Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transworld to charge to attend St Louis Conv.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16 to attend TW

I really dont see that there is going to be some great problem with the age limit being dropped to 16. How many 16 year olds are really going to get in to the show? Last time I checked into TW, you had to prove that you were an actual business; meaning business licence, tax ID... How many 16 year olds have that?

If the venders are going to be concerned about loosing catalogs and other litterature that will surely not result in a sale, they shouldnt give them to some kid anyway. If there is a minor there, they should be with their party. So only give the catalog to the main person in that party. NOT that big a deal.
    Kelly Anderson
    Owner- Halloween Undercroft
    http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
    Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

I don't know how I feel about this! On one hand, I've been the young haunter on the floor, taking every piece of print material I could get... and "clogging up" the show floor; it was FUN!!

But on the other hand, I now own a haunt... I do need time with vendors to write orders, pass money, etc. etc. etc. I see that if TW is going to charge a fee to get in, they should drop the pre-req's. I don't have the time to go a send out copies of my business license, tax I.D. info, etc. etc... it's time consuming and I have other things to worry about. Now, add sending in an admission fee for the damn show.

Is this per person? I ask this because we're bringing a CREW!!! TW better provide or they will hear about it from us. Again, this makes Midwest that much more appealing!!!

-Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

So if they drop the age limit to 16, are you really thinking that they are going to be supervised by someone? Do you think the only 16 year olds that are going to attend are ones that own a haunt? I am sure there are plenty of haunts out there that hire that age group or have children that are that age group. I can understand some people would want to take there kids that are 16, my son (who is 16) helps with the haunt on many levels and has since he was 9 years old. BUT I don't need him to help BUY anything. That is what I thought this show was about to BUY materials for our haunts. I must be confussed. I don't think that having 2-4 16 year olds that own a haunt is a good reason to open the door for any that want to come.

My 2 pennies
        Christina
        FEARFEST

Comment

[QUOTE=Kelly Anderson;79992]I really dont see that there is going to be some great problem with the age limit being dropped to 16. How many 16 year olds are really going to get in to the show? Last time I checked into TW, you had to prove that you were an actual business; meaning business licence, tax ID... How many 16 year olds have that?
          =) i do =)lol srry just couldnt resist haha
          im super pumped for this year!!!!
          Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I think they should raise the age to 21. If anyone is relying on teens that work for them to make decisions on spending big bucks your crew is not where it should be. Kids that age still do not know the value of money and will have you buying every cool thing they see in the show. It's a business show for professionals not a cool place to gawk at new props and equipment...

Also, Badlander2000 the names you mentioned being the first to go pro is that verified anywhere? Just because you know them and they post here doesn't mean that back in the 80's or 90's before the Fright Forum there wasn't a kid even younger charging admission to a haunted house. Hell, some people say that if you charge a fee to the public to tour your haunt you are a professional, by that account I was a pro haunter at 8 years old....as were many in that age group.

Darkangel

Comment

wow. im turning 16 april 28th and the show is march 28th . this stinks because my dad and mom r 80% sure they will back me up and let me go pro next year. this stinks.

Comment

I agree with Larry.... spreading the costs is a way to bring more vendors, yes they are there to make money BUT Haunts are there to spend money. The easier you make it for vendors to attend the bigger the show gets which allows you to spend more money !!

AND

The cheaper it is for vendors to attend the better deals you may recieve !!

I think its a win / win situation.... You need the show to grow - this will not happen if you thin out the vendors by increasing costs of the show. Spreading the costs across the field is the only way these costs can be reduced.
                "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
                www.maliciousstudios.com
                "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
                http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

Originally posted by xxxdirk View Post
                  Just got off the phone with TW and they are going to lower the age limit to 16 this year, but are also charging $40 to attend. This includes 1 seminar and admission into the welcome party...
                  Thoughts?
                  What happens if someone is not interested in attending a seminar? Will there be some sort of 'ticket' or 'pass' (something tangible) that can be passed off to someone else? Is there a cost for those who would be arriving after the welcoming party and who may not want to see any seminars, or are these two goodies just items tacked on to appease those who are less than enthusiastic about an entrance fee?
                  Reggie Grenwych
                  SvenPuss Productions
                  www.SvenPuss.com

Comment

One of my many hats as well as haunter is the amusement buisness for 10 plus years I have had to pay to attend the big ammusement show iaapa its just part of it and o yeah show year I have got in free of course that was when I called on that long time vendor that I drop and averange of. 10 to 20 grand with just about every season that gives me free pass that they get with there both rental what about all those guys who come to show just to get ideas hell the networking that could be done at a show is probably worth a few bucks HA HA course that's just my opoinion I know I'm still new to this whole game.

