How High would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How High would you go?

So when it comes time to building wall panels, how tall would "you" build the panels?

To save lumber you could make them only 6 ft, you could make them 5 ft, most people won't be trying to scale them anyway, them somebody could hide and pop up for an anyplace scare if all the walls were 5 ft.
    "Last time he popped up and got me right here." Then he pops up over there!
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I use 8' walls throughout the haunt. I have 12' and 16' walls in the my pre-show "grand hall/lobby" area and my dining room scene has two massive 16' window towers.
      Kevin
      MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Most haunts I've seen and ours we build are 8ft. At the Darkness I think I've seen them use 12 ft walls and I have an idea how they do those. But they also build them to the ceiling as well. There interlocking wall system is also very impressive. No bracing involved! Larry should make a video on some of these building techniques alone. They could make a small mint from it. Some very impressive stuff.
        Damon
        Damon Carson

Comment

Mr. Haunt -- Most walls are 8' high simply because most wall panels are made from standard sheets of plywood (4' X 8'). You can, of course, make walls any height that you choose, but if vary from the standard you are adding additional labor and expense.

Dave
          Lords of Chaos, LLC
          House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

8' at the minimum... 4' x 8' is the general size for plywood and gipsom anyways, you'll save time and effort if you just utilize them the way they are.

I'm 6', 1" tall, I see over the top of a 6' panel with little effort...
            "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
            -H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

I have always wondered why the thin (crappy) osb wafer board is used, doubled up on two sides of a 2 by 4?
              If you wanted strength, thinner walls (easier to store and configure), why not use the albeit, more expensive per/sheet, but only use one sheet, of 3/4 inch plywood instead, it will take paint 50 times better, not be abrasive with flakes and be much quicker to build,easier to lay flat and store since no 2 by 4s would be used.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We are a temporary haunt, everything gets tore down at the end of the year and put back together again the next year... I really don't feel like lugging around 3/4" plywood for 2 months. The skin on our walls is only 1/8" thick, our house gets the snot beat out of it and we've never had a problem with durability. If you just put some simple frame work inside the walls it won't break when impacted.
                "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
                -H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Damon said,

At the Darkness I think I've seen them use 12 ft walls and I have an idea how they do those. But they also build them to the ceiling as well. There interlocking wall system is also very impressive. No bracing involved! Larry should make a video on some of these building techniques alone.
                  I'll second that motion! That's a great idea! I'd still love to see footage of the creation of the sets using the blown insulation foam as well!

Kel
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

With a full time location you can go 16 - 20 feet tall with your scenes. Just keep in mind that if you ever lose your location moving these monsters is hellish if you don't build them with mobility in mind. Learning the hard way sucks..... :evil:

I have never seen a haunt in a non-full time location use more than an 8 foot wall system. I would like to see someone who has accomplished mobile, easy to use, sets over 8 foot.

.....and.... I wouldn't mind knowing how Larry built the Darkness stuff...
                    http://www.innerfears.com/
                    http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

My haunt was built by Halloween Productions and I have 8', 12' and 16' walls (my location is permanent and has 20' ceilings). PM me if you have specific questions regarding it's construction.

There interlocking wall system is also very impressive. No bracing involved!
                      . The interlocking wall system does require some bracing across the top of the walls.
                      Kevin
                      MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Originally posted by Hell American Freak
                        We are a temporary haunt, everything gets tore down at the end of the year and put back together again the next year... I really don't feel like lugging around 3/4" plywood for 2 months. The skin on our walls is only 1/8" thick, our house gets the snot beat out of it and we've never had a problem with durability. If you just put some simple frame work inside the walls it won't break when impacted.
                        I don't think your haunt gets beat enough. We use either one or two sheets of 1/2" plywood on one side of a full 2x4 fram with another 2x4 down the middle, and we still get people going straight through them. Granted, they are some huge guys, lol.
                        Brian Warner
                        Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
                        Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
                        Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

dr0zombie,
                          In our "non-full time location" we have quite a few 16' walls and a few at 20'.
                          It can be done
                          http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

All ya need is a Subaru with a roof rack and a dream.
                            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I too have built very strong walls from 2 by 2's covered with only 1/4 luan, BUT I did anticipate the punch and kick zones of the average person from 5ft5 to 6 ft. tall and that is where I put the extra blocking in that wall .
                              Of course 40 miles from here is a roadside tavern that saw regular hole-punching taking place above the urnial so they put 2by 4 blocking behind the plasterboard with spike's points awaiting any intruding, plaster-breaking fist.
                              It finally happened , the guy was doing this on a monthly basis!
                              He hurt his hand!!?
                              They all went to court.
                              The Judge said, No. Threw out his case, the tavern paid nothing.
                              Let's hear it for that Judge!! "YES!"
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X