Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you want... Vendors pay attention!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want... Vendors pay attention!

I've said this for years the vendors who FAIL are the vendors who build what they think people want not actually what the haunts want... some things are good idea's on paper but are not practical in a haunt. Blah, Blah, Blah...

So with ONLY FOUR MONTHS TO GO ... what do you want from vendors, what kind of props are you looking for this year?

What do you need, what would you like to see?

My response to follow...

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

I DO NOT WANT ANIMATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too expenseive, break too often, and have to many already. I think plenty of people still want them or need them just I don't want anymore nor do I need anymore.

So what do I want...

1) HIGH END COSTUMES

2) HIGH END MASKS

3) THINGS MY ACTORS CAN USE to create illusions they are something other than a person, things they can use to scare people.

4) Fake weapons that do something like blast you with air, shoot or spray water, or have some trick to them that might get a reaction form a customer.

5) If I was going to buy animations I want something that makes a lot of sudden noise... BOOM!

6) Theming supplies stuff you can buy to accent rooms like detailed frames sculpted to look scary or things you can use to details rooms. Or simply massive set pieces that you could use to make a catacomb or something that is used to make rooms detailed.

7) Props on wires that can be used to hang in the middle of a room that my customers push through, things I can swing out at them to scare them blah, blah.

I would be looking for nothing else.

Now that is just me!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President

Comment

1) How about some busts that just dont look quite right? Something you can set on a mantle or edge of a piano to detail a room but not the normal bust just something a little off. I'm not sure how to explain it but I hope this gives you an idea of what I am talking about. Detailed props and things like that.
      2) Waterproof animatronics and props that can be used outdoors for a hayride or cornmaze.
      Just my thoughts.
      Greg
      Fearfest
      Last edited by N2SPOOKINU; 11-05-2009, 09:26 PM.
      Greg Allen
      scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
      www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Hey Larry, this is a great post, I think this is exactly what vendors are looking for (such as us), this gives us an idea in what direction to go in! Keep them coming!
        Russell

Comment

no animatronics!

i want really loud noise makers and effects, just like what larry said.

i want a signal siren/horm or something that i can blare to let actors in house know next group is coming in.

more Co2 cannon stuff or fog cannons

BIG attention grabbers for out at the street

stuff to put at the street in june to get everyone in the city talking about as they drive by. either inflatable or big signs, and lighting.

Crowd control stuff specifically for haunt industry
          ummmm a new graphic design company...
          Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

OH and also to copy larrys points lol

noise makers for actors, and different scare effects for the actors...
            i have even podered using Co2 canisters like the Kobalt Tools portable air canister, and rigged up to air nozzle or something for actors to rome and shoot air blasts at customers.

also Sliding is amazing.... but whats next! and also how can we make sliding better.

pretty much anything and everything to add to actors costumes to make them not look human...
            Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Better costumes, more silcone masks and silicone APPLIANCES, more weapons.

More small props(think Fright props and Ghost ride skinned animals, etc)

Better quality static full figure sculpts. I mean more stuff like Unit 70 figures and gore galores zombies. The other stuff I saw last year wasn't as good for the price being charged.

More sound effect systems.
              Jared Layman

Comment

Larry...THANKS FOR THIS THREAD!!! GREAT IDEA

...okay, I have to second a lot of points already brought up...

This year we are foregoing construction of a lot of major sets and spending most the budget on COSTUMES and MAKEUP as well as cool props. We have virtually no animations, so it'd be cool to see what you guys come up with this year!!

Is it possible to manufacture stunt systems like those used at Netherworld? Flying, bungee, zip line harnesses, etc.

Thanks and see you guys at HAuNTcon!!!
                O'Shawn McClendon
                Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeRTaKer313 View Post
                  Crowd control stuff specifically for haunt industry

Actually, that's a great idea. More queue entertainment theme props... detailing... all with crowd control / line control in mind. Or just basic queue management vendors.

- Ryan

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
                  www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
                  Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by freak 'n' stein View Post

Is it possible to manufacture stunt systems like those used at Netherworld? Flying, bungee, zip line harnesses, etc.
                    I think just about anything we could ever possibly want or need like that has already been made - we just don't know about it yet. The manufacturers/dealers of those types of things need to think a little outside the box and show up at Transworld. This would give them a whole new market, although they may consider pro haunts to be a pretty small piece of the pie. Maybe the Transworld promoters could look at inviting vendors from outside the industry, like those at the family attraction convention.

They would be able to charge more just because they could stick "Haunt Prop" in the description. That seems to be common, until haunters start going straight to the source and buying things at the same price as everyone else.

Comment

been prodding...

weve been prodding for some time now looking for some reactions...its good to finally see them in this post.

Keep em coming !
                      "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
                      www.maliciousstudios.com
                      "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
                      http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

Do we want another animation that does the same thing as the last one just repackaged? NO!

This is the year to make smaller stuff that makes the difference, attention to detail stuff, stuff we can't buy any other place, stuff we wish we could get but don't know where to find it.

Give me stuff I can use to make entire scenes, or give me stuff my actors can use to scare people. I actually have the most incredible idea (s) and I've already told one vendors and he's like oh yeah right on! But I don't want to spill all my idea's on the table I want to hear your ideas.

We need ALL VENDORS to listen to the buyer don't make what you think is cool listen to US... your sales will increase 5 fold if you just listen to the people who actually use these products. Some of the things you are making are not practical, to heavy, to big, to tall, to hard to move, breaks to easy, or just don't need it.

Lets keep the idea's rolling in!

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Here is an idea...

A HAYRIDE LINE... effects made specfic for hayrides, things that will scare an entire haywagon of customers. That would be cool!

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

Inflatables are everywhere.

They are easy to set up, easy to store, and durable.

But most inflatables are far too "cutesy" for haunters to use.

How about some inflatables that are actually realistic and/or scary?
                            Guerilla Haunter

Comment

tell you what! if we could get a really really high detailed inflatable made as a prop that could then just deflate and be stored... that would be awesome!....

yes stunt system would be awesome!

however! im really a huge fan of the technology that goes into animatronics, however i wont buy a single one for our haunted house! too freaking expensive just to look cool. down the line i might buy a huge one for show, but right now they are a waste.

NOW! think about this... air cannon type scares, a good air cannon will scare EVERYBODY!!! EVERYBODY! its just a given... now we discussed the effectiveness of shaker cans last year. is there a way to get like shaker cans on steriods to mount on walls and in props.??? loud stuff used sparingly gets everyone! more of this...

and yeah no more animatronics. economy sucks and this year want a good enough year for most haunts to drop 4o5 grand on 1 moving animatronic.

this is a wonderful thread, and hope im not just rambling... im just brainstorming and i encourage everyone to do the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X