3D Haunt books? Sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Haunt books? Sites?

We have been debating on doing a separate 3D attraction this year for the younger crowd, my question is: Are there any videos, books, sites, etc. That can point us in the right direction? We would like to paint this all ourselves as it seems most companies that offer the service are pretty steep in the pricing, and we have several local artists that would love to work on this.

If anyone has any info that would be of any help chime in and thanks.

Really the only book is John Burtons book which is out of print. I used my copy to paint our Pirate themed 3-D attraction with Great results.
    There is no real info out there that I know of that will make the process easier.
    Here is what I did that ended up being the best result.
    I sketched out everything first on paper then in photoshop I broke the image into chunks by playing with the contrast.
    I then chalked the sketch onto the walls with chalk. It works best when its pieces of the shirt (for example) and there is a bit of negative space before the fold Or is the shirt is off then all the muscles are there but they are not all one blob, that way its easy to have many colors that give depth as opposed to having to make a whole shirt blue.
    Once the sketch is chalked paint the figure or set in with killz, its all white and really helps reflect the black light back through the paint so it pops. Again you dont want out lined art, you want it to be in chunks, it really helps the depth.
    ( ****Note the zombie art is not mine i pulled it from the net to illustrate a point, I have no rights to this image and use it in a matter which is not for profit)

When the killz is dry you can paint the colors over the killz, If the wall panel is black then staying in the lines is not to important as the UV paint barely shows up if there is no killz under it.
    The way to decide which color to paint a chunk is not what color looks best, you have to think differently. Paint a swatch of every color you have available on one board that you can carry with you. I then wrote the name of the color (hard to tell sometimes) and looking at them in the black light (with glasses on) number them according to depth.
    On your sketch (the one on paper) assign a number to each chunk according to how close it is. So If it were a giant face, the tip of the nose would be a #1 the cheek bones lips and brows would be a #2 the cheeks forehead, and chin would be a #3 etc.. etc. Once the numbers are assigned its as simple as paint by number.
    Experiment with mixing colors, the color that comes out is not as important as the colors depth number. If you mix orange (#1) with blue (#8) then the color that is made will have #4 (and be brown). If in even amounts the above is true, more orange than blue and the # slides up to maybe a 3 more blue and it goes to a 5 or 6.
    White , normally a highlight color is in the middle as far as depth goes, So adding white to the end of something as a highlight does not work, it actually looks like a little hole as opposed to a highlight. Orange is your highlight color as it is the closest and brightest.
    There is a huge informational hole as far as 3D haunts go, Once I get my airbrush makeup DVD finished I may make one for this. It was very frustrating having to learn this myself last year.
    Feel free to PM me and get my number and I will help you any way I can. This is hard to learn as there is a learning curve, It is very rewarding in the end though when it is done right.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

chromadepth

The technology is called chromadepth, if you google search for it theres a lot of web info on it. Also, one of the back issues of Haunted Attraction (I dont remember the issue number or have it handy in front of me) was invaluable when I was helping design a 3D attraction for the first time. The theory and tech end of it are a lot simpler than you would imagine.

Also through experience, especially with kids I suggest the paper over the plastic glasses as 1. they cut out your peripheral vision which helps scares, less complaints about hygiene or a need to clean glasses nightly/hourly, and 2. they can be paid for by a sponsor and be a coupon for that sponsor if you get them custom printed.

Good luck on it...its a lot of fun to play with.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
      -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

According to Chromatek (the company that produces 3D glasses), here is the general rule:

"On a black background, red will appear closest, blue furthest, and the other colors will fall in-between according to their place in the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue)."

Their website (www.chromatek.com) has some information, on the process, including use of tint, other color schemes, etc.
        Last edited by HauntedMemphis; 03-17-2010, 08:58 AM.
        sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Definitely paint swatches and check. Most of the paint brands I have used orange pops alot further than red. I know the depths vary according to color but they also vary according to brand.
          John Burtons book says that red appears the closest but I found that orange painted right beside it appears closer. Perhaps the formulas have changed since the book was printed? Who knows but you can never go wrong if you check it first.
          I also endorse the paper glasses.
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

look at american paper optics site, they have a few ideas.

Not sure if WIld fire has anything at their site, we have used their paint and makeup before.

Ed Roberts
            www.westcosthauntersconvention.com
            Ed Roberts
            Founder
            The Nightmare Factory
            www.nightmarefactorysalem.com
            www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJGg-SG-auk

found this video... you need chromadepth glasses, but if you have them this is way cool. HAUNTERS TAKE A LOOK SEE... hmmmm.

Maybe we do a chroma light show in the queue and up sell glasses?!
              Ed Roberts
              Founder
              The Nightmare Factory

Comment

We've successfully run a 3D haunt here in Memphis for 7 years. Also, American Paper Optics is located in the Memphis area and I get a discount on the paper chromadepth glasses. Send your email address to patrick@hauntedweb.com and I can forward you some instruction material we used for seminars at Hauntcon a few years ago.

Also, the best paint I have found can be bought at http://www.dayglostore.com/ The WildFire paints do not pop like the dayglo ones do.

Good luck!
                Patrick

Comment

I will also vouch for DayGlo paints...half the price of most others and they look great! They are a little bit thinner consistency than Wildfire or Nocturne, but you cant beat the price. They are actually like 4 blocks away from us...great customer service too.

If you need white I suggest Rosco Super White, its a little pricey...but havent found a better UV white than that. Awesome for eerie ghostly glow effects too.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
                  -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

Very useful, thanks all...
                    Ed Roberts
                    Founder
                    The Nightmare Factory

Comment

Working...
                    X