Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunting: It's in my Blood!

Hey Haunters!

As some of you may know, I am going to Kenya this summer on a mission trip. I will be traveling with SportQuest ministries which is a Christian ministry dedicated to reaching the people of my generation and helping them reach the rest of the world through sports. Sports is a universal language which allows us to quickly connect with people and form lasting friendships. By example, we then use sports camps and servant events to show them the love of Christ Jesus and share the Gospel with them. I have traveled with SportQuest ministries before (Belgium 2006) and I desire to travel with them again because they positively affect the lives of people around the world in real and lasting ways. The life changing impact is beyond words for both the people with which we are reaching and the athlete-missionaries. This trip starts on June 13, 2010 and ends on July 5, 2010. It begins with a few days of training in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We then will fly to Kenya, where we will lead basketball clinics and share the Word of God with the people of Kibera, one of the largest run-down areas in Africa, in the city of Nairobi, for 1 week. Then we travel to the Rift Valley province of Northern Kenya to live amongst the Samburu Tribe leading basketball clinics “in the bush” with local youth for another week. For more information on this mission trip, visit SportQuest’s website at http://sportquest.org/index.php?opti...=119&Itemid=68.

As a fundraiser for this mission trip, I will be selling Spooky Buttons at TransWorld 2010 for $1 or any donation of your choice. See the attached picture for a sneak peek! Above all, I need your spiritual support through prayer, now and during the trip, and not just for me, but for everyone I am traveling with, and especially for the people we are trying to reach. This is not my only fundraising effort. I am working hard to raise the money for this trip through a couple other endeavors, but I have $4,195 to raise and any assistance from you will help me positively change the lives of the people of Kenya. I will serve on this mission trip for 552 hours, which is 23 days, and if you would like to donate more, another fundraising effort I am leading is sponsoring me for 1 hour for $8, ½ a day for $91, or even a full day for $182.

Additionally, many of you know that Shane Dabbs will be selling DVD's about his haunt, Graystone Manor. If you purchase these DVD's from me, part of the proceeds will help support this mission trip!

I would also like everyone to know that Geoffrey Graves from spookybuttons.com has graciously helped me with this fundraiser - many thanks to him!

I sincerely THANK each and every one of YOU who consider sponsoring me spiritually and financially through the purchase of Spooky Buttons or another form of donation!

Haunting - it's in my blood!
    Lauren
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fear Unfathomed; 02-28-2010, 08:10 PM.
    sigpic

Lauren, put me down for 45 of them so I can give them to my crew that are working the Columbia Haunt Tour for Transworld.

Greg
    Fearfest
    Greg Allen
    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

THANKS!
      Will do!
      sigpic

Comment

Lauren,
        I will most defiantly be picking up a few of these as well, good to see it's going to good use
        Last edited by Mike Honcho; 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM.
        HHA Member

Comment

Lauren

Can you deliver them to my room after dark? Shane and its I will just wait for an answer! Shane this time.
          sigpic

Comment

well get a couple there.

Peter T
            FS
            Fables Studios
            Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
            https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Thanks guys!!
              And Shane, the likelihood of me personally delivering is in proportion to the amount you order.
              sigpic

Comment

I will be at Shane's party, the Darkness tours, and walking around the show - make sure you find me if you want some!
                sigpic

Comment

how can we get them if we can't make it to the show?
                  Lord of Fright
                  "I'm Smiling cause they have not found the bodies yet!"

Comment

I can ship them to you. Depending on how many you order, that will determine shipping.
                    I have a PayPal account or I can do checks, as far as payment goes. PM me for the details.
                    sigpic

Comment

The buttons are in!

I have the buttons in hand and ready for Transworld! Geoffrey Graves from spookybuttons.com did a great job with these!

Make sure you see me if you want one!

I'll be at Shane's party, working for Distortions on the show floor, and working all 3 Darkness tours. You can also get some at the Pale Night Productions booth!

Also, if you buy one of Shane's Graystone Manor DVDs from ME, part of the proceeds will go towards my mission trip to Kenya as well.

Thanks in advance!

Lauren
                      sigpic

Comment

Finally... Mission Trip to Kenya Recap!

Habari (Hello) my haunted friends!

I've been trying not to post too much on here until I got this written, so now that I have this posted, you should see me more of me on the boards. But this was a priority I wanted to accomplish before I started posting like usual again. And I wanted to post it on here since almost half of my fundraising came from the haunt industry!

Now that I am back in the USA and have settled into my new job, I have finally found the time to sit down and share with you my marvelous experiences in Kenya, Africa, this summer. But first I must THANK each and every one of YOU for supporting me in both spiritual and financial ways. It is because of God’s work through you that I am able to share these stories with you.

