Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sci-Fi / Computer Room Scenic Ideas

Hi All:

We have two rooms this year that are inspired by Portal / HAL in 2001, where you enter a mainframe run by a psychotic computer. We have a big screen with the A.I. doing its thing, and we're looking at a couple of "defensive turrets" that blast air.

The big problem is the walls - sci-fi vacuform panels are virtually non-existent and, frankly, obnoxiously priced. I'm not about to plunk down $6K for 40 vacuform panels. The two rooms are connected by a short hallway, so some kind of distinct theme for each is always good. If anything, I'm looking for ideas that non-professionals can use to make 30-40 panels - and I want to avoid tinfoil, vacuum hoses and other cheap stuff that I've seen in other places.

We're still considering the scare in room two so, if you know of any decent sci-fi related scares, your expertise is always appreciated.

My thanks for your help.

Mephisto the Great
    SHADOWS HAUNTED ATTRACTION
    http://www.ShadowsHaunt.com

You could us pink foam and PVC pipe to try and recreate vacuform panels.
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Here is a great base for your panels. I would go to an electronics recycling place and ask to have circuit boards and old computer cases, cut those up and they would be great just attached randomly to the panels.
      The plastic pallets like this
      image017.jpg
      You can often get for free (sometimes even legally)
      look really cool if you paint them metallic with some lights behind them, dont focus on one thing work on the big picture.
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

You can also do thick plexy panels lit from behind with large decals in front (or paint schemes stencil painted in) that can have a really cool look.

You can also change up the lighting behind the panels, creating different effects, us a light organ to follow the music of the room, or even have the light cycle thru the color spectrum, all quite cost effectively.

C.

Comment

good idea BM, but translucent corflute (coroplast) is $12 a sheet, and plexi is about $60
          Translucent_Coroplast_Sheet_Board.jpg
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
            good idea BM, but translucent corflute (coroplast) is $12 a sheet, and plexi is about $60
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]13285[/ATTACH]
            Well, you know, something like that - :wink: - tho actually the coroplast gives you the additional textured light effect as well, and it's translucent and distorting quality gives us another advantage. We have panels of it with designs stenciled onto it and blinking lights and whatnot behind it, and then as the patrons walk along, the fifth or so panel along doesn't just have a lights and whatnot behind it . . . it has a wider expanse of clear space in the design, just enough for a monster's face to appear behind it for a sudden scare!

Something like this:

why-so-serious-the-dark-knight.jpg

C.

Comment

Working...
            X