BS Haunt Reveiws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This subject always bothers me

When it comes to these reviews and especially these top 10 haunts or Americas best haunts. Come on get real most of the time if not all of the time they are the same group of large mega haunts over and over every year, with maybe one or two others thrown in to appease the crowd. Who actually rates these and how can they unless they see all or the vast majority of pro haunts, it all boils down to who knows who and who is friends with who.

Case in point our haunt in located in the same state as one of these so called best haunts in America, but year after year our customers consistently say ours is heads and shoulders better and scarier than this supposed top haunt in America. And these are unbiased customers that have been to both, so go figure. Not to mention this so called top haunt seldom changes anything, which we change at least 50% every year.

Its just a sham but I don't see a way to beat the good ole boys network they have established out there. I am sure I will get some flaming responses from maybe one or two of these big boys but I call em as I see em.

Lastly I definately am not saying some of the haunts on these lists don't belong there, some really do as they are truly fantastic but other shouldn't be and just because a haunt isnt 20,000 square feet doesn't mean it isn't a quality haunt in terms of detail and actors. Oh well what are you going to do?

Jeff

Comment

I dont think there should be any review sites that review haunts let the public decide for themselves. It doesn't seem right that some haunters put their lives on hold and blood, sweat and tears in to their haunt and if one reviewer hated it it could end up costing the actual haunter lots of business. Why should reviewers have power over the haunts themselves? It's usually nothing more than a haunt owner wannabe who can't do it for themselves tries to be a player in the haunt market by being a reviewer. If they had that much passion for the haunt business they'd step up and actually run a haunt instead of being on the sidelines because only then could you truly understand the challenges of doing a haunt.

Darkangel

Comment

Originally posted by Night Stalker View Post
        Case in point our haunt in located in the same state as one of these so called best haunts in America, but year after year our customers consistently say ours is heads and shoulders better and scarier than this supposed top haunt in America. And these are unbiased customers that have been to both, so go figure.

We get the same thing a LOT... but I always figured those people tell whichever haunt they happen to be at that they are the best, then turn around and tell the other guy the same thing the next night/weekend.

We have managed to climb the ranks on the OhioValleyHaunts site the past few seasons and I really do feel it has helped us to grow our attendance... we fell out of the top five this year to number six because we raised our price to match the competition and lost a couple of points on value.

Noah is coming this weekend for the first time in 4 years I believe and we hope to wow him, but he'll get the same show every other customer got... we try to make that a point. I agree that it would probably be better if the reviewers were unannounced until after they've been through. I have more trouble trying to make sure the reviewers get as good a show as normal customers as the actors get nervous trying to blow the reviewers away and screw up their parts rather than doing them better...
        Brett Hays, Director
        Fear Fair
        www.fearfair.com

Comment

More and more this year we find our customers that have been to this supposed top haunt are staying away and plan on just attending our haunt due to two things.

1. that they get a better and scarier show as oppose to a funhouse type atmosphere.
          2. They feel they are getting ripped off from the big haunt due to thier ticket prices being in the 20 something range. Our ticket prices are 13 for adults.

I really dont see how we can change these ratings but it sure is a sore spot especially when you know you are head and shoulders better but never get a look.

Jeff

Comment

we have some guys in NC the we pay to be on there website and the deal is they will come out to the haunt get in (for free) and do a review. So they all come out (for free) every weekend there is like 4-6 people from the website and still cant get up a review.
            BLOOD, GUTS AND GORE!
            www.horrorfields.com

Comment

Originally posted by krazedklownkilla View Post
              we have some guys in NC the we pay to be on there website and the deal is they will come out to the haunt get in (for free) and do a review. So they all come out (for free) every weekend there is like 4-6 people from the website and still cant get up a review.
              Don't pay them next year to be on their site. If they start losing money maybe they will learn that having reviews still not up on the final week of the month is not acceptable for a haunt that is featured or not. Review sites are only as big as we make them. If they aren't working good for the customer then like we are doing now, take a stand.

We also have determined here that we don't let them in anymore for free or otherwise. No one likes a mooch for a good weekend excursion. You just have to decide if they are an asset or not, money is too hard nowadays to just throw away.
              ~WelchWitch

Comment

Unfortunately...

