Reality Show ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Show ...

OKay listen I've been offered and I'm being straight up here 10 to 15 reality shows... all I had to do was sign a piece of paper and we would have been on Discovery Channel. I had a lot of turmoil going on at that exact moment so we turned it down. They wanted us to be like America Chopper making projects, fighting, struggling to install stuff but in the end it all works out great. We did actually have a pilot shot sort of and I have to be honest I was offered a TON OF MONEY! Again to much turmoil was going on at the time... my other reservation is that I don't think it really helps your business and probably takes a lot out of you to be on the show and might slow down our business to a crawl. I'm actually enjoying being lazy these days... LOL. Well lazy compared to how hard I use to work like I mean 24 hours a day.

Anyway we have a couple companies really wanting us to do it... would you guys want to see us building attractions and installing around the World on TV? What do you think? I'm over 50% no... not worth the trouble.

Give me some advice.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Hi Larry, I'm new to this site and I can see how involved it is in all aspects of haunting. It is not dedicated to one form, but many avenues of the entire haunt world. It is an honor to be offered such an opportunity, especially when they want to pay you also. As you said it would be quite time consuming though. If your heart isn't into it fully, then the results will not be what you want. As far as helping your business, it will definitely increase visibility, but will it increase positive income to off set the investment of time and hard work. It seems to me with your statements that you are comfortable with your present situation, so let it be.

Reality shows to me are not reality, but entertainment of a possible reality situation. Survivor, the contestants are being filmed, how are they surviving. Drop them off on one side of an island and see how many show up on the other side. 10 go in none come out, that's reality. Now a good show would be about the rescue team going in and finding the non-survivors.

These shows want you to create drama, veering you off of what really happens. Conflicts with one another, stabbing in the back, disgruntlement, etc.
    Building an attraction would be cool to see, but what is the viewer longevity of repeated projects?

1) Instead of tackling this project, sub it out. It appears you have the whole professional haunt industry available to you.

2) If you are planning on retiring or just not doing anything (lazy), and could use a retirement bonus, then do it, but ask for a ton and a half more money.

3) Forget about it. Relax.

It is inevitable that we are going to see a ton more reality shows on how to build this or that, soon just about every field will be covered, bikes, roller coasters, yachts, diving, building condominiums, life in the old folks home, making nature cookies, making a wedding dress, and so on. Personally, I'm
    looking forward to life with a homeless guy. All of the how to shows are set up for entertainment, the real shows are "How it's Made", "How Did They Do That","Nova"

Well, good luck with your decision, it will be the right one.

Moss4U

Comment

If you want to "Roll The Dice?"

Put your trust in a stranger to edit the film to make you NOT look like a boarderline psycho or the world's biggest fool (azz-whole?), but of course they need confrontatial situations and emotional outbursts to sell their visual tabloid.
      Pointing that magical camera might make one feel like a movie star.. until the finished product is shown... over and over again .. for YEARS!
      It is a voracious media too hungry for scraps of mis-information to mull over .
      We are waiting to see what they did to us a few months ago for a new show called something like "Creepiest Homes in America".
      This was a "First" for us because we actually got some money up-front for doing this.
      As they were interveiwing my Wife, Jessica that asked her to tell them "What Jim is Really Like?'
      She said:"He's a really nice guy and he doesn't drink or do drugs to do his artwork like so many people want to think he does."
      Then with more fake enthusiasm the voice behind the camera says :"NOW TELL US WHAT JIM IS REALLY LIKE!!!
      "I just answered that question." She said.
      Does this "tell" you anything about what they are really trying to get on film?
      Everyone is at the Mercy" of the film editor.. does anyone like THAT "FEELING"
      A good reputation usually arrives from usually years of good, honest efforts, a few seconds may ruin any reputaion with a very few certain words... especially when shown over and over again.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Reality show?

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
        OKay listen I've been offered and I'm being straight up here 10 to 15 reality shows... all I had to do was sign a piece of paper and we would have been on Discovery Channel. I had a lot of turmoil going on at that exact moment so we turned it down. They wanted us to be like America Chopper making projects, fighting, struggling to install stuff but in the end it all works out great. We did actually have a pilot shot sort of and I have to be honest I was offered a TON OF MONEY! Again to much turmoil was going on at the time... my other reservation is that I don't think it really helps your business and probably takes a lot out of you to be on the show and might slow down our business to a crawl. I'm actually enjoying being lazy these days... LOL. Well lazy compared to how hard I use to work like I mean 24 hours a day.

Anyway we have a couple companies really wanting us to do it... would you guys want to see us building attractions and installing around the World on TV? What do you think? I'm over 50% no... not worth the trouble.

Give me some advice.

