Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Certification

Hello, Everybody and Happy New Year!

As a Pennsylvania haunter, I went to Harrisburg for a special training seminar back in March 2007, trained, tested and was certified by the Pa. Dept. of Agriculture. I was wondering if anybody knows of this type of program in New Jersey because an opportunity to haunt there has presented itself and I intend to pursue it. Thanx in advance.

Steve....
    UptownHaunts@aol.com

"Follow the Bloody Brick Road to Nightmare Village"

What were you certified for?
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

We are required in PA to have an inspector at our haunts. We have to do continuing ed every three years. If you don't you have to go back through the classes and test again.

Besides us doing safety checks everyday, the PA Ride and Amusement Department come and check our haunts each year to cover safety issues, fire retardant, etc. It's actually a good program.

Comment

I had not heard of that, how many states do this?
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Not sure, PA has had it for many years but really started to enforce it in the past 5-7 or so. It's actually a great program. Lots of safety, fire, how to, etc. They have one in the Spring Feb 23-25, I think, that is driven especially for haunted attractions. Check out this site

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/p...id=0&palid=44&

Comment

I say stay out of New Jersey, nothing but problems there.

Comment

nothing like that here in idaho.. I wish they had that here. it would be better and safer here
              it's ok... the dark has many faces you can't see..

Comment

Yep, I can attest to this.
                The PA Dept. of Agriculture out of Harrisburg sends up an inspector (or you can have an independant state licensed inspector) come and inspect/approve your haunt. Of course Harrisburg can choose at any time to send an inspector from the main office also. We have had no problems with the local independant inspector (who lives blocks from the haunt) and have a great relationship with him. We stress safety and he appreciates that.
                It's a little nervewracking knowing at any time someone can inspect you but it's worth it to be safe and on your 'A' game.
                They always send me stuff in the mail/email that I can go to Harrisburg and attend the classes to be trained myself.

Hope this helped?

Kirk
                Kirk Boemmel
                Dark Ghost Manor
                www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Terrorknight View Post
                  I say stay out of New Jersey, nothing but problems there.
                  Hi Terrorknight,

Could you expand on that comment since I will be opening a haunt in South Jersey in the near future. I would be real thankful to hear any horror stories that might save me some time, money or aggravation in the future.

Thanks,
                  Pyro

Comment

Certification

Hi, Everybody,

Glad to see your interest in this subject. I will have to assume that New Jersey does not have a haunt safety certification like Pennsylvania has. Question # 2..... I've been looking for the New Jersey code that applies to haunts but cannot find it. It would probably be something like what you'd find at PaCode.com, "search", Title 7, sub-section 139. Can anybody point me in the right direction on this? Thanx in advance.

Steve....
                    UptownHaunts@aol.com

Comment

PA certification

To the best of my knowledge, there is no certification needed in NJ at this time. Also, since its been 3 years since you were certified, you would need to attend again this year to extend your license without having to retake the test. If you have specific questions about the seminars, let me know and I can find the answers for you.

Jason

Creative Director
                      Terror Behind the Walls
                      Halloween at Eastern State Penitentiary

Comment

Certification

Jason,

Thanx for writing. I'll be attending the February seminar in Grantville, Pa. even though I don't see my haunt ever opening here for various reasons. Taking the seminar is probably a good idea since NJ doesn't appear to have anything like it. I just figure 'better safe than sorry'.

My real concern since I'll be opening in New Jersey would be the state rules and regulations. Their regulation seems to apply only to farm properties. We all know that various other types of properties and setups are utilized for haunt attractions. Pennsylvania's rules and regulations can be found at PaCode.com, "search", Title 7, subsection 139. Does anybody know if NJ has anything like this?

Steve....
                        Last edited by Uptown Haunts; 01-27-2010, 03:44 PM.
                        UptownHaunts@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                        X