Over the last 21 years of dealing with all kinds of writers and reporters I have come to the conclusion that there is basically a huge lack of talent there.
                OK, "Talent" might be a naturally budding thing that just doesn't happen for some people,ever, but then maybe they could substitute a lack of talent for accuracy in stating facts?..No, too much to hope for , I guess?
                "Gotta punch out "X" number of words to get the little paycheck, illreguardless of what those words mean..."
                It's sad.
                Some people do seem to have a "calling" to certain professions, most don't know what such a feeling or desire is,it's totally foreign to their personality.
                Many of us have a passion for this thing we do, we have to have it to even get things off the ground. Maybe this is where their biggest short-fall lies?
                Of course having a driving passion to torpedo the other guy is also a dominante human factor, isn't it?
                "HHHHMMMM?"
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Indiana lack

There have only been two haunts reviewed (2007 ) in the northern half of the whole state of Indiana. We would welcome a visit. Until then I feel the CityBlood website should add NORTHERN to the Indiana rating reviews that JollyPumpkin does as he splits out Ohio.

There are many haunts in the northern area starting in Terre Haute and Muncie and heading north to us, Ft Wayne, Plymouth, Warsaw, South Bend, Elkhart, Hammond, and in between.

While the whole review thing is subjective, it is frustrating when haunts claim something that isn't quite right. Last year I saw a haunt in ^%$@*$ claiming a Hauntworld top13 when I couldn't find it listed on the Hauntworld list. While I have visited FearFair and know Brett Hays does a great job, we would like to be able to see a review of our haunt to compare.
                  Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                  Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    I dont think there should be any review sites that review haunts let the public decide for themselves. It doesn't seem right that some haunters put their lives on hold and blood, sweat and tears in to their haunt and if one reviewer hated it it could end up costing the actual haunter lots of business. Why should reviewers have power over the haunts themselves? It's usually nothing more than a haunt owner wannabe who can't do it for themselves tries to be a player in the haunt market by being a reviewer. If they had that much passion for the haunt business they'd step up and actually run a haunt instead of being on the sidelines because only then could you truly understand the challenges of doing a haunt.

I have bitten my tongue long enough and have to respond.

Darkangel… Regarding haunt reviews, I do it both ways. I review haunted attractions myself. I also offer a section of my website devoted to the general public, who want to post their own reviews.

As for the existence of the reviews themselves, I see nothing wrong with that. If the public likes a haunted attraction, they will write a good review. If they don’t, they will write one giving constructive criticism. I think that reviews provide feedback that owners wouldn’t get otherwise. It allows them to modify and improve their shows accordingly.

If a haunt review site posts fraudulent reviews or ones based on financial interests, then I agree with you completely. They should be blown out of the water. But if a haunt review site gives valid feedback to haunts (whether they want to hear it or not), that can only be helpful, in the long run.

Speaking as a person who has reviewed haunted attractions for at least eleven years, I think I know what I am talking about. I have been behind the scenes at many haunted attractions and I have been attending most of the Industry shows for the same amount of time. With that being said, I think I have enough knowledge to know what it takes to put an attraction together.

As for your comment “It's usually nothing more than a haunt owner wannabe who can't do it for themselves tries to be a player in the haunt market by being a reviewer.” Grabbing at straws, aren’t we? While everyone’s situation is different, speaking for myself only, I have never… nor will I ever aspire to be a haunted attraction owner. It’s my opinion that once you let your passion (mine is with Halloween) become ruled by the almighty dollar, then the fun goes away.

So, why do I do what I do? I do it because I LOVE Halloween and haunted houses. I have, ever since I was a child. I visit haunted attractions and write reviews as a service to the community. I want people to know which haunts are black hallways vs those that have outstanding animatronics, special effects and acting. When you made the comment that all reviewers are nothing more than failed owners trying to make their place in the Industry… With all due respect, you don’t know what the hell you are talking about.
                    Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                    Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Who says a review has to be allowed as part of paid admission?

Comment

Well, there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it, is there? People are entitled to their opinion and free speech guarantees their ability to express it, online or otherwise.
                        Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                        Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Since you ask Yes, the sale of that ticket is a contract period has nothing to do with free speech. It can be conditioned as long as race, religion etc. are not one of the conditions. You have the right not to purchase too.

Lets take his one step further if the reviewer has been warned not to come then it is trespassing. In that case a high degree type of trespassing since there are several types and thus penalties.

Comment

Working...
                          X