vacuforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacuforms

i was hoping to find the old post instead of posting an old topic again but... who sells vacuforms? better yet anyone know how to make them? i want to make something that is a mix between a stone wall with bones pieces mixed in.

thank you

You can try www.oakislandproductions.com ... I know they carry vacuforms. I have seen HPI use them but I don't know if they make or buy them. -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I don't know if it would be cost effective for you to ship in from Canada, but I get mine from centrestageplastics.ca. They do great work and are the cheapest I have found, but again I pick them up and don't have to get them shipped to me.

Colin

Comment

Provost Displays is another source of vacuform panels many of which are used at the Darkness. http://provostdisplays.com. They offer something similar to what you are looking for http://provostdisplays.com/cgi-bin/T...&catalogno=139.

If you want to make them yourself, you will need to build a vacuform table. There are sites on the web that describe how to build one.
        Kevin
        MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

it would be a tad costly to do a good size room in that stuff... Ahh to have $$
          Sean De Wane
          ----------------------------------------------
          The De Wane Asylum
          www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Here's another...

http://www.scenicservice.com/vacuform.html

Kel
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

When possible you should purchase vacuform panels made from ABS. ABS is inherently flame retardant.
              Kevin
              MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

I thought ABS adds to combustion, whereas PVC doesn't?
                This goes back to why ABS sewer pipe(Black plastic) fell into disuse versus PVC sewer pipe(white plastic). ABS has some oil in it, supposidly PVC does not?
                But then this could all be wrong?
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Contact GristleP at Http://www.handmadehorrors.com he builds his own units and made some awesome skulls and bones for our crypt walls.
                  http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
                  Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
                  When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
                  If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

Comment

thanks for the feedback you guys.

Comment

We had great results on our crypt walls with a few vacuformed bones, styrofoam chunks, and monster mud. I don't have any pics handy unfortunately

Maybe JoeDog or Ms Scarlett has some to post?

Comment

Originally posted by gridbug
                        We had great results on our crypt walls with a few vacuformed bones, styrofoam chunks, and monster mud. I don't have any pics handy unfortunately

Maybe JoeDog or Ms Scarlett has some to post?
                        with your mention of materilas used: sounds like it came out pretty nice. hope to see pictures!

Comment

Ms Scarlett has all the pics....
                          http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
                          Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
                          When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
                          If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

Comment

since someone mentioned it can someone explain to me once again what is all in monster mud and how to seal it so it doesnt become muss if moisture gets on it.

thanks!

(i thought it was latex paint and cauk, but i could be wway wrong)
                            Sean De Wane
                            ----------------------------------------------
                            The De Wane Asylum
                            www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Y'all have to smack me in the head when I don't respond. (I don't read EVERY thread!)

Hmmm... I dug around and can't find any pics of the crypt walls that actually have any of the vac-formed skulls and bones on them. In Fact, the only pic of the crypt walls at all is this one:

You gotta remember, our camera was on it's last leg this Halloween. But for some dumb ass reason, we have EIGHT pictures of the stupid pumpkin! *grumble*grumble*grumble*

Ok - FYI - Hubby (Gristle) built a small vac-form machine that he uses in our kitchen. It was built the exact size of our oven. He built a little wooden frame the size of an oven rack. He screws a sheet of cut plastic in between two wooden frames then slides them into the center of our oven at 400 degrees until the plastic starts to 'sag'. (About 4 minutes) Then he takes it out and slaps in on his home-made vac table. The Vac Table is actually a wooden box with peg board on top and window ceiler foam around the edges. A shop Vac hose is attached to a whole cut in the side of the box. When you lay the hot plastic over a "buck" (mold of what you want to vac form) the Shop Vac sucks it down tight. Let it cool for a couple of minutes and then you can take the plastic out of the frame and trim it down.

For Crypt walls, Gristle took a 'femur' from Anatomical (Bucky Leg bone) and cut it in half lengthwise with his band saw. The two halves were layed on the vac table and we made a thin plastic mold of them. These were then poured full of HydroCal to make a "Stone" positive that is WAY more durable than the actual cut bone. He made four 1/2 femur bucks. That's how many would fit on our small table.

For skulls, he took one of those el-cheepo plastic skulls from Wally-World (Or some chain store) and cut it in half. Same process. Make a thin plastic mold off the original, then pour four bucks out of it. He tilted the mold so the bucks would be sort of looking 'up, down, left or right'. We could fit three skull faces on the vac table at once.

We cut out the bones then screwed them to the plywood walls. We then chopped up lots of styrofoam blocks and hot glued those to the walls. (Watch out! That's how I cut my toe with a shovel! We desided that blocks cut with a saw were just FINE after the $1,000 trip to the emergency room.) We then filled in between and around the bones with Great Stuff. A coat of Monster Mud gave all the foam and Great Stuff a hard 'shell'. (Monster Mud = 5 gallons Joint compound + 1 gallon latex paint)

All of that was spray painted black with a Wagner Power Painter. We then 'dry brushed' a grey semi gloss over that. Bones were highlighted with a very light grey. Then we decorated with strips of thin cloth, layed 'corpsed' buckys in niches, piled bones in 'windows' as shown above. They looked really cool. Sorry we don't have more pics.
                              ------------------------
                              The child is grown, the dream is gone.
                              I have become comfortably numb.

Comment

Working...
                              X