Coffin Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffin Ride

Just wondering if any haunts have the coffin ride by Haunted Enterprises. Some members of our haunt have been looking into this. I have herd mixed reviews on this. Can anyone give me their overall opinion on this as to whether it was a good investment or if it was troublesome.

If there were issues, what were they?
    How much use did you get out of this before you encounterd problems (if you did)?
    How many people attended your haunt -vs- how many actually payed extra for the ride?
    What were your rates?

Thanks a million for any info or stats!!

Kelly
    Kelly Anderson
    Owner- Halloween Undercroft
    http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
    Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Coffin Ride Experience....

Kelly,

We purchased a coffin ride last year, and we have put quite a few miles on it. We ordered it early, and took it to all of our promotional events like farm fairs, and charity events. I will say the coffin ride is somewhat portable w/ the right trailer or even a pickup truck.

At the first event, we tried to sell a coffin ride for $3... and we couldn't get anyone to get in.... not even kids. So... we decided to offer the ride for free.... then we started to see some spiked interest. Once we accumulated a small group of people when the fair was busy... our booth was not left unattended until the fair closed... We were hoping for that kind of crowd and popularity at $3 per person... but we were at the fair to promote, not to make money. So, we decided that subsequent events would have a free coffin ride.

In an attempt to recoup our money on the coffin ride, we decided to sell rides for $5 at the haunt. We also put $2 coupons on our all-access ticket. It rarely sold! Large groups of people would stand outside and look at it, or talk about it.... but rarely were people using it. Once again... we gave a few away here and there to peak interest... which it did... but people weren't going to open their wallet to sit in a dancing coffin.

FINALLY we found the right combination.... we didn't advertise it, but on our busy nights, we gave a FREE coffin ride ticket to those who bought any VIP ticket. This gave those purchasing VIP an extra sense of value... and it gave much needed attention to the coffin ride. Once we began giving out the coffin ride for free with VIP, crowds began to gather around the coffin ride (watching the TV) and general admission customers were lining up to get the experience.

Overall, we had absolutely no problems with the coffin ride. It worked flawlessly for at least 500 to 750 runs this season. It is definitely a turn-key setup. We were taking our first coffin rides within 20 minutes of unloading it from the truck. Looking back on the entire debacle of 2009... I would have saved the money (due to lower attendance and October's record rainfall). My opinion, if you're looking for a 1 year investment... the coffin ride is not your buy... BUT... you may be able to sell it better than we did and be more successful.

good luck
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com
    sigpic

Comment

Patrick,

I have a question. On most of the youtube videos I've seen the operator usually holds the lid shut or keeps it from bouncing while the coffin is in operation. Do you have a problem with the lid bouncing open and closed or was it just those videos?
      Rusty
      Arx Mortis - Tech Department

-- Some people claim to see dead people, I see everything.

Comment

When we ran our ride...we had no problems with the operation at all...As far as the lid bouncing up and down...that wasnt an issue...if thats happening..maybe they have to much psi running to it? As far as what we charged, we charged 5$ a head...and every single night we pretty much maxed out the number of people we could run in it. We did about 2,500 people on the coffin ride and that was the first year for it and also our competition had one as well! Get the one with the smells! that makes the ride for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by bcghosthunters View Post
          Patrick,

I have a question. On most of the youtube videos I've seen the operator usually holds the lid shut or keeps it from bouncing while the coffin is in operation. Do you have a problem with the lid bouncing open and closed or was it just those videos?

I know both times I have "taken the ride" no one stood there to hold the lid shut. To me that just added to the effect(s) while the coffin was in motion. If a coffin is bouncing around that much I'd believe that the door wouldn't stay sealed for too long. As for keeping the coffin from bouncing around, maybe I'm wrong but I do believe the "bouncy, bouncy" is the way it was made to operate. I would think if the coffin was restrained in some way to prevent it from doing what it was meant to do it just makes the coffin work that much harder & "live" a lesser life not to mention take away from the overall experience of what a coffin & its passenger might experience.
          John Elks - Staff

www.deathrowhauntedhouse.net

Comment

Coffin ride operations

Originally posted by bcghosthunters View Post
            Patrick,

We have had no problem with the lid, nor have we had anyone hold the lid shut during operation. The lid is connected with a 6' piano hinge, and it seems to have plenty of strength. Additionally, you only need one person to operate the coffin ride, so there are not a ton of operation costs.

