Clown area or no clown area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kelly
    I had a few images saved and I poked around for a few more for you. You may have some of these you may not, maybe something you can use. I made a photobucket Gallery for you. Anyone feel free to use them for inspiration. They are not "mine" but they are shared freely and should not be 100% reproduced but for inspiriation.
    Allen H
    http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/u...20for%20Kelly/
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I would NOT do a Clown area in your haunted house unless the whole haunt was clowns or somehow you had a story line that involved clowns. I personally don't like mish mash haunted houses meaning one scene is a torture chamber and the next is clowns and the next if Freddy to Jason to a bloody kitchen to whatever...

That is just me... I'd stick to a story line as much as possible.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I to hate haunted house that don't follow a story line. I think you should really try to build a haunt that gives the customers the feeling that they are really in the middle of the action/story. And like Allen said clowns just stuck in the middle of a haunt are a crutch. I feel the same way about THE CHAINSAW if it doesn't fit don't use it to get a cheap scare from the sound that it makes. And throw Jason, Freddy and michael Myers in there to, same thing.

I spent alot of time going to Disney and Universal when I was young and that is the reason I started building haunt houses not horror movies ( I do like them ) but it was the way these two place could put you in a building and totally make you believe you were somewhere else. For me it really was E.T. at Universal, your looking at a big metal building on the outside, you walk in the first door they ask you your name at what looks like a cash reg at a store then when you walk into the next room and your in a forest and it feels so real you forget your in just a big metal building. I think thats what every haunter should be trying to reach, ask your self would this scare me , would this make me believe something that I know can't be true, push the limit don't try to just get by. There's no fun in just getting by. And don't blame money for a bad haunt if we make money or go in the whole i'm always going to build something new and try to make it a better haunt because thats where the fun is for me, making people believe.

Comment

You also Have to realize that this is what we do so we look for themes and everything to make sense.

However, to the average customer, they have no idea what's going on. Thye don't pay attention or care what comes after what. As I posted earlier, I have seen reviews on our haunt mentioning rooms and things that have NEVER been in our haunt, which just goes to prove that the customers aren't very concerned with how the house is laid out.

Comment

Thanks Allen! You're awesome my friend! I really do appreciate your consistent efforts to help your fellow haunters!

I agree with the others regarding the use of clowns. In Raycliff Manor we will not use clowns because they don't fit the theme and storyline; however, if you visit our website, www.RaycliffManor.com and you read the storyline for the Carriage House, you'll see that the guests are passing into the infamous Fear Extractor machine, once used by Dr. Raycliff, and the result is being confronted with their fears. Clowns, being at the top of the list of fears experienced by the public, are a natural fit for this attraction. Of course this is my opinion and I'm not trying to defend or pursuade. We got rid of the clowns that were once inside the Raycliff Manor attraction. This was my call. For the next two years people complained about missing the clowns. Now we give them the best of both worlds, two completely different attractions and all the variety they could ask for.

Kel
            sigpic
            Kelly Allen
            Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
            www.RaycliffManor.com
            www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
            www.HauntBook.com

Comment

I would say ditch clowns as a room. But they can be very entertaining and scary characters if portrayed and acted correctly. But yeah they are usually a crutch used by haunts, but they are usually very effective.
              So personally i think they make great que line entertainment.
              Er my summary on a clown
              Good:
              *Entertaining
              *High Energy
              *Creepy
              Bad:
              *Over Used
              *Usually the actors who portray them dont have the energy to keep up the high paced persona of a clown all night

Comment

The way we worked clowns into our haunt so it meshed with the continuity of the rest of the house is we had a birthday party scene. We had a fake cake, presents, party favors, a fat kid pinata we made, and of course the clown you would hire to entertain a party. Last year was the last year we will do that scene but it always worked well. Just a random clown or clown room in your haunt doesn't always work.
                Jared Layman

Comment

Clowns are not scary to me. But some people are freaked out by them. I guess if you like them use them. But the only one I think was ever scary was the clown from IT.
                  Damon
                  Damon Carson

