Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haunted House Sales Tax? Are you charged a sales tax on admission ticket sales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted House Sales Tax? Are you charged a sales tax on admission ticket sales?

Do you collect/pay sales tax on haunted house admissions? Ohio is considering charging a sales tax on entertainment (along with dozens of other new businesses) and I was wondering if any states are now charging a sales tax on haunted house admission?

Kelly

We are in Ohio, and our city charges us an Admission Tax per ticket sold. Just like with movie theaters, gym memberships, etc.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Yes. Here in Maryland it's a whopping 10% admission and amusement tax.

Allan

Comment

Alabama

Ok here is the deal in Huntsville Alabama! In Huntsville I pay 91/2 sales tax! The city gets 4% State gets 5% and County gets 1/2%. It's the same as you buying something from Wal-Mart I always thought it sucked because they actually don't get anything. I feel admission should have a different rate! Shane and it's pay the tax man!
        sigpic

Comment

F%&k Yes the tax man commith.. You most likely should have already been paying it.. Consult with your accountant. He/She will know for sure......................

Comment

Kelly, do you have a link to the story or the house bill, etc., by chance?
            Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Here in Texas we have to pay the tax man also. I used to have to file quarterly but now they are allowing me to give them money once a year. Isn't that nice of them!!!! Of course when I filed quarterly I filed (0) zero because my haunt is not a year round haunt and I only bring in money from ticket sales during the last quarter of the year. I have to pay tax on every cent I make be it ticket sales or food sales. The tax is built into the price of everything sold. No fun at all. The only up side is you get to claim that tax as an expense at the end of the year. Happy times!! Also here in Texas, and I assume in every other state, if you file long form you can deduct every bit of sales tax on every item you have bought throughout the year. I'm talking about that TV you bought for your living room, that blender for your kitchen anything where you are charged sales tax.

KEEP RECEIPTS FOR EVERYTHING YOU BUY!!

Sue
              http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Sue,

You are lucky they let you pay at once. I think most states send out monthly notices and like you did you put in 0 when you're not open, it'd be easier to only do it once or a couple times for the year. I think a lot of would be Haunters think haunts are a cash cow but they rarely know about taxes like this that severely impact your bottom line.

Jake

Comment

Yes! The City of St Louis probably have the worst taxes of any city in America... first we pay the highest state tax because we are in the city something like 7.6% then the city charges a flat 5% tax... so yeah big time!

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Nobody knows your numbers, but you...just sayin.....

stew

Comment

Sales tax on entertainment

So sorry to hear some of you are dealing with this already. Sounds like some of the tax rates are extreme. Curious, do you include the sales tax in your price to do you charge it in addition. For example if you currently charge $20 for admission and sales tax is 5.5%, do you charge $21.10 or do you lower your price and charge $18.95 x 5.5% = $20?? I would think you would want to avoid having to give change in coins, but that’s a huge amount to absorb.

Ohio is considering implementing a new sales tax of 5% on entertainment (sporting events, movies, theatre, etc.) they haven’t mentioned haunted attractions yet, but it will probably be added when someone figures out that it hasn’t been included.

I’m asking the questions to help us prepare for when it happens. Trying to figure out how to budget/plan for it.

Thanks for all the comments.

Comment

Just charge $22 and tell guests that included Ohio state entertainment tax.

Comment

Tax man? We pay no stinking taxes mon

State of VA - no sales tax on tickets thank goodness. I think NC does but not sure.
                          Travis "Big T" Russell
                          President
                          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

There was talk of a service tax here (Michigan) a few years ago but it didn't go through. That would have affected all entertainment venues I believe. The thing is you never know if they might decide to bring that up again. You would think we all pay enough taxes already.
                            Jared Layman

Comment

Kelly, I have been following this pretty close, and I do not believe that it has legs. The people that are raising the most hell about it, are the County Fairs. Fairs are already in a bad shape, due to a combination of the economy, and using the same business model for the last 30 years. I just don't see it happening. Let's hope.
                              www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Working...
                              X