Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silicone Masks coming soon from the Bone Yard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts on Silicone....

We have between SPFX and CFX and custom creatures made for NETHERWORLD from three different FX Artists over 40 Silicone masks.

Now they do look GREAT but they do have downsides. They are very hot and can be torn - if you have lots of animations you need a welder and if you have lots of Silicone masks you need to have the skills to repair them.

For me the big PLUS of silicone is that it is cleanable - multiple people CAN wear it, so it is great as a mask used by many folks, unlike the foam masks and socks that must be more personal ( They absorb sweat and spit - but breathe better)

BUT If you have only on person wearing a thing, foam masks and sock masks can also be excellent without the HEAT. We have been doing Silicone Icons for the last few years, but last season I had occasion to slip into one of our old Foam masks and MAN it felt good!

Last year we got into silicone appilances in a big way and I really liked them (They were all custom made - mainly Vampire brow ridges and zombie radiation burns...) They lasted many applications and could also be used on more than one actor because they could be cleaned. They do wear out, the fine edges will get torn up, but they do outlast the foam by far. Don't know what we settled on as an adhesive, we tried em all, but I think it was an expensive one made for the job - Telisis or Skin Tite I think.

Re: Silicone - I am over it as a be all end all.. It is now a powerful tool in the arsenal but only PART of a good haunt. This years prime icon will be FOAM, because it works for the character, and our side show character will be SILICONE because it is the right tool for the job.

If you haven't tried silicone is suggest you do - There are many excellent masks and probably dozens more from all the companies. But like any tool you use you need to understand it. It is expensive, it can be torn by rough handling and it is HOT. Many actors will hate the masks and fight wearing them. Since they fit tight you need to find the right person for the mask who loves it and fits it. But if you can meet all of these goals you will have some magic! Sort of like finding a person to wear a stalk around character - How many of those are un-used because the actors don't want to wear them.

Just My thoughts...

Thanks!
    Last edited by Speculo; 01-23-2010, 03:46 PM.
    Ben Armstrong
    NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.Fearworld.com
    www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Everyone, Great post and thread. Ben and Alan, please stop by our booth and check out our approach to this!

Matt

Edge Designs, Booth 310
      Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Originally posted by hauntatorium View Post
        Funny you should mention silicone half masks. Hauntatorium Studios is working on Full silicone masks as well as silicone half masks. Photos will be available soon.
        Can't wait to see the photos!

Comment

We are certainly excited about the upcoming Transworld show. SPFX and CFX have by far set the standard for silicone masks, they ARE the best for a reason! Hauntatorium Studios is a small company, starting our second full year of business. We, like others, just want to offer a different variety of products, ranging from the standard latex full and half masks, as well as full and half silcone masks. Last year we had 2 stilt costumes, this year we are looking to have anywhere between 8-10 total stilt costumes. So again, we are looking forward to a great show and year, not only for us, but for everybody in the Haunt business, vendors, haunted attraction owners, retailers, ect., cause lets face it, we are all in this together! The more success each company has leads to more success in the Haunted Attraction business. So with that being said, Hauntatorium Studios would like to wish every person associated with the haunted attraction industry in this upcoming season, the very best, most profitable, exciting, and lets not forget, the most fun year ever! If you cant have fun doing what you love, then whats the point of doing it!!! We will see you all in March! Russell

Comment

Russell,

Your stilt costumes are great!! Can't wait to see what another year under the belt provides for us this season.

"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

Comment

Thanks so much for the compliment! We had some learning curves and growing pains to go through, but you have to go through them to get better! We have a great team and great friends that have helped us get off the ground, Jeremy and Reed designed our Asylum and Scarecrow, so they deserve all the credit for those! This year we are working on a couple of clown stilts, reapers, and prison costumes to name a few. Any suggestions as to what anybody is looking for, we are all ears! thats what we are here for! Russell

Comment

Hauntatorium,

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with, Can you check your PM?

Thanks,
                Allan

Comment

Working...
                X