what do you do in between scares??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you do in between scares??

besides getting water or waiting for the next group to come..

As for me... I look at all the props and some time i look up and see how the stars are so cool...I work outside at the haunt i work at..

what do you guys do??
    it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

LOL!!!!..."I look up and see how the stars are so cool" <<< that one is classic

um, I am the guy who can't just stay in his "assigned" area of the haunt. So I will stalk groups, go to different areas of the haunt and try to invent different ways to scare.
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

It depends really. alot of times I will just reset into my hiding spot and wait. I listen for actors in previous rooms so that I have an idea on where groups are at. If I have time, I will sneak a drink from a hidden bottle of water/juice. On really slow nights, if I have 2 or more in my room we will whisper things, or move around and change our methods of scaring.

Comment

what to do in between groups

Usually we are trying to not laugh our ass off about how we just scared the (*&^% out of the last group. Then again thats alot of why we do this. Its so damn entertaining!! I luv it!!

But I usually am the guy that is coaching the new actors in my area. And when not doing that I am getting called to other rooms to fix props, foggers, whatever.

Kelly
        www.hauntyourhouse.net
        Kelly Anderson
        Owner- Halloween Undercroft
        http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
        Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

Usually stay in character, and go from there. Dunno where it takes me.
          If it s a REALLY slow night i will climb to the top of the maze and squat there on the 2x4 that supports the walls so i can see over the whole maze. I can see people and attack from sky!

That or sing showtunes/ do short skits to entertain my fellow actors. Entertaining is my business.

Once i was going all out with the song "Keep It Gay!" from The Producers and a group walked in. I had them all laughing then i snarled dropped down and bolted at them suddenly.
          One of the best scares of the season for me.

Comment

I go on the hunt for the next scare. Pick a spot and watch the crowd to get a read on them. Seek out the weak one and it's on again. Go go go.
            Best of all I'm a roamer so it's never a dull moment. Heck, on a slow night I will follow people all the way through the attraction for my own amusement.
            StackerSteve
            LoT 27
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lot-27...060788?ref=sgm

Comment

&quot;I'm bored!&quot; I hate this!

Nobody should ever be "bored" working (playing) scaring people in a haunted house.
              When I designed most of the old JCs haunt some complained that they were "Bored" (must have drank all their beer ration?)
              So the next year I designed multiple scare stations secretly accessable for the haunters...."That's too much "Work!", "I get confused."
              Pretty pathetic huh?
              When the night is winding down I might go scare some of my employees, this is always fun!
              (And Very memorable!)
              One night I somehow pulled myself up into a small space among the rafters at the exit, and ever so slightly touched a few people on the top of their heads, so slightly that they weren't really sure if it had happened or not (keep'em guessing, it involves their minds alot more)
              Then my employee walked back under me and asked another employee if someone was touching people on the top of their heads? (Since this is a haunted,haunted house and more things usually always happen here in October)
              As he stood there asking this question I reached down with one hand and removed his bowler hat, taking it straight up into the ceiling!
              He hollered and knees collapsed, straight down he went!
              All the lights were on too!
              My Wife Jessica has also been known to put on a weird mask, costume and harrass our helpers through the side gate. She really got some of them "going" too! (Maybe she's releasing some frustration after dealing with customers all night long?)
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Rehydrate right off the bat, then dig in to my bag of Jolly Ranchers to get my voice back up to par. Reset quickly for the next scare. If i have a few min between groups talk with other actors about how to play out a scene or whats working best and whats not working.

Jackie
                Rotting Flesh Radio
                “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Besides from all of the above mentioned, I like to holler and just scream and make a lot of noises. You never know who is in line and keeping the house sound alive no matter how dead it is or not can add to the affect. We have actors screaming like they are getting scared to make it look like more are going through on the dead nights, gets everyone pumped inside and out.
                  ~WelchWitch

Comment

what do you do between scares??

Being that I'm the "host" character of The Baxter Avenue Morgue, I'm the first person that groups of patrons meet when they come in. From my dark corner just down the hall from the front door, I'll listen as the groups are being ushered into our funeral parlor, listening for any names of customers that seem to be overly scared. This NEVER fails to freak them out when you address them by name.

Like the rest of you, I'll pause for a sip of a beverage or pop a Vitamin C drop (these tend to work so much better than my previous fave, Halls Mentholyptus), straighten my tie, give a nod to the security guy in the front hall and then quietly make my way into the parlor, where I proceed to instill fear and dread in my own subtle fashion ..
                    "We all go a little mad sometimes..."

- Norman Bates

Comment

I'll just talk to my fellow sliders, fix up the gear a bit, stalk groups etc.

This year i scared the living shit out of an entire group. I was just watching a girl that was in the group, she saw me watching her, and she stood behind her boyfriend. I just started clicking my fingers together, and slowly walked towards the group, and then suddenly slid about 10 feet right to the girls feet and started hitting my hands randomly around her feet and i had her screaming for a good 45 seconds, i stood up and snarled in her ear and clicked my fingers in her ear, when her boyfriend (Mr. ToughGuy) Turns around and said "lay off man" and i replied back with "why, am i laying ON her too much? are you getting jealous?" and then just walked away.

one of my favorite scares yet.
                      Skidduhlicious

Comment

I just kinda keep on my toes for the next group and kinda pace. I get REALLY into character, so I keep in that "hunting" mindset be it inside the maze or outside working the line, especially after a really good scare. I rarely break character, even for water. We break often enough that I don't worry about water breaks really.
                        Last edited by ZodiacWarrior; 10-21-2009, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Txas, I love sliders! That has always been one of my favorites. To me, I get better scared by something higher or lower then from the "normal view". In my haunt, we have someone on stilts and is about 12 feet tall. He always freaks me out and I watch him since he is in the room before me as he comes out and gets them every time. He can jump over things so easily, its scary as hell. For you to slide towards them, it would be the same affect in my book. Its out of the "normal" vision. Good Job! I mean what can you say to that comment you made? Nothing, he would be speechless.
                          ~WelchWitch

Comment

I've been relegated to a single small room, with no light other than a blasting strobe light... So I close my eyes in between groups, in an attempt to not get nauseous.

Comment

what I do

It really depends on whether I'm outside or inside. If I'm inside then I'm constantly listening for specific audio cues throughout the house so I know where the next group is.

If I'm outside then I need to look for different ways to entertain the crowd whether it be hiding places or every once in awhile go interact with the line but each section for brief periods of time so that I can still be scary and not have them be too familiar with me enough so that I can scare them again when they leave.

Comment

Working...
                              X