The mission trip began with a training camp in Minneapolis, Minnesota, for a few days. This is where the SportQuest team first came together and began to grow as one. We went through Bible studies, cultural lessons, and basketball practices to prepare us spiritually, mentally, and physically for accomplishing God’s mission for us in Kenya. People from the church in the area who came to speak to us commented on how close we all were, and when they asked how long we all knew each other, they were shocked to hear our response of 2 days. From the beginning, the Holy Spirit was at work in us. At the end of the training camp, we were united in mind, spirit, and mission – ready to fly half way across the world to share the Good News.

We then left Minneapolis and flew to Amsterdam, where we had a long enough layover to explore the city for about 45 minutes. We then jumped on another plane and landed in Nairobi, Kenya, where our new friends met us at the airport. Sammy Njiru and his wonderful family hosted us for the week. Sammy is the leader of an organization called the Youngsters for Christ Team (YCT) in the Kibera slum of Nairobi. He has a passion that I have never seen for serving those around him, right in his city. During our stay, we led basketball clinics at the local court in Kibera, where we were able to witness to a couple hundred people a day. Most were children under the age of 15, but some were the adults standing by to observe. We also played basketball with the older Kenyans (20+ year-olds) every day, connecting with them on many levels. We became close friends with the members of YCT, learning about their individual lives and love for the Lord. The young kids in the slum were always covered in dirt and were always playing in and around things that would be forbidden by American parents, but all that these kids were looking for was love. They would run up to me, hold out their hand while staring at me with eyes full of hope, saying “Mzungu (white person)! How are you?” and I would reach out, grab hold of their hand, smile and say “I am good. How are you?” We would then walk hand in hand, usually 3 or 4 children holding on to me, down the trash-filled, dirt path.

The overwhelming level of need in Kibera is astonishing. As an American, it is hard to walk around in the “streets” of Kibera, looking at the absolute poverty, a poverty I have never seen in the States, of everyone who lives there. It is not just a temporary thing for them, it is life. It is what they are born in to, where they work, where they live, where they play, and where they praise God. The people of Kibera are so joyful and thankful when they worship that it makes me wonder how people who have so little can still sing so much praise while those of us that have much just go through the motions of church on Sunday.

While in Nairobi and Kibera, we were able to establish relationships that are going to last into eternity. God used us members of SportQuest to encourage the people of YCT with their mission that is geared directly for the city they live in. Through our clinics and games, we were able to get some of the surrounding Kenyans passionate about playing basketball which has led to a request from those Kenyans for year-round games and clinics, opening up thousands of doors of opportunity for YCT to take the lead and share the Gospel. Relationships were established between YCT and more of their local people that they are passionately trying to reach and between YCT and SportQuest. Please pray that these relationships will not dwindle away, but will be strengthened daily so that the Lord can carry out His good work!

We then flew to the Rift Valley Province of the Samburu tribe in Northern Kenya. It is incredible how God can work to the same level of power but in opposite environments in the same country. The Rift Valley Province is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. The Samburu people are very primitive, but they are not poor. Their wealth is actually measured in the number of goats and camels they own. The environment was clean and healthy – a very stark contrast from Nairobi, however, the need for the Gospel was the exact same. In Samburu, we stayed at a sports camp that was literally in the middle of nowhere but founded by an American, J.L. Williams, and led by a Kenyan, Stakwell Yurenimo. While with the Samburu tribe, we led basketball clinics and played basketball games like we did in Nairobi, and we were also able to visit the nearby schools and teach Christian doctrine. Since we were at an established sports camp that had a relationship with the nearby schools, we had hundreds of kids each day, from the age of 5 to 15. The language barrier was much more prevalent, but the language of sport remained universal. An exciting relationship was established between SportQuest and the local team of 20+ year-olds. After playing them in a game on one of the first days we were there, they asked if we could work with them every day, during any time we had, until we left. They loved to play basketball but they had no coach and no training. We jumped at the opportunity and taught them the more advanced attributes of the sport after our clinics each day. They were so thankful for our time and instruction, and I am excited about this new relationship between the teams because I see them becoming the YCT of the Rift Valley Province. Because the language of sport is universal, we were able to connect with everyone who stepped out on the court and I realized how easily the language of love can be spoken in the dialect of sport.

We were also able to interact directly with the tribal members. We received a great blessing by being able to witness a Samburu wedding, from the chanting to the slaughtering of the bull to the dancing. By establishing these countless relationships and friendships, there are thousands of opportunities just waiting for our return. We were able to share the Gospel with these people, but we were also able to learn about their culture, customs, and beliefs so that we can equip more SportQuest athletes to carry on what was started this summer. In their culture, going out of your way to do something nice shouts “I’m a Christian”, whereas in Western culture, people who do the same things are just considered “nice people.” This made me realize the large amount of opportunities that are there just waiting to be cultivated by eager Christians. Due to our culture, we often ignore the impact of doing nice things, but in Samburu culture, anything from offering someone a sip of water to installing a well for water sends the message of God’s love. Please pray that the Holy Spirit will take what was started in Kenya this summer and multiply it!

