Foam Padding Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Padding Help

Hey guys I am making my asylum walls and I want to get foam in size of a piece of plywood. Maybe something like egg crate foam or something cheap so that when I staple in the buttons on the material it appears padded anyone have any ideas what would be the cheapest way to do this and where to get the material?

padding

Depending on how thick and cushy you want it. You can look in your phone book for carpet supplies (they even carry some at Home Depot) and get cheap carpet padding. The cheaper stuff is more foamlike and better for such an application as you do not need the durability of being walked on like under home carpet. You can get a pretty decent size roll for $40 or less each, and just layer it up to the thickness you want and tack it up. I did this same kind of thing for a haunt a couple years ago and it came out great. I also suggest throwing a little heavy duty glue on the end of the pin tacks to help alleviate the possibility of one popping out (especially if you do lots of pins and make it really tight). If you need it REALLY thick, they sell padding foam at many fabric stores like Jo-Ann Fabrics, but this can get really expensive fairly quickly.

Hope that helps!
    Mike "Pogo" Hach
    -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

A local man ran a foot of carpet up the hallways of his new Motel which had to be removed for combustability reasons.
      Old carpet foam sometimes was made with a fumey toxic chemical to keep bugs out which can make people sickly so stay away from that old stuff if someone offers it .
      I used have a local supplier of odds & ends of really nice foam from a woman who reappholstered furniture, maybe you have some similair local business you could approach?
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Foam mattress pads. I buy mine from a chain called big lots for $20 each. Thats the cheapest I can find them anywhere. They are 3" thick and about 6.5 to 7 foot long I attach them at the top of the panel and allow the bottom 12 to 18 inches to go unpadded. Its really not noticed by the patrons as they rarely look at the last foot of a wall, as long as the buttons are there they will mentally fill in the foam padding.
        http://www.biglots.com/Home/item.asp...d=172&iid=7425
        Carpet pad is free (if you get it from the dumpsters behind the store). But the mattress foam gives a better look because it is fuller and softer and buttons out really nice.
        Allen H
        Last edited by Allen H; 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks Guys

I will post pics when finished. Great Ideas!

Comment

YAH! Big Lots!

They had pickup truck bed liners for full-sized trucks cheap. I used them for rubber hallway mats.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
            X