Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a right to be pissed?

Hey guys,

So my home haunt implemented a new acting system and it has really ruffled my feathers and Im curious about your thoughts and opinions on it.

All actors, no matter what, start out with a green card. This green card means that all they can do is make noises and sounds. No speech at all.

If you are lucky, you move up to a blue card. Blue cards allow you to say preapproved sayings and phrases for your room/section.

Lastly, there are pink cards. Pink cards give you free reign to say whatever you want.

If you do not follow the system, you are removed from the haunt and not allowed to act.

What do you guys think?

Im a bit aggravated about it to be honest. My character is rather verbal and has lots of fun stuff to say. Ive been doing this for many years, so it almost feels like a punishment of some sort. Maybe Im just over reacting? Im not sure. I have a feeling I am this grumpy because it was also implemented after the season started. After the dialogue development, after the costume and character creation, and after the acting training.
    "If I ever hear , "Boo", "Hiss", or "Roar", I will personally kick you in the pants."

This tactic is mentioned in one of Allen's acting DvD's.

Typically it would be used for NEW actors who have yet to prove themselves.

I would say since your a veteran, talk to the person in charge and explain that you think should should skip the 2 cards. Then again, if the system was implemented mid season, the person in charge prob wasn't liking what they were seeing.

Comment

Yeah. I must assume that's what happened but a lot of haunt politics are also going on so I'm not sure what to think. Actors that have been there for 8+ years are being giben green cards. I guess that's another factor that riles me.
      "If I ever hear , "Boo", "Hiss", or "Roar", I will personally kick you in the pants."

Comment

Sarge,
        Being there 8 years doesn't make anyone a good actor.
        The nice thing about the card system is there is no confusion about where you stand, and then it helps you aim for a higher goal. I know alot of actors who think they are awesome and suck. I think this is an opportunity to grow. It is not about insulting anyone. It is about making sure the actors are doing what they are supposed to do and not making the haunt look bad.
        Kevin R. Alvey
        info at gore-galore.com
        www.gore-galore.com
        www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
        www.youtube.com/goregalore13
        www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Maybe the haunt owner didn't envision all their actors talking or possibly they were looking at more of just a shock factor in certain areas.
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Ive been an doing a character for 9 years...and as these people will tell you...I am a horrible actor!

Use the anger that you have drive you to get that pink card
            Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

I've seen actors at haunts for 17 years be terrible at acting. As someone else mentioned, time means nothing. Ad-libbing to ENTERTAIN is a skill that you either have or you don't. Smelling the patrons, adapting to the situations, responding to their smart-ass comments professionally and in a manor that makes them laugh or scream in terror all takes experience and the know-how to adjust fire ASAP. I think the card idea is a great one, and it should be implemented in MORE haunts not less. Want an audit? Ask the card issuer to follow you around for an hour and see how you do. Then get upgraded.

I think it's a fair system that allows to owner to not have their attraction be made a fool of by foolish unprofessional actors, no matter the length they've been employed there...

Comment

Fantastic advice all around.

Whats the big deal anyway? If you have what they want they will recognize you- I assure you of that.

Perhaps you don't? And if you don't, then that means your ego is all big and floppy, covering your own eyes.

Haunting is a team thing- if you're not as much on their team as you expect them to be on yours, then you are on your way out.

Support your owner and he'll back you up.
                How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Oh I have seen a lot of actors who have been doing it as long as I have been alive and they cant act to save their life, Im well aware that the skills of improv and ad-libbing are very unique and a gift.

I wont raise too much fuss about it, Im only going out there to act for a night to see my friends, the new sets, and catch up with my old haunt family.

The big deal, at least to me, is that everyone , even the line greeters and roamers, who worked their way to that position through being recognized for their improvisation skills are being sent to square one and have to do it all over again. Also that their jobs there are on the line if they break the noise only rule.

I miss that haunt a lot, but Im glad I am at a different place now where I dont have to worry about that stuff anymore. They know what I can do! :P

Happy Haunting everyone!

Comment

Every year we carry over some actors from previous where we know their strengths and we always hire new recruits. We explain to them their role and ask them if they prefer speaking part or more of an acting part and place them accordingly. We have a dry run the night before we open and on the first night one of us sneaks in with a group without actors knowing we are coming through to make sure the acting is on par and I have to admit we have been very thankful that our actors give us 110% and we get huge compliments from our patrons regarding the acting.

Comment

sounds a bit backwards!

If you got a green card u r allowed to stay in Texas. U have a blue card well you may go to jail! And well a pink card?! Wtf! I've seen alot of poor women actresses! Just my two cents! Bah!
                      Damon
                      Www.frightmasters.weebly.com
                      Damon Carson

Comment

Hmmmmm

I like it ! I like it! That or I just put a shock collar on a couple who once a year seem to say something totally inapropriate.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

The first 10 years of my career as a haunt actor ( I can say career- haunts are all I do 10 years year round) I did not speak. Learning movement and timing, the subtle differences in posture, Stance, and distance and seeing the effect on the customer.
                          Take it as an opportunity to hone skills as opposed to it being a system to beat. It sounds like it was based on a tactic that I use, and it fixes a lot of problems.
                          Allen H
                          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

You are talented !!!!!!

Go somewhere else where your talents will be appreciated and respected.

Comment

Lol! I love the "empowered" folks where the grass is always greener, you can't be replaced, blah blah blah. As Allen said, embrace this.

Sorry, but most people can be replaced very easily in this world of talents. The key is to be a talent that is flexible.....

Comment

Working...
                              X