running a haunted house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running a haunted house

I want to open a haunted house in 2010 and i dont have much experience. i basically want to know what kind of permits and codes i have to go by and what i have to do to get started.

Kelly Allen's Haunt Book is a good place to start. http://hauntbook.com/
    Running a haunt takes a LOT of TIME and MONEY. Make sure you have plenty of both before even considering opening up a pro haunt.
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

I will second that go to hauntbook.com I just got his books in and wow the detailed information is great and very detailed and I have not even finished the book. The first couple chapters I have gone through have been about what you need to do and examples.
      Proud to be able to work at
      http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

Comment

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the positive feedback and I always love hearing my materials are helping others out! Thanks again!

Kel
        sigpic
        Kelly Allen
        Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
        www.RaycliffManor.com
        www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
        www.HauntBook.com

Comment

time, money and a great team!

So far everyone is right on point and I can speak from experience too because I used Kelly's book as a launching pad and bible of sorts when we opened our first pro haunt this year Grimlock Manor: http://grimlockmanor.com/

His advice was valuable but you have to take it seriously and stick to it and even then there will be plenty of obstacles that pop up that you won't expect along the way that can be both frustrating and time consuming to deal with which is why I say having a GREAT team is very important. You cannot do everything on your own and you will only stress yourself out if you try to. Not to sound discouraging at all but we realized quickly that you can't assume it's going to be easy as pie just because you either A) Love Halloween or B) Have been home haunting for years.

Put in A LOT of research, buy all the books and videos that you can and be sure to ask tons of questions. Plenty of people (especially Kelly!) are very helpful on these forums and will do there best to point you in the right direction. This helped us have a successful first year even though we hit speed bumps along the way but you learn by hitting those bumps so I encourage you that if it's what you really want to do don't let anyone tell you you can't do it because it's not impossible if you plan things out and take your time with it.

Best of luck!

Jay.
          Producer
          Grimlock Manor Haunted Attraction
          http://grimlockmanor.com/

Comment

I have to say Kelly's book is phenomenal when it comes to information!
            I actually got together with another haunt owner from my area to chat and he had a
            copy of the book...small world! LOL
            I'd also recommend getting a team together who'll help and are dedicated and talk with
            your local building inspector/code enforcement guy and also the Fire Chief. A good relationship
            with them helps tremendously. Finding out things 'before' help so you don't get shut down 'after' all the hard work.
            Research research research!

Hope this helps!
            Kirk Boemmel
            Dark Ghost Manor
            www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

I just purchased the book today. I can't wait to get it and see what everyone is talking about. Thanks for putting a tool out there like this for new haunters such as us.
              Richard Alvarado
              Moxley Manor Haunted House

www.moxleymanor.com
              www.nightscarebeforechristmas.com
              Stalk Us on Facebook
              Stalk Us on Twitter
              Stalk Us on YouTube

Comment

I think I am going to purchase that book soon. Sounds very interest plus everyone has said so many good things about it.
                Alex Griffin
                www.thehaunthouse.com

Comment

Hey Sawdust

Where you located?
                  Gary
                  Midnight Evil Productions
                  www.MidnightEvil.com
                  Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
                  www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

Working...