Radio Station Advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Station Advertising

Well I am brand new to this forum and hope to be hear for the long haul.... I am starting a new haunted attraction in Salt Lake City, Utah and need a lot of help. I am just posing a question for those that have lots of experience... How much of your advertising budget is used in radio? and how many stations do you use? and how much does your market charge for a good amount of visits to your attraction and spots on the radio?

The reason I am asking is that for this market it seems very expensive and I would like to know if I am putting alot of money and faith into a medium that may not be the most effective.

Thank you

Ryan
    "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
    - Clarence Birdseye

I can custom make a radio spot for you for UNDER $50... This will allow you to spend more on other areas of your marketing/haunt. -Tyler

PS: For references, as Gwen (EmpressNightshade) or NightmareManor
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Hey Ryan, take a good look at your local station's Arbitron books. They come out every quarter and any sales rep would love to show them to you. It will show you how they rank in many different age groups. The station here in Omaha that I spend most of my money with is number one with 18-34 year olds, and ranks very high in the 12+ catagory. Depending on how many nights you are open would probably determine how often you want a "remote" or "live broadcast." Have your sales rep come up with a package deal showing how many spots you want every week, ticket give-aways, and live broadcasts. Be very specific about when you want your spots to run. I would focus on the p.m. drive and morning shows. Never not take the first offer! They will do a lot to keep a good client. I spend between 15 and 20 percent of my gross on advertising and about 3/4 of that is radio. We tried two different stations this year and did not see a big jump by adding the second one. Good luck!!!!! :twisted:
      Scott Murphy- Owner/Operator www.theshadowsedge.com KICKING & SCREAMING!!!

Comment

Thanks!

Nightgore I need your contact info because I am very interested in looking at your services.

As for the question, I have gotten quotes from all the major stations that have my target market and I am getting quotes for 15,000 to 20,000 bucks per station and they say that it is a medium package! I am just trying to figure which is the best way to get the biggest bang for the buck. Would you recommend billboards too? Thats another 15,000. Our budget for the first year is not as large as I would like it, Are these prices competitive in other market places?

Ryan
        "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
        - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

I just sent you a PM, feel free to call me. -Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Gotta get a website and listed in haunted house listings, these will be the least expensive, yet the best ads you will ever find.
            Unless there is a station in your listening area that has everyone tuned into them, it is all a gamble, will they be listening or not?
            A website is there waiting whenever they clickon , waiting to tell them everything they need to know about your place, trying to cover all that info in a radio ad is a bit trickier.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Aspenld!!
              "Ya gotta get The Book"
              ( So You Want To Be A Haunt Entrepreneur ) !
              By Kelly Allen. Its a must have.
              www.eurekascreams.com
              Ghoul Town

Comment

Before getting a commercial made check with the radio stations you are interested in, many of them include the production of the commercial automatically in the cost of the radio buy.
                The Future is looking Scare E

Comment

rfr
                  when god created light the first shadow was born

Comment

Getting Closer

Well thank you all for the information that you have given me. I have probably given everyone the idea that I am not as far along as I am.... I have the book from Kelly Allen, I have read it three times..... Also, my website is under construction and will be on every search engine that I can get on. I am at the business plan stage and finalizing our 1st year financial data and have just found it daunting to be spending $60,000 for radio and billboard signage and trying to figure out if there are other mediums that could possibly be more effective. I am just a sponge trying to soak up all of your expertise that took many of you years to gather, but I am trying to get it all now. I will be trying several ticket giveaway promotions here and also sending out online discount tickets to emails through large companies that are here. I am daunted because of some of the size of my competition that is here in Salt Lake City. It's kind of like building a grocery store with a small budget to try to compete with Walmart and Albertsons or Kroger or any other huge chain. Let me know what you have tried to do to advertise with small budgets.

Ryan
                    - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

In Green Bay I tell the radio station how much I want to spend and they come up with a plan within my budget. One station in particular even makes me a FREE 60 sec radio spot if I spend more then $1,500 with them which I obvisouly do, so it works out great. Best thing to do is to contact the sales department and set up a meeting to talk with the sales people. They will work with you.

Sean
                      Sean De Wane
                      ----------------------------------------------
                      The De Wane Asylum
                      www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Radio in our area didn't really do much,we spent a fortune and got little back.

Even if you can talk a major soft drink to put your haunt on their can it still didn't bring in what we thought it would. We had our haunt on a quarter million Pepsi cans and we only got 2 dozen back, we were blown away at how this didn't work we expected to be packed every night from this but weren"t.

Ridiculous as it sounds in our area the best advertisment we had was the night at the races. Our local Racetrack had a huge night in late september called midsummers night scream, complete with Monster trucks, hearse races, roll over contest and a lot of other weird racing going on. They as a sponsor would let our entire crew(in character) join the crowd in the stands as well as hand out vouchers. We made a special voucher just for the track and we got more than 50% back,just for putting up their signage in our midway. They also let us put a banner up on the race track wall for cars to slam into.(accidently!)

Hope this helps,Babyman

Comment

It's amazing how each area has it's own niche for advertising benefits.

Some areas Radio works, others Billboards, others TV or word of mouth.

I firmly believe a benefit (and I benefit from it every year) is to join your LOCAL CHAMBER of COMMERCE! :twisted: :shock:
                          Amazing the depth and networking that can be accomplished through them.

We utilize a hodge podge of it all and it is never consistent.

Our Spirit Store actually sends more patrons our way than advertising. Where do haunt lovers go? to the local Halloween Stores! So be friendly and even ask about $100 or $200 to put up advertising in their stores or work free tickets in... Spencers, etc. any store that sell Halloween.

Also another big advertising deal we have found to be beneficial - MOVIE THEATERS! WOW
                          Even flyers on the wall or doors, or within one of their Movie Slots! Do a ticket trade... The cost for the On Screen Ads can be steep depending on your area, but it is worth looking into!

Hope that helped!
                          :wink:

Comment

Working...
                          X