners Entertainment
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Are you asking if you need to be insured?

01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
So, your not making any money from this then why should you carry the risk? Let them pony up for coverage.

01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
well im assuming we need to be insured its just the question of what do we say when the town asks "what about liability?" if i just start stuttering and looking into space it will not look good.

01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
thats what your insurance is for. The insurance we get covers my name, my company name, our volunteers, our sponsors and the city since they own the property.


Howie Slobber Erlich
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
You will probably just need to add the city as a hold harmless to your insurance policy. You can also offer to purchase a surety bond which will cover a certain amount of the legal fees if a law suit is filed.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Deadly Intentions Haunted House

01-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm just worried we will have no anwer for their question. And of course for them, it is much easier to say no then yes, so we really need to make a great proposal. Is this something that the town could easily cover, and if so what kind of things would i say? As you can tell, i'm new to the liability issues. Thanks

Frighteners Entertainment
01-03-2008, 05:55 PM
You need to get a quote (I'm sure someone here can point to an insurance company) from your insurance agent.