Comment

I'm all for clowns....especially since I just sculpted a new mask for this year. LOL. I see clowns freaking out more people than anything
                    StackerSteve
                    LoT 27
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lot-27...060788?ref=sgm

Comment

I don't find clowns to be scary, at all, but the simple fact is, clowns and chainsaws scare the bajeesus out of people. Better yet, a clown with a chainsaw

What we find scary is completely different than what Joe Public finds scary. Last June when we had the MHC bus tour come through, I asked numerous people that came through what they though. The general answer was "It was a great haunt, but I hated the maze". A few people followed that up with "But, for whatever reason, patrons love mazes, so you gotta keep it".

As for keeping to a theme, there are pro's and con's. Yes, it's hard to script in a clown house after a hospital and a toxic waste area. But on the other hand, I've been though haunts that follow the same theming throughout and I've found them incredibly boring. 45 minutes of straight clowsns, or aliens or swamps or ruins is just to much.

My 2c.
                      -Brandon Kelm
                      Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Brandon K.

Put the evil clowns in the swamp, chest deep in quicksand , as aliens open their rubber heads(the clown's) and eat their brains.
                        Who would come to see this?
                        All the people scared of clowns, that's who!

"The monster in distress" is a good theme that will satisfy many.
                        The Aliens could be little blondhaired/blue-eyed children from The Village Of The Dammed, which would also serve to make them more likable..to some.
                        Then others may pick up on the "Poor Monster" theme too.
                        Trading pure revulsion and fear for sympathy or feelings of justified revenge works.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

No Clown room (Unless it fits in with the storyline)

Have you ever walked into a haunted house about lets just say area 51, and the story is all the same thing, area 51, You don't need a clown room, if your attraction includes a storyline that includes, say a birthday party gone horribly wrong, You could include maybe a few clowns, (it depends on whos birthday it is and how old they are) If its a little girl's birthday, Absolutely! But if its an adult or older teen's birthday in your haunt I would Say NO. My haunt will not include clowns in the main haunt, however, I will have a side attraction, Dr. Pierces Field Hospital That will include clowns because of the storyline. If you would ike to read it please click here

__________________________________________________ _________________

piercemanor.webs.com
                          Owner & Host - Flatline Radio
                          "Keeping our fingers on the absent pulse of the Haunt Industry."
                          sigpic
                          flatlineradio.podomatic.com

Comment

Clowns are REALLY played out at this point. I may incorporate clowns again is some way in the future, but for so long people just threw in a clown scene for no apparant reason, and it can come off as cheesy!

Allan

Comment

Clowns are scary, they might be the single most thing people comment on 'you don't have clowns in there do you?'

So yeah you want clowns but does it fit your haunted house if not no... on one hand can you have a gacy type of character who lives in a real mansion who dresses up like a clown and kills people...sure.

But a clown room in the middle of a mansion or just inside the haunt somewhere no way...

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President
                              www.HalloweenProductions.com
                              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsHaunt View Post
                                For years we have done a clown area. For the past 2 years it has been a clown themed hall, for 2 or more before that it was a full blown room. I am considering getting rid of the clown area next year and just dispersing some of our clown props throughout the house and having clowns up front as crowd entertainers. What are your thoughts?
                                I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE clowns! So obviously I'm all for them! We have our 2 clowns set up in the back of the haunt, & we're making plans to expand the clown room out onto the dock area. It started out in just a hallway, then it became a room, now it grows even MORE which means maybe we aughta hire 1 or 2 more clowns then....
                                Either way, I'd say HELL YEAH to clowns! People are & do get terrified of clowns, I dressed up as one a couple years back & simply walked out front towards the line. I didn't get even halfway there before people saw me & started freaking out, I didn't have a chance to do my clown laugh, honk my horn, none of that stuff, people just took off all of a sudden! Good for me & my makeup/costume, kinda sad though I wasn't able to get closer 1st though before anyone saw me!

John

www.deathrowhauntedhouse.net

Comment

Working...
                                X