How do you build wall panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you build wall panels?

Hey guys, I was jst starting work on this years haunted house. I've kind hit a wall(GET IT?) I could use some help.

Can anyone give me advice on the best way to build a wall panel?

I need a way to do them quick;y but cost is also on issue.

THhanks...

Thanks for the link!

Thats not what i ment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell House 666 LLC View Post
      Thanks for the link!

Thats not what i ment.
      JB Corn's book has a lot of excellent info on that and goes into the topic thoroughly. In fact, he tells you how to build an entire haunt from the ground up . . . literally. (His was built on a deck so it could be built over any terrain . . . an ATH: All Terrain Haunt!) I can send you the link to a PDF version if you like. His books are now free and in the public domain.

C.

Comment

Can you rephrase your question? You asked how to make a wall panel. I sent you link to pdf on how to make one and how to make a jig to make one. What am I missing. It is a simple frame with one or two pieces of plywood on it. You really should be able to figure this out, but here are a few Wall panel truths to help you out.

1. Do not use staples to hold it together. Yes staples are fast, but long term they make repair difficult.

2. Do not use OSB, it is cheap but you will always have the particle board texture no matter what set it is in. It also makes for a heavy panel

3. Framing does not matter much, build what makes you happy. I like two vertical and three horizontal. I also only skin one side.

4. Build them for your show, I have to put up and tear down my show every year, so I favor lighter panels because of how often they get carried around

5. Make them strong, actors will climb on them- guests will run into them- you will want to use them for years. Do not skimp on materials or quality
        I dont think you need to know any more than that unless you have a specific question you are not asking.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Can you please elaborate on making them STRONG? Are you referring to thickness of the plywood here?

Comment

Try the search bar. I myself have asked this not too long ago and I've seen a few threads since. I'm sure a 10 minute search can have all your answers.

If you ask 10 folks, you'll probably get at least 3 different answers.

Some build 3 horizontal boards and some build with 3 vertical boards.

Some build out of 2x2's with 1/4" luan / underlayment boards (about $11.88 here in my area)

And some use 7/16" / (1/2") OSB board.

Some use 2x3's for the studs and some use 2x4 material.

It's all personal preference I think, *(of course situational as well, is it going to be a wall panel you expect to bounce patrons off of?)

CHEAP is going to be HEAVY! and hard to manhandle by yourself. However, it'll be strong.

EXPENSIVE or anything in the middle will be lighter but can be less strong. I've seen haunts use very lightweight mats like 2x2's and luan and not have problems.

I say build you a jig, make a few panels out of OSB and 2x3's and see if you can handle that. Once you decide that, if you CAN handle it, you may want to think about the lighter weight mats.

Dewayne

Comment

That's a great idea. I wouldn't have thought to use different materials based on if ppl will be hitting them.

Comment

Scottylmt- Building them strong can mean many things, but here are a few tips.
                Use more screws than you think you need, like 7 screws across the three short sides and 13 screws down the long sides. If it is in a high traffic area I often put plywood triangles on the non skinned side to strengthen the corners.
                Just make sure it feels sturdy, you can go with strong framing or stronger skin, that is up to you.
                Allen H

Comment

Wall panel use VS Construction

Building wall panels isn't rocket science. The more pressure a person might be likely to put on a panel, the stronger it should be. If you need a wall behind a scene that no one will come in contact with use 1/4 luan, unless you plan on hanging heavy props on it. If you have an area that people are going to be all up on the wall, I'd use 1/2 plywood.

Build smart and don't be lazy.. If you're hesitant about building your wall panels out of 1/2 plywood due to the wieght then you should plan to have help setting them up. Get your plan writen down and figure out how many of what kind of wall panels you need before you start building.

Thanks for the link...
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

rfsystems, we just finished / finalized that very thing ourselves.

In fact, it's coming down to the wire! This is our first year so we had to start from scratch. ZERO wall panels and such. I just got done redesigning my building #2 (part 2 of the haunt, building 3 is maze only) and when I was done, I figured up that I was saving us over $400 in mats and lots of hardwork! I only cutout 2 hallways, that was it believe it or not. Since we're in small (1,000 sq ft) buildings anyways, I figured why waste space on hallways? I still have 1 hallway, but it crucial to our layout / story / setup.

So, also, never hesitate to redo the layout, or to rethink things. I saved a lot of money by doing it this new way and actually, it's going to be easier and I think I'm liking it BETTER than the original.

Allen is right, btw. You'd be totally surprised on how much more sturdy that thing will be with 4 pies on the corners. I've seen 2x2 panels with luan, 3 vert's and I bounced off of it and it was like a BRICK!. Didn't move. I looked at the backsides and it WAS an H, but when I tried to move it, jees.. nah. wasn 't movin! Had one laying on the floor and it felt very solid! much more than I'd figured. So yeah, you have to build smart. When in doubt, SCREW IT SOME MORE! Add pies / triangles, just get to where YOU feel good about it and you're good to go.

Ohh, I also had an impact wall by itself with very little support. This was one of the big fixes I made. Be sure to try and think of everything. Ceiling height, (may have to build wall panels shorter for some reason), impact, lighting, and the "what if's" Just because it's RARE, doesn't mean it WON'T happen.

Looks like you're getting all kinds of help. Post some pics if you can, when you start construction. We likes pics :P

Dewayne

Comment

Wow all great advice on how to make walls stronger. In the JB Corn book, I saw he used triangles on every panel that was single sided, so that thought is now implanted! Using more screws i didnt think of (dont know why) Thanks to all of you! Now back to Dewayne's progress thread sorry to jack...

Btw man im loving the look of the carports. Having a continuous haunt that goes inside to outside to inside etc will add a unique dynamic to your haunt! Also can't wait to see why a hallway is crucial to your story line, that sounds cool.

Comment

You can't build wa;l;s out of triangles guys. They wouldnt fit together.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell House 666 LLC View Post
                          You can't build wa;l;s out of triangles guys. They wouldnt fit together.
                          What specific triangles are you referring to?

C.
                          Last edited by BrotherMysterio; 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Hell house, wha are you talking about? this is the third odd/stupid/wrong thing you have said in as many posts.

Comment

Working...
                            X