Transworld 2011 The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transworld 2011 The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Well, the show is winding down and tomorrow will be the end of our 2011 Halloween Show

I wanted to share some of the highs and lows of the show.....

On the Positive side we had tons of great costumes. Kyle,from Midnight Studios, went all out with some wild full body Lycan costumes, as well as many other cool costumes and animations. *The Boom Stick is everywhere! Some very cheap prices were out there, if you shopped around.
    I felt the regular vendors outdid themselves with great new products and were able to keep the prices down (anyone who knows me, knows that I'm very cheap when it comes to spending. I usually do a lot of trading but I was pleased with the prices). For those who were at the show, I think three words come to mind Latex Body Paint.*
    Now,unfortunately, for the BAD. *Shame on the company who totally ripped off Kevin, from Gore Galore's, product line. From his Stalker Costumes to *vertabra backed shirts, to just about everything else he carries, these guys should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves and their thinly disguised ripoffs! *I hope the industry sticks together and boycotts this company. Kevin had some of the *best looking costumes,as well as the only actor/animation at the show. He deserves credit for originality.
    And, finally, the Ugly. This year, we stayed at the Mayfair Hotel and had the pleasure of housekeeping stealing my leather custom embroidered $300.00 jacket made by Sunshine Tees. This jacket was a birthday present and very special to me, it bears our unique artwork. We were sure it was stolen the day it went missing. We bitched up a storm until it finally showed up the next day, the housekeeping staff had found it. *The one big problem is we NEVER used housekeeping. We maintained our own room. They came in after I told them IN PERSON that we were all set and signed off that we didn't need them. It was only after we kicked up a fuss that it was "found". Not a pleasant experience, but happy that the jacket is back where it belongs.

I hope everyone has a great show as well as a safe trip home.

Dan Augusto
    Owner Tombstone Productions

Your Missing Jacket..

Did you happen to mention to the Hotel that you really needed it back ASAP because your small,pretty pet Coral snake in the special pocket needed feeding?
    They are so pretty... as they administer almost instant DEATH!
    hahahaah!
    You had a happy ending anyway with it.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

What company was this... and let me say that they are NOT the only company ripping off others. I saw a couple companies that did a lot of copy cat props and animations.

This happens like every year. This is nothing new. Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Midnight Studios stoled the show!

Kyle's stuff always looks amazing, but he really outdid himself this year! His Lycans, Vampires and Demons all looked amazing. I literally went back to
        his booth at least 25 times today to keep looking at everything. Each time I would notice another cool prop or costume that I had missed. By far, the
        best looking stuff at the show!
        Dewayne Anglin

Director of Operations
        Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC/ Folklore Haunted House
        www.folklorehauntedhouse.com

sigpic

Comment

Ripoff Company

Larry,

The company is Dreamscape, if you get a chance today walk around they are very close to your booths. I was confused at first because the costumes looked like a much flimsier version of Kevins normal stalker costumes. I thought Gore Galore was making a cheaper quality line of products that were cheaper to buy. When I was placing an order with Gore Galore I spoke to Kevin and asked if he was offering cheaper line of products. This was Not the case, I won't repeat our conversation unless Kevin is ok with it but I'm sure he would be happy to fill everyone in..

Dan Augusto
          Owner Tombstone Productions

Comment

"Blowing Smoke" Or Fact?

I was on the phone many years ago talking to a guy in the patending business. He got very excited when I mentioned a Halloween costume design I had just won 1st place with ($300.) He began jabbering about either copyrighting or patenting it's design.....
            Maybe he was just blowing smoke?
            Is this sort of thing a viable option?
            OR would the patent guy and all the lawyers just end up with all the money..again!
            ???
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Just want to point out that the boom stick, that you note as a positive, was also ripped off from Digital Sound and Lighting by other companies who are now outsourcing production of lesser-quality versions.

In regard to Dream Scape... I understand that the brothers who worked at Gore Galore are now working at Dream Scape (don't know, or want to know, the story there... though I'm certain there are two sides to whatever it is)... I will say that we have done business with Dream Scape in the past and though there have been run-of-the-mill problems here and there, they've been good to us. Solid quality product, beautiful custom finishes, etc. When there have been problems with orders they've stayed in communication with us and gone out of their way to make things right.

We've also done business with Gore Galore and think just as highly of their company and product.

I will say, for what it's worth.... as an art student, we were always taught that there is no such thing as a new idea... only innovations on what's existed before. I think it would be crazy to expect that only one company will ever produce and sell large costumes... I think the question would be, has the concept been changed enough or innovated upon to make it contrastingly different or better. I don't know the answer in this specific case, because we weren't looking to purchase large costumes and didn't look at them at either company.
              Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
              Haunt 2013, LLC
              and
              The House of Boo
              Dallas, TX
              www.haunt2013.com
              www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

Dalloween,
                I agree there are very few new things, but in this case all I see is someone churning out an inferior copy of a great product. There arent enough innovations to make them different or stand out, processes seem to be directly ripped off from gore galore and there isint anything that makes them an evolution or a stand apart product, more like a copy of a copy. Even stylistically they are a knock off, I will gladly pay for Gore Galores better quality product from a proven vendor who I have heard no horror stories about, I know several people who are waiting on product from dreamscape that was ordered at last years show.
                I make alot of things and I try very hard to make sure that stylistically they are mine even if the concept came from some other source. I also try to upgrade or evolve the designs when possible.
                I understand your defense of them, but in this case I dont think there is a defensive leg to stand on. They really should have gone a different direction with their craft. They have talent no doubt, but Id love to see it excercised on their own ideas.
                Allen H
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

And we need to remember that the "artist" hands that make a product/mold will always be their style. You can't just change your style as a person if you move on to another company for whatever reason.

I to stayed true to Gore Galore but don't fault them if they were the "idea" behind previously made products at GG.
                  Last edited by spookhaven; 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

was scarefactory there ?

was shane dabbs there?

Comment

scarefactory was there

Comment

The intention of my post wasn't to defend Dream Scapes (though after re-reading it, it sounds that way)... it was more a reaction to the original topic applauding the ripping off of the boom stick product in one paragraph and then disparaging the ripping off of the giant costume concept in the next paragraph. It would seem to me that this practice is either acceptable or it is unethical... not both. I probably shouldn't be posting when I'm so tired.
                        Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
                        Haunt 2013, LLC
                        and
                        The House of Boo
                        Dallas, TX
                        www.haunt2013.com
                        www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

I was wondering if Gore Galore had split because the items that Dream Scape had were all extremely similar to the products of Gore Galore. I remember when DS first popped up with their customizable life size props... But now it looks like they are focusing on producing things that have been around for years?

Either way, I hope everyone had a wonderful show and everyone bought/sold a ton!
                          Zach Wiechmann
                          www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

was 13th hour there presenting?

just wondering.........thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck weber View Post
                              was shane dabbs there?
                              yeah, he was. he had the insane shane kick off party! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X