Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centralized Sound System for Outdoor Haunt

Greetings Haunt Fans:

I am curious if there exists a product that allows me to run the 20-30 various sound effects in my outdoor haunt from a single source. The idea was to place waterproof speakers in various locations, bury speaker wire, then have all the wires join in one location. The hope was there was a multi-channel computer program that played mp3s, then some kind of output / box that all the wires plugged into.

Does something like that exist? Or do I need to invent it?
    SHADOWS HAUNTED ATTRACTION
    http://www.ShadowsHaunt.com

Hey man I sent ya a PM might have an idea for ya here is a pic of something I built a few years back...

Comment

Sound Issues

I would like to know what you come up with, I have always had issues with working sound throughout our home haunt since I am not a big sound guy myself.
      Grant Brott
      Haunted House Startup

Comment

I'd love to hear about this, too!

- Ryan

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
        www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
        Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

Cool well I did a how too on this years back but have since taking down most of my how to's since I have begone selling my props...BUT as a former Home haunter I love to help out!

I will try and post some info here in this tread instead of moving it or starting a new thread! Should have it on by late to night!

Comment

sound

That is awesome it is much appreciated.
            Grant Brott
            Haunted House Startup

Comment

We have a product called AudioRT (Audio Route) which allows you to leverage all the multi-channel soundcards found in computers nowdays to pretty much do what you want. You assign a WAV file to a track, tell it what output you want it to go to, and if you want it to loop. The app does the rest.

It does not curently support any form of triggering, but in the future if there is interest it might.

AudioRT releases to the world on March 15th (maybe a few days sooner if I can get it through test faster), and sells for $30.

Most machines will let you get 4-6 channels out, and if you have bigger soundcards you can do 10-12 easily.

I made the concious decision to NOT support MP3's because of the extra CPU load required to decode. When working with many channels, stability on lower end machines was more important. It's easy to convert to WAV from MP3.

-- I
              -------------------------------
              http://www.fx13studios.com

Comment

Just a suggestion. But wouldnt it be easier to run your wire up high. Maybe on posts or along a tree line. Rather than have to bury alot of cord. Maybe run the wires along the trails but not on the trails. But it would be better if it was up high so actors dont trip and unplug speakers ect. You may try wireless rock shaped speakers like theme parks use as well.
                Damon
                Damon Carson

Comment

We considered wireless but A) it's far more expensive and B) it defeats the purpose of a centralized sound system. Most wireless signals have a limited range, and our haunted forest is a good half-mile from start to finish.

As for AudioDT...sounds cool!

So here's another low-cost solution / question -- is it possible to wire a speaker using a cord that connects from the headphone jack of a standard CD player? If so, I wonder if I can simply wire all the existing portable sound systems I have to speakers and run speaker wire to their respective locations along the trail.

Any thoughts?
                  SHADOWS HAUNTED ATTRACTION
                  http://www.ShadowsHaunt.com

Comment

Alright I wanted to get this up the other day but have been so busy...

OK here is the start of my sound system, it is powered by 2 PC power supplies that powers 4 car audio decks that then gives me the ability to play 4 different sounds on 16 speakers throughout the haunt.

Here are some pics of my build if you have any questions just ask all give a price list with the items to try and give you guys an idea.....

PARTS NEEDED!

Here is a pic of the decks I use... They have both a MP3/SD slot.
                    They run around $50.00 each

2 PC power supplies with cords used to power the decks
                    They run $5/$10 bucks with a cord at most comp. repair shops.

4'/8' sheet of MDF wood to build a cabinet (a lighter wood could be used)
                    Runs about $25 a sheet

Speaker Wire (you can get it at most shops in 100 foot roles or buy it by the foot)
                    A 100 foot role shouldn't be more then $20/$25 bucks
                    ***TRY TO GET A HIGHER GAUGE WIRE IF YOU PLAN TO DO LONG RUNS***

1 Power Bar
                    About $5/$10 Bucks

OK this is all you need if you just want to do a 3/4 car deck set up!!!
                    *** 1 PC power suplly can power up to 3 decks at a time***

Here you can see just how simple everything hooks up!
                    ***If you want more info on the wiring just PM me***

***to be Continued***

Comment

Here are a few more pics of the wiring

Now in the 1st pic I posted of my whole set up you can see a mixer/amp & MP3 players this is the second half of my system. I originally built this for the front of house set up and I now use this for my pro haunt as our outside the house sounds and entertainment as well as out side PA system.

All it consists of is:

3 Cheap 2/4gb MP3 players (you can usually get used for $20/$40)
                      1 1000 watt amp (you can usually get used for $40/$100)
                      A Mixer I got this 4 channel at Radio shack on sale for under $100

Comment

OK here are few more shots if there are any ???'s just ask love to help out... I haven't posted a lot of my new stuff lately and realized how much I miss posting stuff lol it's great to have forums to share info get new ideas and build and create new things...

Here is a few of the back side and the bridge I created... you simply plug & screw in your wire...

This is inside the box All the internal wiring is hidden and accessed threw the top of the box.

Wires wires more wires lol.... I also added some LED lighting (car neon stuff) & wired it inti the mix.

Comment

OK there you have it!!!! I do build & sale these on our web site and can custom build one to your needs if you don't want to build one your self or the cost for the items is higher in your area.

Simple 3/4 deck systems starting at $325 & up! contact me if interested...

Complete systems 3/4 deck set up as well as Mixer/Amp & MP3 combos
                          Starting at $575 & up! contact me if interested...

Comment

Working...
                          X