Character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, so sorry if it’s a silly questions.

I’m starting scare acting this Thursday. In previous years, I have always played one character, and it worked really well for me, but it was not a speaking role.
    I am now being asked to alternate between my current character, and a new one that has speaking parts.

I’m hoping to get some information on what type of things I could say/do.

Information on the role:

The haunt I am at has a coffin ride. I will be running said ride. It is set in a funeral parlor, and I am playing the role of the dead funeral director. Basically I have to greet people, take their money, load people into the ride, and operate the ride. I have to do all this, while keeping in character as a funeral director (i have to have dialogue with friends/family while the person is in the ride). Other than things such as “sorry for your loss”, what are some things I could say/do to be authentic sounding, and creepy? Suggestions?

Hello

May I ask what era you character will be from? This will help a lot with the dialog and costume. Also how old are you?
    Last edited by JavaMan; 09-24-2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I believe the character is supposed to be from the late 1800s.

And I'm 21.

DSCF7108web.jpg

This is me, just in case it helps with ideas. I am small, and look like a 14 year-old (I normally play a dead child).

Comment

You should weather an old leather bible, add some dust so when you close it the dust dispersed. Read up on some bible verses that are used during funerals and feel free to change the words up a bit if needed. I don't know about you but some of these versus are kinda creepy anyways, exaggerate you voice and use your eyes to stare down the customers. You can add a cough into a handkerchief for show.

Psalm 10:17
        LORD, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them. (NLT)

Psalm 18:28
        You light a lamp for me. The LORD, my God, lights up my darkness. (NLT)

Psalm 23:4
        Even when I walk through the darkest vallePsalm 34:18
        The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed. (NLT)

Psalm 46:1
        God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. (NLT)

Psalm 48:14
        For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end. (NLT)

Psalm 61:2
        From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety ... (NLT)

Psalm 94:19
        When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer. (NLT)

Psalm 119:50
        Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles. (NLy, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. (NLT)

Comment

Have a bad case of tuberculosis, cough a little blood in the handkerchief. Bring up that you have it and get a little close to the customer.

Look for an old medicine bottle and fill it up with water, take swigs every once in a while....
          Last edited by JavaMan; 09-24-2013, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Just remember that funeral directors are understated and very proper in their mannerisms. They give me the creeps just going to a real funeral. Creepy, understated, and a little mysterious is the way I would play it. As far as a costume you have to go with the old reliable black dress. Maybe you could go visit a funeral home and talk to the director and see the way they conduct themselves, they are always there to welcome to the funeral but in a very understated way that is creepy. Here is a video that give a little back ground into what funeral directors do.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...D8D63A932F9517
            Phatman

Comment

These are all awesome suggestions! Thank you! Gonna go out a buy a bible haha.

I'm really worried about using my voice...I just have a really young sounding voice, that is not in the least bit intimidating.

Dilemma, I keep trying to do my make-up and hair, but keep ending up looking look a ghost librarian...help please! I have black glasses that I will be wearing instead, but I don't think that will help much. Or I could do contacts?

IMG_1044_zps0cddbbea.jpg

IMG_1042_zps06e67f29.jpg

How's this for dress? I will also be wearing black tights.
              I'm going to the thrift store today, so I could go a different direction!

And thanks for the videos!
              Last edited by stacip; 09-24-2013, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Southern Drawl will fix sounding young sound easily. Think Paula Dean, "eat my grits ".. LOL

Wynonna Ryder "Lydia" from beetlejuice did a good voice acting job as well, maybe go that route....

Comment

soft spoken and talk in you lower register will help. You have the hard part taken care of, you care about your character that will take you a long way. Good Luck.
                  Phatman

Comment

You may want to study some video of the late Paul Bearer from the WWE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH7Xts_fctg
                    http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                    http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                      You may want to study some video of the late Paul Bearer from the WWE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH7Xts_fctg
                      Was thinking the same thing !! :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X