Black mouth dye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black mouth dye

On one of the Travel Channel TV shows a makeup artist was working on a zombie look on an actor. They took a stick and dipped it into a black substance and put it into the actor's mouth and it made his tongue, teeth, lips and everything else black as can be. What do they use for this look?

We used black food dye as a liquid shot or black cake decorating icing. It comes in small 1 oz containers and is a concentrated translucent paste. I have found it in Walmarts cake decorating section in the crafts area.

Originally posted by Todd Shumansky View Post
    On one of the Travel Channel TV shows a makeup artist was working on a zombie look on an actor. They took a stick and dipped it into a black substance and put it into the actor's mouth and it made his tongue, teeth, lips and everything else black as can be. What do they use for this look?
    Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
    Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
    2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

Dreadworks SFX

Jon Shroyer from DreadworksSFX makes an amazing Black Mouth Dye. You may want to check out his website http://www.dreadworksfx.com/index.php I really reccomend this if you're wanting a reallllly nasty black mouth, his blood is also really good quality!

Jackie
      Rotting Flesh Radio
      “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Sounds kinda like Black Cake Icing
        Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

we sometimes use red and green food coloring and mix it with the clear corn syrup. it's nice because it's cheap and you can mix some up straight or mix it down with a little water and an actor can keep it with them and put a little in there mouth and let it run out , it gross people out. And you can make it different colors for different actors.

Comment

Here is the proper way

1 oz food dye black, red, green whatever
            2 oz mouth wash

mix this and have actor swish it around mouth then have them spit. you can have them drool it out a bit down their lips and chest to give more of an added effect of severe drool. this effect looks cool, it takes some scrubbing and soap to get it off, and don't forget to brush. I learned this trick from Fx man Magee http://www.mageefx.com/

Frank Balzer
            FrankWillisBalzer@yahoo.com
            Frank W. Balzer
            FrankWillisBalzer@yahoo.com
            http://frankwillisbalzer.viewbook.com/
            --------------------------------------------------
            www.RotHauntedHouse.com
            www.R-Fx.com

sigpic

Comment

"The Blackness"

I've seen the stuff you're talking about from the Travel Channel show. I'm pretty sure I was at Netherworld when I saw it being used, and it was applied the same way with a tongue depressor or something. They just called it "Mouth Black".

A photographer friend of mine said she uses the black cake icing. I tried that a while ago and it just turned to grit in my mouth. No matter how much saliva you build up, if you spit or let it drool out one time, you're done. You're left with gritty looking teeth and tongue and nothing else. The stuff I saw at Netherworld seemed to coat the entire mouth like some of the corpses in "Thriller". I also tried mixing the black icing with a little bit of corn syrup and it didn't work. The "black" icing just turned a brownish color.

After reading this, I tried REAL hard to make a black mouth dye. No matter how you mix them, I don't think it's possible for red green, blue, and yellow to make black. I came up with an alternative and recorded an utterly ridiculous tutorial for it here:

It's like a slimy cafe mocha! It looks cool, and it's VERY dark, but it's not the stuff I saw in Atlanta or the stuff you saw on that show. I'd really like to know what it was. If it's black dye or icing, what specific brand is it? What is it mixed with? How is it mixed? Inquiring minds want to know!
              To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Comment

At Netherworld, we use Wilton's paste food color and a few other brands. We are lucky that there is a cake decorating STORE (Cake Art) right up the street from us that sells different types of food colorings. Just the tiniest bit of paste will color your mouth for hours. And yep, we use paste handed out on new tongue depressors so as not to contaminate the container w/germs.
                I like that mouthwash idea.. I'll tell the makeup room folks about that!
                missjayne
                Netherworld Haunted Attractions
                http://www.fearworld.com/

Comment

Black mouth dye

Originally posted by Todd Shumansky View Post

I just had to join this forum so I could reply to this, and say that I was that guy in the Travel Channel show dressed as a zombie!! Netherworld is the best!
                  I ran across this page when searching for what they used on me that season at Netherworld (because I didn't know, as you could tell from my asking in the clip how well it worked)... I want to use that stuff for my home haunt this year!
                  And I see Jayne replied with the answer... Jayne is awesome, and extremely talented! Thanks Jayne! (...I'm only 3+ years late finding this post!)

Dale S.

Comment

Black mouth dye

I have also used packages of grape kool-ade. Dump the packet in your mouth, let it soak for a bit and instant mouth dye. Tastes pretty nasty at first but after 30 seconds or so you can spit it out and effect lasts for long time. Cheap and easy.....
                    Kelly Allen - Humboldt House of Horrors

Comment

Working...
                    X