Your Opinion Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Opinion Please!

On Saturday morning I stood in line at a local retailor to get free basketball game tickets to an NBA team, My question is can I legally rafel off these tickets for a profit to myself, or donate the money to someone?

I do plan on taking donations, is there any leagal things I need to know here?

Mr. Haunt

I beleive there are 3 things that would classify a raffle or something as a lottery or gambling. Cost, reward, and chance. All 3 need to be met for it to be considered gambling. You already have the reward, the tickets. If your raffle is free (which it's not) then you'd be ok. If it had a cost but there was no chance, as in everyone would win something but only one person would win the tickets, that would be ok. But if you simply intend to sell raffle tickets with one winner getting them, that would probably be considered gambling which would likely be illegal. Now if the raffle is actually for charity, then there might be some exceptions which you'd have to look into. You might be able to do that.

I'm not a lawyer so don't take this as fact, do your own research. But I seem to recall someone telling me at some point that all 3 of those conditions must be met for it to be considered gambling. That's why all those fast food restaurants doing those giveaways always say no purchase required.
    -Rob

Audio Guru
    Lighting Designer

Comment

Working...
    X