Inspiration question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiration question?

Where are you finding your inspiration to create characters? We have been too detailed on some of our makeup and the hard work goes un-noticed. I am doing a Victorian mansion this year. Costumes I am good with but a more basic dead face is what I am looking for.

Any thoughts besides searching other haunt websites? Not that these aren’t good places, but I am looking for some very realistic makeup. More human like vs monster like.

I love doing Victorian characters and one of my favorite sources of makeup inspiration for that time are the various diseases. Back then cholera, scarlet fever, tuberculosis, and small pox were dreaded infections that were well documented (and therefor easy to find actual photos of the ways the diseases altered the face, either in subtle creepy ways or in hideously marked ways).

If you want a basic dead face, simply do pale makeup (not caked on clown white, but a subtle realistic white) and hollow out the eyes, cheeks, throat, and temples (do not do this with a harsh black; you do not want the bad raccoon look). Then age the mouth and nasal cavities for a realistic gaunt look.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. I've taught makeup for years and the Victorian era is one of my specialties.
    Katie Lane
    Partner/VP
    Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
    sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Thanks Katie. Good idea on the diseases. Didn't think about that.

Comment

Try looking at Interview with a vampire, and 28 days later, they both had good fairly subtle makeups and were still very human.
        Diseases are a great make up reference, alot of character can also be gained from facial hair and what the actor does with their face, look at Jim Carey and actors like Robin williams Sure they use a rubbery face for comedy, but it works the other way as well.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
        X