The Vatican Condemns Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vatican Condemns Halloween

Google it, fresh off the "presses" today!
    All dressing in costumes and celebrating Halloween is a big "No-No!"
    Everyone is supposed to be engrossed in prayer that night......
    This all got the attention of the people in France and Italy because recently kids discovered Halloween and began dressing up.
    My Wife reminded me that the Pope had refused to speak out against Harry Potter though.
    I know! Let's all call our places Harry Potter's Castle or something.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

What? They announced this just now ?........A bit late in the game don't-cha think? :|

Comment

They are jealous. They want to be the only ones to wear silly costumes and offer candy to kids. <duck>
      Last edited by bhays; 10-31-2009, 08:33 AM.
      Brett Hays, Director
      Fear Fair
      www.fearfair.com

Comment

Purveyor of &quot;Fear&quot;

I guess is only supposed to have ONE distributorship..religion.
        "If you don't behave, you are damned for eternity to hell!"
        "If you don't do as WE say, same end."
        Attending a haunted House show can of course leave some people perminetly emotionally scared, just like some church services!
        So our organist is Lon Chaney Sr. and we collect at the front door, give a glimpse of varying damnations but usually try to quell those feelings the customer might have with mental stimulation and some real physical exertion, which leads them to the salvation of leaving those demons behind, faintly calling their name, around the corner, behind an exit door.........
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

What is funny is that they had a lot to do with the what Halloween has become today.
          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

A Pope's &quot;Impact&quot;?

What might it be? I happened to wonder about someone tied up with a charity haunt. Might some charity be persuaded to dump the Haunt affilliation because of this negative PR from the Vatican?
            Might it be now more difficult to get a charity sponser because of this?
            One would guess that this anti-Halloween statement would have some effect somewhere?
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

And the Roman Catholic Church wonders why people keep leaving their churches in droves...
              Guerilla Haunter

Comment

Thats nothing compared to the Fundamentalist nut jobs protesting all through downtown Salem on Halloween. These people are the scariest people I have ever seen. They have always been coming to town, but I have never taken a second to listen to them. I did the other day. They literally hate everyone except Jesus, and want everyone to burn in hell, sinners, gays, christians, jews, arabs, budhists, atheists, wiccans, men, women, children, and anyone who has ever had sex without being married. I find it scary that we have people like this in our community. Aside from horror movies, I hate violence, I dont even watch boxing or wrestling because I find it pointless to hit or hurt someone else. However, all night I was hoping to see these wackos get laid out. I'm all for freedom of speech, but what they do is harassment!
                The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

I have to disagree with the stereotype of Fundamentalist Christians as people who hate everyone except Jesus and want everyone to burn in hell. I have found them to be like most people, decent and friendly-- if you take the time to talk to them and get to know them. They have strong views, many of which are not shared by me, but so do most members of Congress, and they do more to make our life difficult than the Fundamentalist Christians ever do!

That being said, we did get protested by Fundies at our haunted house on Halloween a few years back. They showed up with signs and a bull horn, and read scripture to the audience. Some of our cast went out to taunt them. I ordered them back inside and told the protesters they were welcome to stay as long as they wanted. They seemed confused by the turnabout in attitude and soon packed up and went away. Having them there just gave us more attention and added to the excitement of going inside, creating an atmosphere of danger and daring. I don't think they scared anyone away but probably got more people to stop by and join the line. If some of the crowd were touched by their message and ended up joining a church or reading the Bible, more power to them. It's no skin off my nose. The bottom line is: if you treat them as an enemy, they are more likely to become one. If you treat them as you would like to be treated, they are more likely to return the favor. Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like something JC himself said!

True, there are always some who are rabid and crazy about their beliefs, but every group has those types. I'm just glad we don't live in a country where the government is dominated by clerics who would shut us down faster than you can say "Ajatollah khomeini". So overall, a protest or two is nothing compared to the real world alternatives.
                  www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

I can only speak about the ones I have seen, and this year alone, on Halloween night, there were 4 completley seperate groups protesting in Salem. One of the was all kids and teenagers, which was extra creepy, very Children of the Corn like! I have never sat down and talked to them, but based on what I have seen them do live, and on the news, and online in videos, they are crazy. I am not religious one bit, however being atheist, I have probably read more of the bible than most christians have researching what other people believe. These people were flat out making things up, and saying that is what the bible says. Then when you ask them to find it in the bible to show you, they couldnt, and just ignored you and moved on to more garbage.

