Finally acquiring Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally acquiring Property

Found an older church, 14k square feet... Downtown Johnstown, Pennsylvania, great location, and there are NO haunts in this area.... hoping this can be a great start for haunts in this area.... I will update in a few days hoping to contract this place out to buy next week...

Wish me luck! =)
    Attached Files

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to hear them =)

Comment

Looks like a great location. The only thing I would do before buying is check with the city to make sure they're not going to give you problems in opening your haunt.
      http://www.hauntedozarks.com

Comment

Good luck, that looks a bit spooky even in the daytime. Please keep us posted...
        http://www.bigscaryshow.com
        http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedOzarks View Post
          Looks like a great location. The only thing I would do before buying is check with the city to make sure they're not going to give you problems in opening your haunt.
          Who do you think would be the best department to check with? Zoning officer?

Badger, thanks. They only want 64k for the property, brand new roof, and some other decent things..

Only thing is, it wouldn't be wheelchair accessible, which sucks, but not very limiting...

Comment

This thread might be useful. There are several others covering similar topics. You might want to go back a few pages and search them out...

http://hauntworld.com/haunted_house_...ad.php?t=11819
            http://www.bigscaryshow.com
            http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Well, thanks for that link, luckily this place is zoned c-3, which means its good for pretty much anything commercial... however, if I contract this place, I will definitely be contacting the zoning board, and seeing what their view on things are... maybe even BEFORE i contract... Hell I might just call them this afternoon! lol

Comment

Here, I don't even have to call them. Went to their website, and since I am zoned C-3, I fall under this category:

Permitted uses are as follows:
                a. Any use permitted in the C1District, except community garages or community parking areas, which are otherwise permitted by the Zoning Hearing Board;
                b. Retail stores (except where live poultry and live animals are kept on the premises), including incidental repair shops;
                c. Amusement enterprises, including a billiard or pool hall, bowling alley, boxing arena, dance hall, games of skill and chance, theater or cinema (other than a drive-in theater), festival grounds, incorporating outdoor fairs, concerts, expositions, and the like, shooting gallery and the like, provided that any portion of the use within 300 feet of property in a R or H District is conducted entirely within a completely enclosed building;

Comment

A possible concern

Would any church groups feel it was not the proper thing for their old church to be made into, "A HAUNTED HOUSE"!!??
                  Depending upon the amount of public outcry and political connections and influence this fact could be the Boogeyman in the closet of your plans.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
                    Would any church groups feel it was not the proper thing for their old church to be made into, "A HAUNTED HOUSE"!!??
                    Depending upon the amount of public outcry and political connections and influence this fact could be the Boogeyman in the closet of your plans.
                    We ran into a somewhat similar problem. Here in wisconsin there is an old church that was converted to a theatre when it was sold. The theatre group was producing "The Laramie Project" which has to do with Mathew Shepheard, a gay man that was beat to death years back, and the show was protested like crazy.

Not saying it would happen, but I could deffinatly see a similar situation with a haunt in an old church. Love the building, though!
                    "My day is not complete unless I have terrified a complete stranger!"

Erick James Gyrion
                    Owner - Oblivion Haunted House
                    Menasha, Wisconsin

www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com

Comment

Luckily this area is a big Catholic area... Western PA isn't really big on bible thumpers or over the top religious groups.

However, your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I take a tour inside tomorrow, and if things don't fit into place, I'll keep looking. =)

Comment

It's a long road down the 'approval' path, but my experience is to get to know your fire marshal REALLY well FIRST!

Do your home work first, then request a meeting with him and walk the walk and talk the talk with him.

Our Fire department is really supportive because I put 'Life-safety' issues first on the priority list, and I regularly consult with them on related issues. Of course our state requires sprinklers, so that does squash a LOT of apprehension right out of the box.
                        How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Oh yeah- GREAT looking place!

I'd stay away from ANYTHING satanic in nature- names, themes, images, etc. or you might insight some protest.

On the other hand- there is NO such thing as bad press!

good luck!
                          How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Originally posted by zombietoxin View Post
                            Oh yeah- GREAT looking place!

I'd stay away from ANYTHING satanic in nature- names, themes, images, etc. or you might insight some protest.

On the other hand- there is NO such thing as bad press!

good luck!

I'm not like that. I don't do religious themed things.. I actually tend to stay away from the whole traditional casket themed rooms as well. I don't like religion involved in Haunts, because Haunts are not designed to bash religious beliefs, they are intended to scare the daylights out of and entertain the intended audience.

Thanks for the kind words. I will post pictures of the inside tomorrow =)

Comment

Did I really use the word 'insight' there?...

Yup I did....

:?

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X