Sophisticated terror - why did your coffin ride do so well? Where was it located in relationship to your lines? Do you have any pictures of the outside presentation of the ride?
            Patrick Barberry
            www.legendsofthefog.com
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was kinda concerned when I saw the guy holding the lid while it was in motion. I hope to get a good look at one in St. louis.
              Rusty

Comment

hey there-We made its own little area in our midway area...dressed it up like a western-ish funeral parlor...and it was around the same area the haunt lines were at...ill try and dig up a picture or two...

Comment

Not a very good pic as this was being disassembled in this pic..but you get the general idea...and the inside was all wood paneling..flowers on stands...etc...also a note on getting the word out about the ride...is all about how you market it in my opinion..we ran some radio ads just talking about this ride...and it proved to bring tons of people out and some folks came just because of the ride! It worked well for me anyways. Hope this helps
                  Attached Files

Comment

coffi ride

Thanks a ton for all the feed back. Its nice being able to a questions from everyone so we can make our best educated decision on this.

Thanks again!
                    Kelly Anderson
                    Owner- Halloween Undercroft
                    http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
                    Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

We've been looking into gettig one too, I love the idea of it being a part of the VIP upcharge very cool and it woul draw attention to the attraction.

We've been looking at a several ideas for this year, a scairstructure, great for promoting the haunt at fairs and what not, looking at a video until that customers can wear and then buy a dvd of their experiance in the haunt and the coffin ride.

Ed
                      www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com
                      Ed Roberts
                      Founder
                      The Nightmare Factory
                      www.nightmarefactorysalem.com
                      www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Comment

Last March, 2009, I attended the HCP show and found the coffin ride. It took me a couple of days of looking at it (and everything else) to make the decision to purchase it--$3,000 is a large price tag for a home haunt. I am very disappointed in the overall manufacturing of this product and even more disappointed in the customer service (or shall I say lack of)!!! I was promised delivery of my coffin ride the end of May, beginning of June. Then again in July, and finally received it in August. When I purchased the ride in Vegas (which is where the company is located), the owner told me that he would save me the delivery costs by taking a trip to see his family located near Reno, NV and if I would like to meet him there and pick it up there, there would be no delivery costs. Then I heard from him saying he would be delivering a ride somewhere out by San Jose and I could pick mine up there (which would be closer to me than Reno). When the coffin was ready for delivery, I ended up having to drive to Bakersfield and they tried to charge me $100.00 for HIS portion of the gas to deliver it. During our third weekend (the 7th day) our ride broke down after approximately 3 hours of use. A cross weld broke and it was either pay someone to fix it or be down the rest of the season. I chose to have someone weld it for me. Not only did he weld the broken piece but he re-welded the other cross brace because it was also a bad weld. It then took 4 of us almost a half hour to put it back together again. I called the owner and told him (this was in the middle of Oct.) He told me he would send me $200 to cover the cost of the welding and for our time and trouble but I would have to give him a few weeks since he, too, was in the middle of the Halloween season. I said that was no problem. By the end of the Halloween season, not only had the weld broke, but both screws broke that hold the lid chains in place to keep the lid from flopping open and the lining in the top of the lid has fallen out . The piano hinge has loosened considerably. I realize there is a great deal of jarring and movement in this ride, but I would expect that it would last a little longer than the 7 hours total running time that we used it after paying $3,000 for it!!! I called him again in November and he told me that he would take a trip out here the middle of December and give the coffin a once over and also he would be getting me my check soon. It is now February--he has not contacted me nor has he sent me the check that was promised. I really had considered purchasing the element that injects smells into the coffin ride this year, but I am thoroughly apprehensive after all the problems I have had to date and the lack of customer service.

Comment

Sorry to hear from your bad happenings..Its like anything...things break, people get busy...Just be patient and email or call them...Im sure they will take fine care of you...Our coffin ride took quite of beating running over 2,000 people in it but still works great. Def get the scents, thats the best part of the ride! Its funny to see the customers gagging inside...This is transworld season and I know they are gearing up from talking with them this last week and are super busy...Just give them a phone call...they are really nice guys to deal with.

Comment

I did call AGAIN last week and left a message and I still have had no response. I am generally a very patient person but it has now been 4 months and I have yet to receive any satisfaction. I was born in a day and age when a persons word meant something, not just hallow promises. I'm sure they are very busy gearing for the transworld show, which I will also be attending, but that doesn't mean that their former customers should be neglected and that they shouldn't stand behind their product. A simple phone call shouldn't be asking for too much.

Comment

Well you have me taking second thoughts about getting one in St. Louis. Thank you for your comments.
                              Rusty

Comment

Working...
                              X