Comment

I'm not getting it. Are people confused about the two new policies?

There won't be roving bands of teenagers polluting the place, because along with the lowering of the age limit they are instituting an admission fee for the first time. Very few teenagers are going to pay $40 to attend.

Comment

I just don't understand all the animosity that vendors have towards haunt crews. I mean its like if I don't have the check book I should not be able to walk through, look, ask questions. At Graystone the people on the crew have input, we make suggestions, give informations and implement the installation, repair, maintenance and upkeep on all the things purchased. I think if a haunt is qualified it should be allowed to bring its crew, its team that makes all of the pretty toys work, that build sets, or detail or does makeup. At Graystone input and teamwork is valued and appreciated, sure the checkbook speaks last and loudest but on more than one occasion it has been nudged in a certain direction.

I am not saying that the price is not there to weed out some looky lookers but get the price too high and the guy who does make up and is the one who might be making the decision to purchase new air brush guns or make up doesn't get to come oops sorry a vendor missed on a chance to swap him from passche or iwata. Maybe the guy in charge of lighting doesn't get to come oops sorry he will stay with what he has been using, your new product will not get a chance to get to the guy who actually has the knowledge and understanding to tell his owner why it is the way to go. Oh sorry they guy in charge of costumes and theme didn't get to see the new line of costumes that would be perfect for the new addition. Just because someone else comes up and writes the check or places the order does not mean that they guy you spent 30 minutes with was not the reason that order got placed.

Qualify the haunt, charge a nominal fee, and remember that alot of that crew may seem like they have no input, but you might just be surprised at the meetings and discussions that happen when you are not looking. Anyway I hope the vendors have a great Transworld, make tons of money and provide the great innovative products we come to expect.

Take care and see you all at transworld, I'll be the one at the bar making sure that we have all the latest information on booze, hey its an important job and I take it seriously...seriously. Oh and to the 13th Hour crew the doc never forgets a gesture of kindness look me up at transworld. Can't wait!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

i think it is all valid to the individual for me i am glad they moved the age to 16 as my 17 year old doese everything with me he motivates me and gives me his perspective on things the cost is worth it but do agree, i don't have to share the vendor cost i would rather jsut hear it is 40 bucks and well worth th e money to attend. it is worth more and would pay more. I look forward to attending to see all the peps and props. I know you dont want your hard earned moeny going to the hands of kids but you know my son is the one i always have to go to for that second copy of a catalog when i can't find mine.LOL the little bastard holds on to everything i mtry my best but with so much and so little space it just gets lost but they are his tereasures. yes i know you don't want to hear that but alot of you have benefited from his saving habits that would not have if he would not have had a second copy and i also religously give my c opies to others wanting something from them. becuase my memory is like a ghost story never know when it will materealize and or when it wont. lo thanks for being good sports and to solve the lost catalogs i now jsut scan them in before i even mess with them and electronicaly file them in my of all places haunt suplies folder.LOL have a great one all i know i am a special ed student licking the windows on the back of the yellow bus; just make sure to wave as you drive buy.
                          The Care Taker
                          John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

Some good points from The Doctor and The Caretaker.

Maybe Transworld should do a package/discount deal if you are bringing multiple people: first at full price and everyone else at $10/$20 or whatever, or five or more get in for $20 each. Like I said earlier I don't think the $40 is going to be the difference between going and not going for most, but everyone gives quantity discounts. That's just the way business works.

It's also true about buyers getting input from staff. How many of us have bought/built/set up a scare that we thought was going to be great but it just didn't work? And sometimes the owner is so focused on the business aspects that he or she needs some advise on the artistic/scary side of things from those who are out in the haunt all night every night.

Two heads (or three or four) are better than one.

Comment

shawnc : I'm not getting it. Are people confused about the two new policies?
                              There won't be roving bands of teenagers polluting the place, because along with the lowering of the age limit they are instituting an admission fee for the first time. Very few teenagers are going to pay $40 to attend.

I don't think anyone is confused about WHAT the new policies are but WHY they are implementing them. Also about paying $40...how many teenagers attend haunted houses in a season, pay for a ticket..buy a hoodie(even when you suckLOL)..get some food..go thru again? I am not saying that there will be hundreds but why are they there at all?
                              Christina
                              FEARFEST
                              Last edited by ThECRaZyLadY; 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Why? Cause they know that the TW show is THE place to go and buy stuff and most haunters will go to this convention. 1000 people go at $40 a pop is 40K in their pockets for doing the exact same thing they have done for free all these years.
                                www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Working...
                                X