Help With Creating a Relay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Creating a Relay!

So I purchased a PicoStorm (http://www.frightprops.com/FrightPro...ct.asp?ID=0796) and it can only power (2) 500 watt lights......that's not enough light! I was thinking more along the lines of theater lights, and the only thing i can think of is creating a relay that would plug into the lightning box then also plug into a 20 amp outlet (if using a theater light) allowing the box to work normally but with a more powerful light. I drew a diagram, as seen below. I'm not that high tech and would really appreciate it if someone could send me a link to the relay i would need and I believe that would be all is just a relay and solder or screw (terminals) the wires of some cut-up extension cords to it. Help would be great appreciated.
    Attached Files

No dice

Unfortunately that won't work. If you were using a purely digital device, just off and on, then a relay would work fine. But your dealing with an analog device that varies the output to produce a dimming & brightening effect, not just off and on. A circuit could be built using a triac or similar components but I think you'd be getting in over your head. Two 500watt lights are pretty impressive as is. That alone will pull over 8 amps. I suggest trying out what you have and see if you like it.
    Scott Ames

Comment

If 1000 watts isn't enough

Keep in mind Fright Props also carries the i-Zombie line. You can get up to 2400watts with those. Also lights-alive firefly goes up to 3000 watts.
      Scott Ames

Comment

You know I totally forget it does dim so a relay would be useless, as for firefly I am now interested and researching that. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

We're happy to talk, and answer any questions. Demo videos are also on our web site and YouTube.

Steve
          Lights Alive
          www.lights-alive.com
          Steve Peterka
          Lights Alive
          www.lights-alive.com

Comment

Yah Steve, I'm pretty interested. I sent you a pm.

Comment

The fire fly controllers are awesome!! cant go wrong with one or two of those things!

Kale

Comment

Taylor go with the Firefly 501 i think is the series we have. You can use LED lighting for quicker flashes and it has an ambient light control on it so you could have a street light or porch light dim or flicker when the lightning flashes. I say go with this one and put your up on the boards or ebay.

Greg
                Fearfest
                Greg Allen
                scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Thanks Greg, I actually have my eye on the 201 model as it is only $50 more then what I originally paid for my current one. Also with led I feel as if it would take too many units to achieve the bright wash i want so I will probally end up using (2) 1000 watt halogen worklights with some CTB gel and maybe some other gels. Its just I still beleive that leds are still trying to be improved and it takes ALOT of them to give out a huge output, don't get me wrong leds are amazing but as for large washes......not advanced enough yet. I just want to learn a bit more about product then I will be posting a for sale ad on here.
                  Last edited by TaylorSGilman; 03-11-2010, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Taylor, I'm not sure I made myself clear. You can use regular incandescent lighting but this is the only machine that I know of that gives you the option of using LEDs if you want? I know the 5 series cost more but the end result of having the exterior lights flicker or dim enhances the scene dramatically.Not to mention the 4 channel lightning effect. Just my opinion. I realize cost is always an issue with all of us but the neat accessories firefly has can not be ignored. Whichever one you choose its a good buy so good luck and have a great season.

Greg
                    Fearfest
                    Greg Allen
                    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

You can always upgrade

Taylor,
                      You can upgrade the 201 to the 501 in the future if your needs grow. I believe you can get 50% off the cost of the 501 when you exchange your 201. Check with Lights Alive for the details of the offer.

Scott
                      Scott Ames

Comment

It's 50% credit of the purchase price of your existing unit, with exchange, toward an upgraded model.

Steve
                        Lights Alive
                        www.lights-alive.com

Originally posted by SinisterControls View Post
                        Taylor,
                        You can upgrade the 201 to the 501 in the future if your needs grow. I believe you can get 50% off the cost of the 501 when you exchange your 201. Check with Lights Alive for the details of the offer.

Scott
                        Steve Peterka
                        Lights Alive
                        www.lights-alive.com

Comment

Working...
                        X