It's November ONE......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's November ONE......

It's November 1 and I was thinking I might like to start my own event for 2007. I started out a yard haunter and have since gotten 9 years experience building, acting, and assisting in the running of a hunted house. I have done everything from calling advertisers, to training actors, to sweeping up at the end of the night.

What advice can you guys give me?

What are the biggest misconceptions I probably have about running a haunted house?

Is IAHA worth belonging to? What will they do for me? I know its not a lot of cash to belong but what do I get with that?

MUCH Thanks, in advance.
    http://www.innerfears.com/
    http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

My advice is ---- LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!
    start looking today. A good, inexpensive location is
    hard to find, start looking now.
    Gary
    Midnight Evil Productions
    www.MidnightEvil.com
    Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
    www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

one word, four sylables.

Ad-ver-tis-ing
      http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
      Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
      When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
      If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

Comment

Ditto

Comment

"The biggest misconception about running your own haunt?"
          I'm not sure, but it might be some people's thinking that since it is only a week or two sort of a business that you only need a few spare afterwork hours to make it all come together.......
          It could be a hobby that becomes a business but to really make it work it requires alot more effort than many realise.
          My advice to Halloween Lovers , if you love Halloween don't have a haunted house. You will never see Halloween again, it will come and go and you will be too busy trying to get your help to all show up and fix things and deal with the public, ex cetra.......
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Find a location before you do anything, then talk to your city building dept about what you would need to do for that specific location.
            The Future is looking Scare E

Comment

I agree it is location. Lots of farms could use a seasonal event, reclamation yards, garden centres etc.

There must be people with old buildings or sites who would love to rent to you?

I just picked up a winery client!! They have a beautiful 17th century Jacobean building with 80 acres of wine fields. Awesome! So next year it is a wine tasting night and haunted ball. This will be small-ish booking of no more than 250 people at £100 per head max.

Think who would want this.... the old abandoned hospital... a Castle?? :roll: and then approach the owner and strike up a deal for rental of a portion of the premises. I do a base 'flat rental price' plus a percentage of tickets sold.

Also think - who needs to raise money and can co-promote?? The winery is a good example because they want people to come 'taste their wines' because they sell them by the case for the Christmas season. They struggle to get people especially on Halloween when peoplebut I can offer to help fill it up for them and take 80% of the entry fee.

Comment

Working...
              X