I am not against other people believing in religion, I even think it is good for some people, some people need to have that security blanket, and who am I to take it away from them. But once you start preaching to me, and telling me that I am wrong unless I do what they say I should do, that's when a line gets crossed. These Fundi's as you call them, are not a religion, they are a cult, and they are full of hate. They are happy when soldiers come home dead from war, they are happy that Sept 11 happened, they are happy that the world has AIDS, these are not good people, they believe all these things are gods punishment to us for not following his rules, it is disgusting. These are not nice people, these are not happy people, these are sick people.

Just because I dont follow their bullshit rules and believe in their god dosnt make me a bad person! I am a good person. I donate money to charities, I donate my DJ services to fundraisers, I give food to shelters during the holidays, I even give christmas gifts to churches in December. I let people go when I am driving and I stop for pedestrians. If I see a homeless guy standing outside of a store that I am going into, I'll buy him a sandwich and give it to him on my way out. I go to hospitals and do magic tricks for kids who are sick. I do what I can to help people who are less fortunate than I am. I dont do it because my church says I should, or because I want god to let me into heaven, I do it because I dont like to see people suffer, and I want to help when and how I can. Who are these assholes to tell me I am wrong and that I am going to burn in hell because I have looked a woman with lust, or because I dont go around all day doing gods work, or because I have a friend who happens to be gay? Anyone who believes these things are crazy, and it is scary that they are out in regular society.
                    The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

And you're surprised at the Vatican's position?
                      Do you expect them to endorse Halloween?
                      C'mon. You KNOW that Halloween is all about evil stuff and the church is all about love and everything opposite evil - which separates us from GOD

Everyone on this board KNOWS that the stuff we do on Halloween, graven images and all, has nothing to do with God or the church. So why even bring it up?
                      I think you need to expect some criticism.

Comment

..and today's news story...

Banning crucifixes from being displayed in schools in Italy?
                        This got the Vatican going!
                        BBC-Sirius radio news.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

<< They are happy when soldiers come home dead from war, they are happy that Sept 11 happened, they are happy that the world has AIDS, these are not good people, they believe all these things are gods punishment to us for not following his rules, it is disgusting. These are not nice people, these are not happy people, these are sick people.>>

Yikes! If that is what you think Christians believe, no wonder you're upset about them! Fortunately, the vast VAST majority of Christians do not believe ANY of that stuff from the above paragraph. (And that includes the most orthodox of the Fundamentalists.) In fact, I only know of one group that does believe that stuff, a group so small, it's made up of one family (called "God Fates Fags.com). The media gives them lots of press, but they are less than 20 people and the Christians make up over 200 million in his country alone. If just 1% of them were truly that evil, we would be in BIG trouble by now! So don't despair. The angry kinds of people make headlines because they are so much out of the ordinary that it is newsworthy and shocking. The typical Christian (just like the typical person) is rather bland and boring. They might try to witness to you if given the chance, but they do not hate the army, love the terrorists, or want deadly diseases to run rampant throughout the world. Like all religions, they want others to hear about theirs and hopefully join it. I've lived in the middle of the Bible belt (Alabama) for many years, so I've seen the most hardcore. They can be very colorful, but not really dangerous or malicious. A handful have gone off their rocker, but like I said at the beginning, that happens in every group.
                          www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

I really dislike the people who do evil, nasty, controlling things to others , just because..They CAN! (Versus situations that put some in between a rock and hard place)
                            Like the huge bully who slaps the smaller person because he knows he can do it and get away with it. (Maybe no witnesses or just sheer gall.)
                            As I was observing a barnyard pen with maybe 60 mostly grown hogs, I took notice that all but two of them were resting, sleeping, comfortable, but the "two" were sneaking around the sleepers nipping tails, causing pain, surprise and problems for the few unlucky enough to become their target.
                            I like to indulge in the thinking that most people just want to "get along" most of the time..but there will always be those few who needlessly stir things up ..just because they CAN!
                            ..stirring a dank brew of the worst ingredients and outcomes.
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Actually, people are not leaving the Catholic church in droves their joining it because they are leaving the Anglican church in droves becoming Catholic because the protestant churches are allowing women and gay bishops, etc which angered many. Without the stability of the Catholic Church and hard stand on preserving what few morals still exist this world would be a free-for-all. Also without the Catholics and their cousins the Orthodox in the east of Europe we'd all be Muslims living under "Sharia" or Muslim law with no chance of celebrating Halloween, Christmas, or pretty much anything else we enjoy. They were the front lines that allowed so many of these spin-off religious sects to even exist. You're welcome!

Micheal Davy is correct doing what we will will never be looked at as favorable in the eyes of any organized religion, its a mute point...

Allan

Comment

Working...
                              X