question to all with a perm location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question to all with a perm location

So I am hoping at some point on switching from being a temporary haunt to having a year round place. I am aware that once you do that, the stipulations or requirements a city can have you go through can me maddening. I am aware of my states fire codes but was wondering how you go about the whole procedure? Say you find a perfect location, you then hire an architect to draw up your plans, you go to the city and present your plans and they shoot down the plans or make you change a bunch of things. you have now wasted the $ for the architect and all the planning you did. So in summary, how is the best way to proceed when I eventually want to cross that bridge?
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

I would say go about it as your in a year round location, but will only have temp. occupancy... therefore your still a temporary haunt. You'll still have some things to deal with for being in the building year round... sprinklers, smoke/heat detectors, emergency doors, means of egress, etc. etc.

But your C.O. would still be temp., meaning you'd have to re-apply before you open each season and be re-inspected. But, if your not putting an addition onto the building or adding another floor... the inspectors will just "glance" over the project because as long as you were approved once... then nothing changes... how could they not approve you again?

I'd really talk to the architect for a good while and figure the best strategy for your BUSINESS prior to applying for a C.O.! When applying, use as many temporary terms as you can... theater flats, modular, temp., etc. etc.

Also, make sure your building is zoned and ready to move-in for you! Make sure it's up to code, both building and fire... BEFORE YOU EVER SIGN A LEASE!!! Also, make sure your lease is very clear about what you are responsible for and what the landlord is responsible for!

Also, get to know your states codes yourself! You may actually know a way around something that no one else will see! -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I'll definately back tyler on this. KNOW YOUR STATES CODES!! Know as much of yours states rules, regulations, codes before you start putting all your ideas to paper. Especially if your paying someone to draw up a plan for you.

On the other hand, your architect should be up on his codes as well. But the more you both know about what you can and cant do, the better for you in the long run.

Also if you have an idea that your unsure of whether it will pass or not, give building safety, the fire marshal, or who ever handles this in your area a call and run it by them and see what they have to say. You might find that working with them in the preplanning will make them more apt to work with you later on.
      Kelly Anderson
      Owner- Halloween Undercroft
      http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
      Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

So, yeah... even if you try to approach this as a non-year-round event, your city will most likely force your hand to hire an architect. This isn't a bad thing!

When hiring an architect, his (or her) services go beyond just doing drafting. They are your liasion with the city to fix anything in the plan that the city has problems with, as well as ensuring that your plan for getting people in and out of the attraction is legit, up to code, define the types of materials you need to use, how to handle ADA and accessibility, and pretty much anything else along the way. They help you fight for your interests, and to accomplish your goals within the scope of the law and code. This is NOT money that will be wasted.

In fact, it's prob just worth it to hire one off the bat. And by doing this, you position yourself to be available year round, and you come across as less of a fly-by-night operation.

A tip tho - Don't just hire an architect. Your city will likely require drawings for ALL systems, including (but not limited to): Electrical, Plumbing, Heating, Fire sprinkers, Fire Alarms, Emergency Exit Lights, etc. Your architect firm should also have certified engineers on staff to handle the rest of the mechanical drawings.

Hopefully, your location fits your needs exactly before you move into it... but if you need to add restrooms or any other sort of permanent facility, you will need to go through all of this.

Cheers, and best of luck!

-- I
        -------------------------------
        http://www.fx13studios.com

Comment

Working...
        X