View Full Version : CO2 jet / Propane Cannon

Twin Locusts
06-03-2009, 08:57 AM
We've all seen, either live or on the screen, CO2 jets or propane flash cannons. The NBA, stadium concerts, etc. The CO2 jets are basically pressure air rigs that work well with color spots, similar to fog with lights but in bursts then gone.

Has anyone besides Haunted Hoochie ever used them outside your haunt venue? I'm doing the research and am just fishing for anyone that has practical experience.

A nice CO2 jet, backlit at the base can give a great effect and is much safe. I know fire and haunts don't mix, but has anyone ever done anything OUTDOORS like the bar facade in 'Dusk til Dawn'. In mixed company I won't name the bar, but it's the one Cheech Marin stood in front of barking for truckers.

My brother in law's an engineer in Vegas and asked if I'd considered an outdoor effect for drive-by wow. These props run on dmx at a chosen interval and use a miniscule amount of pressurized propane or CO2 to get a 6' to 12' plume every XX seconds.

I know the short answer is no fire / no where, however, I want to see if anyone's ever used this rig and did it give the people some bang for your trouble.

Thanks for your input.

creep house
06-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes , i`ve used both....i have an ice jet- co2...use it in my haunt

and i use a propane flame thrower outside on top of my building

shoots flames 25-30 feet into the sky.........awesome!!!

The crowds love it !!!....the flame is controlled by me via

remote control.....about every 10-15 minutes.....

Texas has strict guide lines on this kind of stuff......

varies from state to state.......i had to hire an off duty

fire fighter to be on site at all times when open.......

Send me an e-mail with your phone # and i would be glad to

talk more about it.

Casey.............creep house

Twin Locusts
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks! When I finish my research I'll make contact, then I'll more likely know what I don't know.

07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Creep House, I sent you a PM.

08-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Contacting a real pyro company would be a better idea more than likely. It varies by locality, not by state. More than likely you're are going to need to attain a permit for the use of any pyrotechnic or flame effect. To do this you'll need proof of insurance for the effect you are doing, and that's the tricky part. LeMaitrie, UltraTech, Sigma Services, and Color Fire Fly, all sell simple flame systems at reasonable prices. Sigma Services, LeMatrie, and UltraTech also all sell CO2 shooters at reasonable prices. CO2 is a non regulated effect and you can go batty with them, but really talk to someone who really knows what they are talking about before you go investing in something only to discover you can't do it.

08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Do you have any websites addresses for these companies?

creep house
08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
These Co. that are mentiond above are the ones that told me it varies from state to state !!!



you do have to have a Lic. in TEXAS !!!

08-11-2009, 04:00 PM

They produce the prismII flame system, a little better version than what sigma services sells


They produce the sunshine, hurricane, and several other impressive colored flame units.


They have a whole line of different and good stuff.

While licenses whether needed or not are governed at the state level it will be the local authority having jurisdiction issuing the permit you will need in order to do flame effects. So your local fire department will be the one with the final say. Contacting a local pyro company is the way to go, they will not only have the licenses and experience you need, but also will know the local fire departments and how to deal with them. If you hit me up and let me know where you are I can put you in touch with the local we use for that area and they can take you from there.

Trust me I have a little bit of experience in this area.