Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious

How many of you do this as your primary job/business. Or do most of you have to make a living like the rest of us smucks?
    Greg Salyers
    Fear Entertainment

Hmm

I am a smuck...just like you
    You will find most of us are
    There a re a few exceptions like the cat in Mt Carroll
    Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

I think one reason alot of side jobs is for insurance...
      Sean De Wane
      ----------------------------------------------
      The De Wane Asylum
      www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

I run a themed room inn and operate the haunted attraction. I've also always got a number of other projects going! I'm not happy unless I've got a full calendar and I'm working toward goals. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it's not so good. :lol:

Kel
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

If you have a real job (meaning you work for someone else) do you take the month off or how can you possibly get everything done?
          Greg Salyers
          Fear Entertainment

Comment

The Ravens Grin Inn is a haunted, haunted house open almost every night of the entire year. I work on it all day long many times, I work in it many nights sometimes finishing the tour at 2 am.
            Tours here can easilly require 90 minutes to complete.
            I do most of the tours myself until the fall, then we take on help as needed.
            I have done 98% of the work ever done here. I just about do it all(I haven't figured out how I can operate on my own "Hems" yet?)
            I get alot of satisfaction working this way, if you like it, I did it, if you don't like it, I also did it! The buck stops here (I wish more of them stayed longer)
            I do not follow any pattern as far as how much money I spend , because mostly I don't spend, I do, create, make it happen some other way, which still seems to entertain and stimulate most people most of the time.
            I put alot of my own physical effort into every tour, this is in part, my own job security, because I don't think anyone else is stupid enough to work like this, so they can only see it here!
            Of course doing things this way also leaves alot of the fun just for ME!
            In 19 years, being open like I have been, if the average haunt sees a season as being two weeks...I have been open 475 seasons!!
            I have never been able to figure out why more haunt-halloween lovers are not open like this?
            (I seem to be feeding this glorious addiction constantly!!!!!)
            I seem to be in reasonably good health (physical) 57 years old.......
            ..all without booze, drugs, caffine, tobaccoo, or now chocolate, gave that up recently.
            I can't have these types of things getting in the way of my natural high and insanity.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by gregsalyers
              If you have a real job (meaning you work for someone else) do you take the month off or how can you possibly get everything done?
              Don't eat, Don't sleep, and drive very fast!

Comment

Word! :lol:

Kel
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Our day job is putting textures on concrete swimming pool decks, sealing natural stone work and doing fancy expansion joints and structural crack repair. Even though I sort of own the company, I do a lot of the hands on work and when the haunt is open I do 2 weeks of double shifts and going into commas. Sunday becomes an off day for religious reasons.

However, our day work is dependent on weather so all year long our rainy day fund gets used and helpers still work building things for the haunted houses. We might have to actually take one week where we tell all the contractors we work for that we are "on another job" and set up the bulk of the haunt but, then it is double shifts with a schedual that gets tougher the bigger the event is.

We get a little break for a few weeks as the haunt gets all the props taken out and becomes a fire and rescue training house. Then by the end of November the pool season is over with and we go tear down the Haunt.

Lather rinse repeat.
                  sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by gregsalyers
                    Easy... Nicotine, Acetaminophin (pain reliever, not narcotics), Caffeine, and Jagermeister

Since we are a temporary establishment, the time spent with our attraction starts August 15th and ends mid November... 7 nights a week for the haul. I, as do the rest of our crew, all hold full time jobs the entire time. It sucks...It's alot of sleepless nights and little time to spend with family and friends, but we get it done.
                    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
                    -H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

I seem to work for all of the oil companies too driving all over the place every day.
                      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

So the question is...do you do it for the love, or so you actually make some money at it?
                        Greg Salyers
                        Fear Entertainment

Comment

For the love but if you are not making any money it will come to a end.
                          p.s. I do not run a pro haunt, I want to some day soon but for now it is a home haunt.
                          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

We do it for the love and hope to make money in the process. I guess the honest answer is we do it for both, but it's the passion that drives me! :wink:

Kel
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Passion for Haunting doesn't leave any whip marks on one's back, but it can rip those back muscles lifting and working frantically to get things ready, fixed........
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                              X