Chainsaws - Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Front Yard Fright View Post
    Ever since I started my haunt I've always been against chainsaws. I personally think they are overdone in the haunt industry, and are, in my eyes, a cheap scare. However, the more I visit haunts, and the more I hear about what people like, it seems like chainsaws are just the way to go.

I'm in the process of planning my pro haunt for next year and I'm looking for your opinions on this. Are chainsaws needed in a pro haunt?
    I feel the same way toward the Vortex Tunnels... I think they have nothing to do with a haunt or scare ...But people love them... So yo just have to give them what they like if you want repeat customers.

Just my thought

Comment

If I were a single stand alone haunt I would have one. My haunt is in a park. Clowns and Chainsaws are covered for me by the other haunts in the park. I rotate five themes and none of them will support a chainsaw. They are to fun to do to change also.
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I just went to a haunt last night that is famous for having chainsaws...LOTS of chainsaws. I assumed that the folks I talked to meant about 4-5 actors with saws but I saw 5 within the first 5 MINUTES of the hayride and that was before I went on their trail. I lost count after about 40. Frankly, I was bored of them after a few minutes. The haunt has been around more than 15 years and is in a (for lack of a better term) redneckish area. However, that's what they think their audience wants to see so that's what they do.

One of the managers has contacted me about lowering the number of chainsaws down to about 10 within a couple years as they want to go to a more actor-based haunt. I feel it's going to take a lot of work to get their actors to accept not using them and actually (gasp) ACT in the haunt. I have already scheduled an entire weekend for them next season so I have my work cut out for me.
        http://www.bigscaryshow.com
        http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Which haunt was this Badger? I would love to know. By the way I only have 2 saws at the same time.

Comment

A chainsaw "Talks" too loud.

Sure everybody within a 100 feet can hear what it is "saying".. but isn't it always saying the same thing?
            I often do a "chainsaw" routine in my first room but I do the "saying", acting, speaking, spreading dread and aticipation, then the finale which is extremely character based and I am the character not the chainsaw.
            This could be the several "step" program to ween a chainsaw mechainic into becoming more of an "Actor".
            (No actual chainsaws were heard from in the making of this entertainment)

Many potential customers will not buy your ticket if they hear, smell or see a chainsaw first. I know this because I spend the time to talk to most of them.
            Of course some of these patrons of mine had that one chainsaw interlude and decided to always miss that boat again.
            My customers span all age groups including young familys with Grandma and small kids. This is where my "gravy" is all the rest of the year.
            We control and modify tours to suit the group looking at us.
            25 years, open almost every night of the year and Sat, & Sun. afternoons.
            Located in the world's worst location for a haunted house (But I think that it is BEST!)
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jury is in!

Okay so the jury is in. I rode tram through Camp Nightmare several times to check out what was effective and what was ineffective, and I will admit that the chainsaw worked every time. It works better with someone that is convincing as I did notice one of my actors was very reluctant to get close with teh chainsaw and simply waved it around in teh air. The older actors were very aggressive with it and ran the chain bar along the side of the tram, and along the hand rails. Worked great. It will be back next year ...... after I make repairs to the chain saw!! (Advice - have plenty of spare parts and a back-up. They take abuse).
              Travis "Big T" Russell
              President
              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
              X