No announcement yet.

Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a full-time college student with a part-time job and a full-time love of haunting. I'd say that's all in a good days work! -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I'm a Shmuck. I run a costume shop all year. I just LOVE the added time and reponcibility of running a haunt during my 'busy season.' I love it so much, that I ran myself into enormouse debt over it and got nothing back out of it. (Oh wait! I did cut my foot with a shovel to the tune of a $1,000 trip to the emergency room - no insurance.... AND I broke the car window out on the way to the haunt in super cold weather when I didn't have the time or money to get it fixed and got to drive around with no window in the 20 degree weather for two weeks... AND some jackass side swiped my mother's van in the parking lot of said haunt. Luckily, mom has said nothing about that big scrape all the way down the side of her van - NOR has she noticed that one of the back doors won't open anymore.) My husband desided to start a side line business on the internet this past year so that he would have MORE TIME to devote to the haunt... You know, the one that LOST money two years in a row. :roll:

I'm taking a year off. I can't stand this much FUN!
      ------------------------
      The child is grown, the dream is gone.
      I have become comfortably numb.

Comment

Originally posted by gregsalyers
        If you have a real job (meaning you work for someone else) do you take the month off or how can you possibly get everything done?
        I take a little time off every October and just really stress out a lot.
        Jared Layman

Comment

I am a full time magician/illusionist/hypnotist and own my own magic & costume shop. I am fortunate in that because of my performances, I can take as many shows as I want during the month of October & my performances help fund the haunt, although, this year for the 1st time, my haunt is self sufficiant. Meaning I made enough in ticket sales in 2006 to pay for this years haunting.
          www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Thats a great succes story dirk.. Alot of people open up haunts and expect to bring in millions their first year. It took my five years to even break even. Luckly next year will be pure profit...

Sean
            Sean De Wane
            ----------------------------------------------
            The De Wane Asylum
            www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

i have to work three times as hard at my regular job just to pay the bank note. as far as last year ,coka cola make a product called full throttle. it works pretty good at getting you from five oclock to midnight. after we closed for the season i work a few hours every night. if im not working overtime at my regular job to pay the bills

Comment

I work at a local lumber mill that actually is on both sides of our small town (my business partner works on the other side of town)...
                I operate a machine that requires a lot of overtime at times and it is stressful...
                This year (was supposed to be last year) we're hoping to run our haunt for the first time. We are able to work on the building as soon as the owner of the complex empties it and should be able to work evenings all spring/summer until we open (hopefully end of September).
                Getting started seems to be the catch...the passion is there but the emptying of the building and stuff can bog a person down, along with the job.
                But my love and passion for haunts will push me through!

Kirk :twisted:
                Kirk Boemmel
                Dark Ghost Manor
                www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Dirk, Can you teach someone self-hypnosis?
                  Do you self-hypnotise yourself to turn off your sackz-appeal when surrounded by screaming young girls?
                  This would be a handy talent, if it could work this way?
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks Sean,
                    Last year was a major challenge from having to find a new place on Sept 8th, move everything out of that location, move everything into my new location on Sept 11th, redesign on the fly, having to leave town on the 13th-16th for a prior commitment and have my small crew try to understand my chalk marks on the floor, and then open on time on October 6th only to have my Dad die on Oct 11th. So yeah, it was an interesting season. Hopefully this year will be a LOT less stressful.

BTW, while I am on the topic, to give you an idea of the Wisconsin haunt community, Tattoo from Terror, and Dave from Shawano Manor called me on Sept 9th and offered my crew a place to haunt. Dave even offered to put up an extra haunt tent and allow me to run my own haunt on their property! And Kevin & Randy from Rockford's Screamfest offered to let me borrow some of their equipment and even offered to drive up and help build on a weekend!

I am truly blessed to have such good friends in the community.
                    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

BTW, while I am on the topic, to give you an idea of the Wisconsin haunt community, Tattoo from Terror, and Dave from Shawano Manor called me on Sept 9th and offered my crew a place to haunt. Dave even offered to put up an extra haunt tent and allow me to run my own haunt on their property! And Kevin & Randy from Rockford's Screamfest offered to let me borrow some of their equipment and even offered to drive up and help build on a weekend!
                      OMG! That's SO FREAKIN AWESOME! Thanks for sharing that Ron! I love to hear stories like this. These are the types of things that keep us all going! This is the kind of energy that is going to drive the IAHA to new depths and new heights for the haunted attraction industry!

Kel
                      Chris Riehl
                      Sales@spookyfinder.com
                      (586)209-6935
                      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Well my brother lives in LA and our haunt is up here in Sacramento (about 7 hour drive). He would drive, or fly up every weekend starting in Sept. He almost lost his day job for taking the week around Halloween off, and he did it anyways, what a true haunter! I would start sometime in August, of course while working a reg 40hr job. The schedule was re-fricking-diculus!! All this for a haunt that was open for 3 days!

Speaking of energy drinks, I would say that this year our haunt was the haunted house that Monster built. We bought that stuff by the case load! (thanks costco) Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me any more, I think my blood is %65 caffeine now! I wonder what we will use this year.... :roll:
                        Heartstoppers
                        Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
                        www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

Im a smuck, I work as a FULL time EMT for a private ambulance company. I am also using my experiance as a Emt for emergancys that may come up at the haunt.
                          5 years in the business and still ticking
                          Ive been through HELL on Earth. What can you do?
                          USSN

Comment

Jast I don't know if this means anything or not, but some of my best and biggest fans over the last 20 years have been medically trained people, Doctors, nurses, morticians, chiropracters!
                            Some have offered the guess that it may have something to do with a morbid sense of humor, gallows humor if you will?
                            Of course they do get to mentally cut-loose here and laugh and anticipate what might be happening next to their friends, ex cetra, but of course this is the same thing everyone else gets to feel and consider here too.
                            I believe that any haunt customer (a real customer here of their own free will, not being drug in by their friends kicking and pleading) have to be people who have some confidence in this life or at least some measurable "smarts" on certain levels, humor potential helps alot too.
                            Identifying the customer makes it more possible to track them down and lay a trap for them outside their front door! (Insert evil laugh here~)
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                            X