No announcement yet.

Chainsaws - Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes yes I agree with everyone saying you need only 1 chainsaw or maybe 2 at the most. I currently operate the chainsaw at my haunted house and I have been for the last 6 years or so and based on customer surveys, my character tends to get a lot more votes than most of our other characters but its not solely on the fact that I have a chainsaw. For example, we have one out in our line area but he is only there a couple of times through out the season so he doesn't effect me much but we let a 2nd chainsaw roam around in back and by the time they go to me, the customer's reactions were "another one?". This is why haunts only need 1 chainsaw if any. Also, a haunt can do very well without because, when you think about it, all the person who is operating the saw is doing(if he/she is doing it right) is a glorified version of popping out and making a loud noise. Granted it is on an extreme level but it is still the same thing and that's what I tell most of the newbies who we bring on during the off season that the simplest scares are the best scares and the chainsaw is pretty much a simple scare but again on an extreme level. This is why haunts really don't need a saw but I must say it is quite a rush to chase someone who is completely terrified of you.

Comment

It Is An "Ego" Thing

Scaring someone. I guess it sort of says:"I'm smarter than you?" Maybe :"I'm braver than you." (Because to effect that scare I had to lay in a real coffin, or stand in a dark, scary place waiting for you.?)
      So going with this ego-line of thinking, imagine how it feels to scare someone by just saying a few, choice mellow words followed by silence. A silence that gives their brain time to fumble in it's repair tool box, pull out the wrong fix-it tool, drop it on their own foot and scream!
      If you can take enough time to set people up and give them the time to stew abit, a fun scare can be coming from anything, even something as simple and cheap as slowing walking across the dark room, dragging your feet, taking possibly 4 minutes to do this, covering only maybe 8 feet in distance, building their anticipation by stopping , waiting, going completely silent.
      This might sound totally nuts to most of you, BUT I have had So Much Fun doing what I have just described and such reactions from people too! Wow!
      Maybe this works so well because it is so different and unexpected? Or maybe it works so well because the act itself is so basic and ties into a very common imaginative fear.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I think DENTIST drills are creepier

just ask Dr. Yank'em. That high pitched, winey sound is enough to give most people the shivers. Saw it used in a haunted house scene once and it went over BIG. Not overdone like chainsaws, which is a good thing.

Comment

you know its funny this year out of all the stupid question those dumb--s I mean patrons asked the one i heard the most was is there going to be chainsaws in there. Its an oldey but it gets them every time

Comment

But did you ask them?

Whether they were looking for "chainsaws" because they wanted them or because they didn't want them?
            98% of people asking me about them don't want to hear, see, smell them or be the victim of a faux-attack from one.
            I create happiness when I tell them we don't do that.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Most of them are from females from the age of 12 to 18. No these are direct questions i usually just smile and say i don't know. They usually start saying i hate chainsaws and start recanting some stupid story about how scared they got from chainsaw. Hey it works for me. Just Watch
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LaLToBLQwBo

Comment

Originally posted by DDJR View Post
                you know its funny this year out of all the stupid question those dumb--s I mean patrons asked the one i heard the most was is there going to be chainsaws in there. Its an oldey but it gets them every time
                The only question I recall hearing over and over in lines more than "is there chainsaws" is "is their clowns?"
                sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Being our first year of operation we went without the chainsaw for half of the month, but I just felt like we were missing some thing and I felt like it was needed and I must say we scared a lot with because a lot happened around and in the area it was used.

I would agree though it's something that very well could be over used.

Brian
                  Axdahls Haunted Farm

Comment

There is nothing better than watching the chainsaw weilding crazy looking, blood covered guy come chasing after a group of unsuspecting teens with a chainsaw and watching them scatter, screaming in fear and running into the chainlink fence in an attempt to escape. Best scare, hands down. I don't get it, chainsaws are sooo not my thing, but that is comical to watch and the queue line gets a kick out of watching the patrons scramble away in fear!
                    Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

Our folks love them and if we don't have one or two in the haunt, the patrons are disappointed. Clowns and Chainsaws..... who knew.
                      Humboldt House of Horrors
                      Chris Riehl
                      Sales@spookyfinder.com
                      (586)209-6935
                      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

As a professional hauntee (like that? just made that up) I'd like to say I appreciate BOTH sides of the grave. I mean, c'mon how much more classic can you get? CHAAAAINSAWWWW. Now, than again, I do see the side of trying to be as original as possible.

I say go with the CS! I bet if you took a toll, MOST PEOPLE will say they like the Chainsaws. Again though, as been said x's over, 1 or 2 max.

We went to one this year, first one of theirs we'd been to. (2nd year for them I believe) OMG man, they had so many CS's it was weetodded. Wasn't even funny, in fact, was kinda annoying. We were so tired of hearing that buzz we were just ready to gtfo. after 3 rooms. AND THEY WERE DIFFERENT ACTORS doing it. If I had to guess they had like 7 or so going.

my nickel's worth.

~{Frightener}~

Comment

A Different Perscprctive-Last Night Nov.10th

Last night the Husband, Wife and teenage Son drove almost the entire length of Illinois to see The Ravens Grin Inn, they drive everywhere half of Sept. and all of October to see every haunted house they can, taking off a lot of time from work to do this.
                          The Wife told me her Husband "Loves" chainsaws! Then she told me:"They get pretty sloppy with them sometimes and I don't like them, I was "slapped" across my legs by chainsaws several times this fall and one time I had trouble even walking the next day when I went to work."
                          They saw many little "$10.oo Haunted Houses" this is where this happened and the entire $10.oo venue bought them very little in the way of any kind of entertainment, they stated.
                          They exited here being impressed by how different my whole place and show was and then stopped to buy a tee-shirt which gave me the opportunity to tell the Husband that the next time they come here I will do My Chainsaw Routine for him. I didn't do it this last October at all because I have so many routines I do in that first room already.
                          Like almost everything else here, that routine is very different and it has been copied by other haunts which is a burr under my saddle, "Oh,Well?"
                          This post is simply informational and is presented here simply because last night the subject was talked about by these new patrons of mine. Sometimes I get a whole new persprctive from listening to the customers. I try to talk to as many of them as possible.
                          Last edited by Jim Warfield; 11-11-2011, 06:46 AM.
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We have a few chainsaws roaming all over the attraction so they never know when it is coming. It's great to hear them in the distance also. I am one of the guys that has one. When you start it up right behind someone in a dark tunnel they freak out and it's an awesome scare. It's all in how you do it. Having a light saw that is loud and starts right away is key. I have one that starts on half a pull, it's awesome!

Here is some footage that shows a lot of chainsaws and the effect they have on people.

I was never into clowns years ago but now have a huge circus section in the haunt because that is what people want. Chainsaws and clowns. We have a lot of other scares as well but the chainsaw and clowns are what get the best reaction from people and is what I hear people talking about when I see them on the street.

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

See Saw

I have thought about this for several years. I have never used them because I didnt want to do like everyone else. This year we are opening a new attraction outside, and I am using a Chain Saw as the climax scare. Its in the woods, body parts hanging in teh trees, so this should work great.
                              Travis "Big T" Russell
                              President
                              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Chainsaws are something I have done in the past and thinking about having again. It really adds that stimulation factor hearing that epic sound of someone trying to start one then revving it up. And that sound effect doesn't have the same effect when used on a recording.
                                Chris Riehl
                                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                                (586)209-6935
                                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Working...
                                X