Larry
        Larry, we all saw you on the shipping wars episode.. You know we all love ya (not sure) but damn dude stay off TV. I can see you being someone they ask advice abouthaunts and stuff........... but dude really?

Comment

Hmmm

It's a tough call...

I think the more exposure our industry gets the better and a reality show is great exposure. That's how it will attract new people to get involved. That's how it will grow. However, I personally would not do a reality show. I feel that it would be disastrous to my life and company operations.

Doug.
          www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
          [Google+] [YouTube]
          [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

Larry, run away from this "reality" tv thing as fast as you can. They will edit you and the members of your company into the standard "stock" characters they need to create the tension that will be the story of the show. You will be stuck with this characterization whenever you meet new clients or others for years to come. This will be a hurdle that will be hard to overcome and may totally ruin your business.

Comment

Ive turned it down many times.... but Larry Boo Boo might be fun to watch

Comment

A dolla make Larry holla!

DA

Comment

I was really really close to agreeing to do one a couple years ago and was offered a TON OF MONEY... every time I said no they offered more money. The show wouldn't be about running our haunted houses, it would be about us building attractions and installing them, building unique props and animations, etc. Anyway I was even called from the company who makes American Idol and they told me they would make me RICH... I passed. I think a reality show can do more harm than good, but who knows.

I have this group really after us and dying to do it... I'm trying to talk myself into it but I can't seem to. I was hoping someone would encourage me... seems like the opposite is happening. LOL

Larry

PS: If you talked to ANYONE who worked with me especially the first half of my companies life I was the hardest working person I knew... I worked like 20 hours a day. The next 1/4 I still worked a lot but slowed down some but still worked nearly around the clock. Over the past five or so years, I've slowed down a lot and I mean a lot and I've mellowed out a lot as well. I'm pretty lazy now, but my brain works better, faster, stronger and more creative than ever... so now I'm more of a thinker problem solver guy now not a doer. I've never been more creative than I am right now and never in my life have I been as smart about so many things as I am right now I still like doing new things, learning about almost anything. But physical work not so much for me... I'm getting old.
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Well, you're always saying you do it all for the haunt industry... So let TV make you rich, then spend a little bit of your new fortune making new products, promotional and educational tools for the industry. A win-win situation!

Jim has a good point though... Work with someone you trust. Video editing can really twist the facts around.
                    Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

The dirty little secret about "reality" shows is that they are scripted with a story arc and edits will be done to find the words and actions to fit the script. To the television industry types that put together these shows, the haunt industry is weird. They will play up the weird angle to the detriment of all else to make their point. Remember, they are telling their story, not yours. Also, they will lie to your face and bullshit you to get what they want.

Comment

Well, They should

"Get what THEY WANT! Since they are paying for it!
                        "Yesum massa, I iz hustling , yoo make me what you think you need to make a good show fo u."
                        I suggest you might stop the show when they begin using that old news reporter's question:"Have you stopped beating your Wife yet?"
                        You say "Yes" (means you were beating her.) "No" says you are still beating her. They win you don't.
                        One production company paid me "0" and still got what they wanted as they ignored the part of the contract that said they were going to mention our business , our website, phone number. They never even said :"Ravens Grin Inn!"
                        They just said:"We "found" this strange house owned by a guy named "Jim" in Illinois." Illinois is as big as France, does this help us any? How many "Jim's" live in Illinois? They "Found" my house after it has been on numerous Tv shows and newspapers, books, on-line sites. It wasn't "Lost!"
                        The guy who puts the carrot on the string, and hangs it on a stick in front of the donkey's nose.. has many distinct advantages over the Donkey..unless you need to kid yourself to feel un-used, or incharge of yourself.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Not so fast na sayers... Has any watched Tree House Masters or Tanked, Counts Customs, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, ect. do you think doing a show has hurt them, if anything it was a boom for them. In the end it will show people just how much goes into your work and gives them in sight as to why it cost what it cost. I think you handled yourself well on shipping wars and it was the guy who was bring it to you that looked bad but he always does. (can't stand Roy) I think the show would be a hit and would get people out to see a haunt at Halloween, there's tons of Halloween fans that would tune in.
                          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

check with someone who has done one

Didn't Ed at Distortions ramp up his business pretty big with the series he is doing? Check with him and maybe another similar one for feedback as to the ups and downs of the idea. See if you can have some control over the process and storyline. Duck Dynesty is hot right now, but Larry I don't know if you would look with a big long gray beard....... LOL
                            Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                            Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Famous!.. but "Famous enough?

Famous and profitable enough to afford the security , body guards to keep the nutcases away?
                              Fame but not enough money to protect and keep you alive?
                              Not a bargain.
                              Truly the devil's deal.
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X