I have to get this off my chest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to get this off my chest.

While the haunt community is generally a supportive one, on various haunters forums -- this one included -- I all too often see people taking shots at someone else's haunt or style or ideas. While brainstorming is good, all too often it seems quite malicous.

It bothers me that idea some seem to think that there that there is a right answer. Theatrical or shock and startle; detailed or dark; gore or no gore; family friendly or adults only, et al. The idea that there are right answer to these questions is absurd. While some may not agree, I think of haunting as an art. We would not want all of our music, movies, or paintings to look the same, so why should our haunts?

Different things are going to appeal to different guests and different haunters. Why argue that one way of doing things is better than another or one style of haunt is superior?

Discussion and debate are valuable things. That is why we are here. But is there really any reason to say things that that we know may be hurtful or discouraging, not to be constructive, but simply to make ourselves look better?

Let me say, before anyone asks, this is not directed at any particular person or thread. It is not even limited to this forum. It is simply something that I have seen happen all too often when haunters get going.

Once again, I will pass my soapbox.

Dave
    Lords of Chaos, LLC
    House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Okay, somebody ticked you off.

Was it me?
    Was it me?
    Was it me? Huh HuH?
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Not you Greg, you're such a sweetheart.

Comment

Hey Greg -- as good as you are at pissing people off, this was not even directed at you. 8)
        Lords of Chaos, LLC
        House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

Sadly enough, it is far too much of a competitive industry. There is not alot of ground and we all try to cover it. There is only a matter of a few weeks to do business and we all have to fight for the same customers. It will never go away, a few you make friends with while the others you wage war with.
          "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
          -H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

I am also a musician, and for a while was interested in seeking that dream. This is why I was absent from hauntworld for two years, not like anyone cares though.

I bring this up because last year I met some people in the music business who completely made me want nothing to do with it. My songs weren't good enough, this wasn’t this, that wasn't that, everything you do creatively has your stamp on it and everyone working around wants to alter it their way. It is the most cut throat crap I've seen in my life, and I came running back to my first love of haunting. I was even offered an audition for Atlantic Records, but turned that down.

The haunt industry is the same way, though I believe it's not as harsh. Your creation is just that, yours. Either it's a collaboration effort or it's simply from one mind. Intellectual property is something that I feel the most ownership for but have no proof of. I'm sure everyone can relate, anything you've dreamed, anything you've created out of thin air you are incredibly proud of and stand behind. It is your best idea, but to everyone else it's just another taste that could be better with their own twist.
            - - Luke - -

Comment

The opening statement was crafted so well, I will just pay the ticket by a plead of no contest.
              sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Working...
              X