View Full Version : Sprayer Bottle

03-29-2008, 07:39 AM
This is a long shot, but I'm working on a project and I'm trying to find a spray bottle with a base that is a standard thread. I spent about an hour in Home Depot yesterday taking bottles of various sprayable cleaners and opening them trying to find one with standard threads where the spray pump screws on to the container. Most of the ones I looked at match up closest to garden hose thread, but not close enough.

Does anyone know of a particular product that is in a bottle like this? Or do you know of another type of small, hand operated sprayer that can be threaded on to something standard? I need a pump, so the sprayer types that work by compressing the material inside of a container will not work. This is driving me crazy. Something like this has to exist.

Greg Chrise
03-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure what you are going to be doing? Instead of actually threading to this bottle you can have a rubber or clear plastic hose and radiator or heater hose clamps? You might lose 3/8 of an inch to the bottom but it will all be in the name of science.

There are bottle to spray bug spray of fertilizer that have the intention of going on a garden hose? There are bug sprays that have a long pull out spray gun with a small tube going onto the medium.

There are many reservoirs with tube feeds at the bottom with remote pumps (12V) from the 70's to pumps on the bottom of the reservoir for windshield washer fluid on the car's windsheild.

A big mouthed lid can have a bulkhead fitting installed in brass fittings?

How much fluid must there be? Airbrush bottles have a screw on top and al little thingy for the non gravity feed models but and can take pressure but could be upside down with a tight tub on them. Sizes of refils go up to a quart and all have the same sized cap. It would be special order.

Go to metal tanks like disposable fire extiguishers, protable co2 tanks etc.

Go through the hospital where people are hooked up and just go shopping?

03-31-2008, 01:11 PM
This will be an inverted bladder type container, filled with water, gravity fed to the sprayer, then pumped back up a line to the output. Basically, there will be lines going to and from the sprayer handle.

The lines out of the container and out of the sprayer are leakproof, but I'm having trouble sealing the line going into the sprayer. A hose fitting with the correct threads would easily fix the problem. As it is, I have all but about 3 inches cut off of the feed tube going into the sprayer, some silicone tape wrapped around the tube, and the feed line from the bladder just pushed on. I've thought about just hot gluing all of the joints and taping everything up, but I'd like to be able to disassemble if I need to.

Back to the drawing board.

03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Could you just use a one way bladder valve? The kind that are used to, for instance, prime the outboard motor on a boat? If so, that would be very easy and inexpensive. Just a thought.

Greg Chrise
03-31-2008, 05:45 PM
If you can just push it on, I'm thinking vacuum fittings for a hose which range from very small to 3/8 inch or in brass at the harware store for pneumatic lines. Think of them as unions.

Jim Warfield
03-31-2008, 07:36 PM
The correct size drill bit and a tap to cut threads in metal could solve your problems . Just make sure that you first have all the other hoses, clamps , adapters before you do this.
A 3/4 pipe thread and a standard garden hose thread are not the same but I have seen many people screw them together tightly if one of the items is plastic.
"Cobble,cobble,cobble...and it's nowhere near Thanksgiving!

04-07-2008, 07:57 AM
There is such a thing as a 3/4 npt to garden hose adapter, look by the plumbing and sink etc repair fittings section of Lowes or Home Depot.

Or cut the damned hose and put on the appropriate fitting to make your solid mechanical connection. If you have to adapt the hose size up to the fitting size, that may cost a few bucks more.

04-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm not using a garden hose at all. I was just saying that the threads on the screw-on sprayer bottle tops almost match the threads on a garden hose. I was able to find a garden hose male to 1/4" hose and tried it... Leaked like a sieve. I'll figure something out.