I need some advice on how to make a prop...please help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice on how to make a prop...please help me out

I need to find a way to make an AX prop out of something other then foam as it will be banged against things and used very roughly. I was thinking a pick ax handle bought at home depot and maybe some wood carved in the shap of the head of an AX? The problem is it has to be very, very dull and i am not an acomplished painter. So i cant paint it to look sharp with a fear of messing it up. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciate as to what i can do to make it look very, very reall, but keep it very very dull?

I think oak island sells what you are looking for. They will be at the show also.
    Greg Allen
    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Do not go with a pick axe handle, stick with an axe handle, they weigh half as much. get some black plastic sheeting (look up a plastic supply place near you) you want 1/4 inch thick PVC, Polycarbonate, or Ploypropalene. cut out the axe shape that you want , but cut it like a butterfly, so your cutting the axe shape twice with the bit that goes around the handle attaching them. Then use a blow torch to heat the middle of the axe shape, heat it till its sift then wrap it around your handle. then melt the edges and sides together. Sand it a bit to get it smooth and make the blades look like one. Tape off the handle with masking tap, then spray paint the whole axehead with fusion silver paint by krylon. Its made for plastic. once thats dry tape the edge of the blade (where it would be sharp)with masking tape and the dust the rest of the blade with black, do not totally paint it just mist the paint over the silver to dull it down.
      careful with that torch now,
      Allen Hopps
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Plastic

They have this amazing stuff called Polycaprolactone. Basically it's a plastic, simmiler to nylon in it's properties that can me molded around 60 degrees C. This isn't very warm, boiling water will do the trick. You can buy it in sheets and mold it around pretty much anything. After you mold it and it hardens again the stuff is damn near indestructible. Take the idea from there and run. I'm sure you'll come up with more ideas than just an axe head.

Comment

Working...
        X