It is impossible to capture what I experienced in Kenya in words or a letter. There are many more stories and testimonies that I would love to share with you, but this letter would continue on for pages. If you would like to hear more about how God moved in very real ways and about my amazing encounters with the Holy Spirit this summer, let me know and we can chat! God is alive and oh is He moving in Kenya!

I would like to thank each and every one of you again for your continued support. This mission trip would not have been possible without you. God knew what He was doing from start to finish and I know that He still has many more marvelous plans for all of us. I sincerely ask that you join me in keeping all of my Kenyan friends in your prayers as they are either warriors for the Lord or are beginning a relationship with Him while facing many challenges that we never encounter. Asante sana! (Thank you very much!)

Bwana asifiwe! (Praise the Lord!)
                        Lauren

I have attached 3 pictures. The first one is the SportQuest team and the Youngsters for Christ Team in Nairobi. The second is the SportQuest team and the Samburu team in the Rift Valley Province. The third one is me and some of the Samburu people. Enjoy!

“And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.”
                        -1 Corinthians 13:13
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Sorry I haven't contacted you before now but I just talked to Brad from Ultimate Fear and he is going to send you some money from me so be on the look out. I know its a little late but please think of it as an incentive for the start of your next trip. I still want a button, if I can get one !! An if your not going on the next mission trip, please still except the money as a donation to what future things you and your colleagues may plan. This is some thing that I will try very much to spread around because this is something I very much support. I love to see my fellow haunters put the industry in a good light. An please get in touch with me next time you are planing a trip. I might be able to help out more with the effort of my own church.

Yes I know we all run a charity night now and then, but what your doing right now is beyond that. An I thank you for being part of the hauntworld forum and sharing your work with us. I just wish I had more to share.

(spell check hates me)
                          Last edited by darkXmoon; 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM.
                          ~*~How is a raven like a writing desk ?
                          ~*~*~There both the perfect tools for picking at the brain.
                          ~*~*~*~An my favorite game you ask ?
                          ~*~*~*~*~ Raven on the desk of course.

Jessica Ward

Comment

Thanks for your donation! I really appreciate it. I happened to sell a few more buttons after the mission trip to Kenya and I intend on sending that money directly to the organizations (YCT and Samburu) that I am connected with over there.

The buttons, however, are permanently MIA. What remained of them was stolen out of my truck on Halloween (amongst my haunt hoodie and t-shirts, etc...) HOWEVER - not all is lost! I do know where a hidden stash is, so I can still get you your buttons. How many?

If there is enough interest, I will turn this into a continuous fundraiser and I will order more buttons from spookybuttons.com. I will then sell them again at TransWorld and can send them to people and haunts (for your cast!) throughout the year. If there is an interest in this, let me know and I'll do it!

Thanks!
                            sigpic

Comment

If I had more time I would love to give it to you but with out a haunt to work on for the holiday season I put myself on some other projects. I'm one of those people that if I'm not working on some thing, I'm not happy. So right now helping a haunt with a graveyard ( HauntedDeadEnd), helping with costumes at another haunt (Capt.Chaos), and working on an Christmas display (Christmas in the Oaks). After that I have my hands on a project with my own church where were sending Christmas cards to soldiers over seas. An then I'm getting ready for a trip in February where I'm going to Austin TX to see some old friends of mine and see what it has to offer.

I know I overload my plate but its hard to not do this when its all my favorite foods. So really if I had the time, I would. Do get back with me next time your getting ready for this again an I'll see what I can get my hands on for you.

As for the button, I'm happy with just one really. I would rather you sell off what you can rather then send them to me. I'll be the first to admit I'm a button whore but I loose them so quickly my friends ask why do I even buy them. If your in Transworld and see some one from the Ultimate Fear crew, ask them if they know Jessica Ward, if they do, give it to them for me. I live in the same city as them so it will get to eventually. I like buttons...

By chance do you know who owns the "haunting: It's in my Blood" Trade Mark? Or even if it does have a TM ? I know that sounds like an off question but I'm actually really interested.

Jessica
                              ~*~How is a raven like a writing desk ?
                              ~*~*~There both the perfect tools for picking at the brain.
                              ~*~*~*~An my favorite game you ask ?
                              ~*~*~*~*~ Raven on the desk of course.

Jessica Ward

Comment

Working...
                              X