View Full Version : Trailer Haut Techincal Help

10-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi guys,

First let to tell you how I have been doing things.

This was our 4th year of haunting at a Campground in NWPA (In main Building). Problem with this is Im limited on Space and I have to setup and tear down each year. Vary hard to do when making a Haunt. And due to weather constraints I cant stay open for the full month of Oct.

I have the space for a trailer haunt in a Over grown Back Field on the Campground Property. And I would have to run water and a couple of electric lines to that area for Power Sources. (Better than having a Generator running)

I have found a Company out of Ohio who can provide me with relatively inexpensive Old Used Simi Trailers for around $2800 - $3200 I'd like to start with 4-6 of these to start to build a haunt with.

I want to design this to be able to have several features 1 of which is to be mobile if we ever did decide to move it. and to be expandable so i can add more trailers as time goes on.

My biggest question to those who have used or seen this kind of haunt is how do i create a interconnection between the trailers that is waterproof and that will still give me a secure opening if the trailers are not parked in the configuration for the haunt.

Im guessing that one would build the Walls and rooms as if one was building a house with 2x4's and plywood. Would you also beef up the outer walls in this same manner?

My thinking would be to use a entry door for a house and do some sort of framing around that to make the connections between the trailers.

Thanks for your Help!!

Uptown Haunts
10-23-2008, 07:26 PM
The first thing you have to do is notify the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Rides and Measurement Standards in Harrisburg, Pa. You are also required to attend a special training seminar to become Class 1 certified. Your haunt must be inspected by the State and possibly by your local Fire Marshal and Building Code Inspector to ensure that it is up to code and safe to operate. As the haunt builder, your trailer haunt must meet specific ASTM standards, have an owner's manual explaining setup, how to operate, etc. Permits may also be required by your local jurisdiction. Get the necessary insurance coverage for your haunt. Opening without taking care of these issues could put you in a very difficult situation if something bad happens at some point in the future.


11-01-2008, 08:05 PM
the trailers themselves may be realitively inexpensive, but keeping them up to code can double the price.

I was going to buy a 40 foot storage container as an addition to our haunt. It would have cost $3000 to buy, however, after speaking with our fire marshall, it would have cost at least $6000 to keep it up to code.

I would have had to install many more fire exit doors, sprinkler system, alarm system, use only metal studs, fire retardant plywood, etc, etc.

I don't know what the laws are where you are but you may want to look into that before purchasing the units.

11-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi, I build this type of unit. I am from PA so I know what to do. We are reginized by the state as builders and have everything to build an engineer approved unit. As most think, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET YOUR INSPECTOR LICENCE. They want you to but you don't. I run a portable unit in PA and I don't have mine. You just need someone to inspect it and you have to fill out a daily inspection sheet yourself. I have one unit for sale. Give me a call at 610-909-9246 thanks, Ricky

11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I am only into my third year as a professional haunter and I can tell you the state got me immediately on my first year from posting on websites. Thank goodness they did because I had no idea about the PA Ride and Amusement Act.

I actually took my test last year and they are offering a class next week in Altoona PA. Here is the contact info. These guys are not here to shut us down but to help us with safety, fire, etc. They are really great to work with.

I would suggest getting your own license only because it's somewhat difficult to find a class 1 inspector in certain areas. If you have your own haunt and license, it's just easier than trying to track someone down. They also can charge anywhere from 50.00 to whatever to travel to inspect you.

You can actually get a haunted attraction license which is what I have. It's not a full blown class 1. If you have any questions, go to this website and talk to Joe, Tom or Natlie and they will help you out. I also have all the paperwork if you want to look at it.

Heather/Spook Haven Haunted House/Store 570-660-5504 or info@spookhaven.com

request of the PACE seminar committee, please be advised of the following:

The seminar in Altoona on November 10 thru 12 is a 24 hour seminar
Regardless of which class inspector you are, you must attend all three days of the seminar.
Restricted inflatable or class 1 inspectors must attend all three days of this advanced training to be eligible for renewal.
Failure to attend the third day of the seminar will not satisfy your training requirement for renewal.

The forth day of the seminar is for NAARSO Certification. Naarso inspectors who attend this seminar fro all four days will not need to attend the other seminar in Tennessee this winter.

The PACE seminar is still accepting registrations until the end of this month. For more information, see the PACE Seminar at the link below.

Bureau of Ride and Measurement Standards

Again, it is recommended that you attend as many training opportunities as possible.

Thank You
Joseph Filoromo | Supervisor, Amusement Ride Safety Division
Bureau of Ride and Measurement Standards
PA Department of Agriculture
2301 N. Cameron St. | Harrisburg, PA 17110
Phone: 717.787.9089 | Fax: 717.783.4158

03-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Can you give me a idea of the cost of this license?

I'm actually looking at a differnt path to get into haunting by placing other enterainment into a old retail space to give me my Yearly income then a Haunt running the 2 months in OCT

So I will need those types of permits and Classes.

Also do you know do you have to use fire redarant Paints if the strucure has a fire suppression system already?

I'm not using any open Heat sources and all Elec. will be hard wired. only reason im asking is the Fire Proof Paint is $60 per gallon I can get 2 Panels from this and im looking at between 175 - 200 Panels (OUCH)

so if i can evoid that costs would be helpful!

Thanks for any info!

Uptown Haunts
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM
All I can say is "Do it right". Meet with your local officials. Layout your plan and find out what their rules are. My local officials require that I meet the International Building Code (2006 Edition). Pennsylvania has a regulation (7Pa Code Ch 139) which gives you the Commonwealth's requirements and where they apply. You may want to check a post I wrote on Haunted Attraction's Message Board very recently. It gives a glimpse of what it's like dealing with local officials who will make you jump through all kinds of hoops in the hope of defeating you and making you give up your idea.

Building a trailer haunt requires that you meet ASTM F24 standards. If you have other questions or concerns, contact Joseph Filoromo, Supervisor, Amusement Ride Safety Division, Bureau of Ride and Measurement Standards, Harrisburg, Pa. He can also provide information regarding certification in Pennsylvania. The Pa. web site gives you links for downloading forms, rules and other information necessary for haunters to operate safely and legally in The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Contact information is listed below.



E-Mail jfiloromo@state.pa.us
Telephone 717-215-4316 24 hours a day (Please leave a message if no answer)
Fax 717-754-0228
Direct link to the internet page: